Glazier Express

Aug 17th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Glazier Express

I would like to travel the Glazier Express from Chur to Zermatt. It is quite expensive, is the main train line as scenic or does it travel another route from the Glazier Express. Also I am travelling on the Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur is this one worth it. Also has anybody travelled from Lugano to Tirano (Bernina Express) to Chur in one day?

Karen
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:11 AM

You'll definitely get feedback about this, especially if PalQ is here today.

IMO the Glacier Express is worth the money and the time. You can do the exact same route on regular trains...one difference is those "regular" trains do not have the Panorama Cars and many of them don't go all the way through without having to change. But the changes aren't hard to make as none of the stations on the entire route is large; just slows you down a bit.

Pal will tell you the Bernina has more spectacular scenery and he may be correct.

I've done longer journeys than your proposed one by rail in a day. I don't necessarily recommend it for everyone but "train buffs" seem to enjoy these in particular.

Have a great trip.

The scenery, obviously, is the same
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:11 AM

The Glacier Express is a train consisting of special wagons. The wagons have huge panoramic windows and is air-conditioned.

There are other "normal" trains that use the same route. They are cheaper and also have big windows (but not as big as the panoramic windows.)

If you'd like to save money, then take a normal train. See sbb.ch and press "e" for English.
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:12 AM

Sorry...meant to say "the scenery is obviously the same" regardless of which train you take on the GE route.
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:16 AM

Here is Rick Steves' webpage on the Scenic Swiss Trains.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...srailjourn.htm

Mainline trains travel the same rails as the Glacier Express so the scenery is the same. Use the Swiss rail website to see what is available when you want to travel.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/

Pick up a picnic lunch to eat on the Glacier Express or equivalent train from the Coop in Chur.
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you have all been a great help.

Aussie
Karen