Single day road trip out of Portland OR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a business trip in Portland OR mid-August, and I'm spending a few extra days after work to explore the area. I was thinking of taking one day, renting a car, and going on a road trip. I've never been to the West Coast and I really wanted to see the Pacific. I also wanted to visit California and see the redwoods. I know this is ambitious, but I was hoping on just taking a driving tour all day, not really stopping at attractions. Is this really out of the question? Am I going to run out of time if I want to drive down, see redwoods, and drive back to Portland in one day? I'm thinking of starting at 5am and getting back at 8pm.

I was thinking of driving south from Portland on route 5, entering California and seeing redwoods on route 199, and turning north on 101 in Crescent City. Google maps says this should take 11-14 hours depending on when I decide to leave 101 to head back inland to Portland. So...will I hate myself? Is this more work than I'm anticipating? And is the scenery worth it?
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Will you hate yourself? Well, I certainly hope not. If this is your only chance (barring another trip) for the foreseeable future, then sure, go for it.

Here's your route - https://goo.gl/maps/L143j

South on I-5 to US 199, over and out to the coast, via the Jedidiah Smith groves. You don't actually need to go into Crescent City, just turn back north on US 101 from the junction.

Go north past (IMO) the most scenic part of the Oregon coast, the 70 miles or so between the state line and Port Orford, then continue north through Bandon (nice "old town" waterfront) and turn inland at Reedsport, taking Oregon Hwy 38 back to I-5. SR 38 is very scenic on its own, passing through a pretty canyon created by the Umpqua River before the coast.

Actually, having just written that, I'd probably do the trip in reverse, as you'd have the coast on the "right" side of the road if you go south on US 101.

Rather than a 5 AM start, could you leave the night before and spend the night somewhere in southern Oregon? The more time to enjoy the redwoods and south coast the better.
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 03:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Gardyloo's plan is about as good as it gets. But -- the map says 12 hours driving time but I'd guess it is more like 14+

So I'd definitely try to get started late afternoon/early evening and try to get 200+ miles under your belt so the next day is more manageable.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 06:05 AM

We love to drive the Oregon Coast; however the stretches of 101 with good views of the ocean are between Brookings and Port Orford and between Florence and Lincoln City. There are also a few good ocean views in the Cannon Beach area.

Thus our favorite parts of the drive are from Brookings to Port Orford (56 miles) and Florence to Cannon Beach (158 miles), but not Port Orford to Florence (100 miles).

The 56 miles between Cannon Beach and Florence is rich with sights: Ecola State Park, Haystack Rock, Depoe Bay, Otter Crest Scenic Viewpoint, Yaquina Lighthouse, Newport's Bay Front, Cape Perpetua (spectacularly scenic), and the Sea Lion Caves to name a few.

I believe you will have a better time and a better sense of the Oregon Coast if you restrain yourself and take time to smell the roses by doing the 402-mile loop Portland-Florence-Cannon Beach-Portland.

Driving is slow on 101. The 402 miles takes eight hours if you don't stop, but you will want to stop. At the minimum you will want to visit the two most dramatic sights: Ecola State Park (just north of Cannon Beach) and the drive to the top of Cape Perpetua.

If you want to push yourself to the max, add the Historic Columbia River Highway. Drive on I-84 to access this wonderful road and drive at least as far as unforgettable Malmouth Falls.

The coast and the Columbia River Gorge are Oregon's two top attractions.

HTtY
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 06:09 AM

Access the Historic Columbia River Highway at Corbett.

HTtY
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 06:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
How many is "a few extra days"? I like Gardyloo's route taking Rt. 38 west off I-5. About 5 miles before Reedsport stop at the Deans Creek elk viewing area.
If you don't have time to spend among the trees at Redwood NP, stop at the "Trees of Mystery" along 101.
Depending on how much time you have you could come back over US 199 to Grants Pass and maybe get a view of Crater Lake.
To get a good look at "the other side" of Oregon, leave Crater Lake and go east to US 97 and go through Bend, Madras and The Dalles and come back west on I-84 to get back to PDX.
Be sure to stop at the parking lot for Multnomah Falls (left exit on I-84) on the way back to PDX.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 07:43 AM

>>How many is "a few extra days"?<<

The OP apparently wants to explore the Portland area and says >>I was thinking of taking <u>one</u> day . . . << for this road trip.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice so far!

When I say I have a few extra days after my business, I mean 3-4 days. I was planning on staying in Portland the whole time except for this single-day road trip. While I would love to spend more time on the road, my limiting factor is actually money. I'm a graduate student trying to plan my trip as economically as possible... If I make my road trip take only one day then I only have to cover a single day's rental car fee. Also I have a free place to stay in Portland, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to take an additional day and book a hotel somewhere in southern Oregon. It's unfortunate that I have to plan my vacations like this, but every dollar counts!

So I'm getting the general sense that I should go south down the coast instead of north so I can pull off more easily, is that right?
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 08:54 AM

<i>So I'm getting the general sense that I should go south down the coast instead of north so I can pull off more easily, is that right?</i>

Right, south on I-5 to SR 38, out to the coast, south on US 101 to the junction with US 199, back to Grants Pass on US 199, then back to Portland on I-5. You'll make the coast earlier in the day going in this direction, and assuming you'll be a little pooped after the coast and redwoods, the driving back north on I-5 will be easier.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 11:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The TriMet system in the Portland area is a bargain at $2.50 for a single ride or $5 for a full day (light rail, bus and trolley) The east end of the red line light rail is outside the baggage claim at PDX.
After seeing the Oregon Coast you will want to come back and see more of what Oregon has to offer.
You will see some Coast Redwoods along US 199 on the way back to the Oregon border.
You may find that renting the car downtown is cheaper than renting out at the airport (PDX).
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 12:06 PM

<i>So I'm getting the general sense that I should go south down the coast instead of north so I can pull off more easily, is that right?</i>

If you drive all the way to Brookings, yes. But, if you drive only to Florence, not necessarily. We will make the drive from Florence to Cannon Beach on the coming Wednesday, and we will start in Florence. We prefer to get I-5 out of the way to better enjoy the drive on the coast.

HTtY

PS I don't recall a problem approaching a pull-off from the south--about half of the cars are driving north.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 01:21 PM

>>PS I don't recall a problem approaching a pull-off from the south--about half of the cars are driving north.<<

Me neither. We get that same sort of comment on many threads about Big Sur/the CA coast. That one should only travel south so you can turn out. Huh? It is mostly a two lane road - what is hard about it? Travel the direction that makes the most sense re your overall plans.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 06:09 PM

<i>PS I don't recall a problem approaching a pull-off from the south--about half of the cars are driving north...</i>

Nor I; however I do seem to recall that there are several places along the coast (around Gold Beach IIRC) where the best views are ahead of you while you're driving south; the same views are obscured by headlands or curves in the road if you're heading north, meaning you'd only see them (and therefore be able to stop) in the rear view mirror. Here are a couple of such views that I know for sure are subject to that problem. The turnouts themselves are not the problem, it's knowing which ones are the most rewarding.

http://gardyloo.us/20130116_27a.JPG
http://gardyloo.us/20130116_84HD1a.jpg
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

The only reason I wanted to go north on 101 was in the hopes of seeing a sunset over the water, but I actually looked up when the sun's setting (overplanning much?) and it'll most likely be later, more like when I'm back on 5 en route to Portland. So I think I will change things around and take the coastal highway first. All this advice has been amazing, I really appreciate it!
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 07:45 AM

<i>All this advice has been amazing</i>

It sure is, but perhaps in ways you won't know until you have driven the first 500 miles of this marathon. Please do yourself a favor and discuss your plan with Oregonians you meet while you're doing business in Portland.

HTtY
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 08:55 AM

I should have added that I believe folks you meet in Portland will tell you that if you want to see redwoods as you most likely envision them, you will need to drive to The Avenue of the Giants and spend time wandering in Founders Grove. Round trip from Portland that drive is 930 miles/16 h 2 min, and if, if you want to include the Oregon coast from Brookings to Cannon Beach it is 1,021 miles/19 h 14 min.

HTtY