Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

San Fran Road Trip (yosemite big sur napa) Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning an eight day road in April. We've never been to San Francisco and love taking pictures and nature so we figure this is the way to go! We definitely want to see lots of nature but we're not big hikers or anything. My plan is to stay in San Francisco for two nights, drive down to Big Sur and stay for a night, drive to Yosemite from there and stay for two nights, drive to Napa/Sonoma and stay for two nights and then to Mendocino for a night before heading back to Sacramento to fly home to NY. I'm trying to research all this and think maybe we're cramming too much into eight days. Any suggestions or highlights that we simply can't miss? Any tips on the best spot in Big Sur or the best place to see Redwoods in this area? I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:54 AM

I think you are trying to do too much. Others may disagree, but I like a more relaxed pace to my trips. If you cut out one destination, it will make things more relaxed.

For this trip I would cut out Mendocino since you are only planning to go there for a night and is a drive to get there and back. I would add that night to the Big Sur area - that way you will have 2 nights everwhere, meaning 1 full day in each location.

Another posibility is instead of staying in Napa or Sonoma, you could do that as a day trip from San Fancisco. You could add an extra night to your SF stay to accomodate that, then go to Big Sur for a couple nights, then to Yosemite, and then home from Sacramento.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I agree with J Correa about doing too much. You'll be spending too much time in the car.

I would plan to spend more time in the city sightseeing. There is so much to see and experience there. You could spend all 8 days there easily.

I too would eliminate Mendocino (too far, but do a day trip from SF to the Point Reyes area to get your coastal fix. You could also get your redwood fix by stopping at Muir Woods.

With Big Sur and Yosemite. I would pick one and spend two nights there. I personally would pick Yosemite.

Do Sonoma as a day trip from SF.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Oops, had not finished yet. I was going to add that I like to base in one spot and do managable day trips from that base. I suggest you do that with SF. Have a geat time.

-Bill
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:55 PM

I think basing in San Francisco and doing day trips would pretty much rule out Big Sur, Yosemite, and Mendocino..
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. I'm thinking we'll cut out Mendocino and hit up Point Reyes and Muir and Napa as side trips while we're based in San Fran. We will stay in Big Sur for two nights and Yosemite for two or three. Any suggestions on "Must Sees" there? Thanks again!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM

On your way to the Big Sur, stop in Monterey and Carmel--lots to see. Be sure to visit the state park on the coast just south of Carmel; the name escapes me just now, but it's a don't-miss sight.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM

The place Underhill is talking about is called Point Lobos State Preserve.

Just to be clear, I was not suggesting that luluk do Yosemite, Big Sur and Mendocino as day trips. I was suggesting that she do Pt Reyes, Napa/Sonoma and Muir Woods as day trips and it looks like she understood that.

-Bill
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:28 PM
mjs

I too would eliminate Mendocino for this trip. If you are flying in and out of SMF I would do Napa before SF than onto Carmel/Monterey.before heading into to Yosemite than back to SMF. I would stay in either Carmel or Monterey instead of Big Sur as there are many more choices of places to stay and eat on the peninsula than in Big Sur. It is also easier to drive to Yosemite from Carmel/Monterey than Big Sur which can be explored by day trip.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:50 AM

I think the best view on Big Sur is at Julia Pfieffer Burns State Park. A short walk takes you to a beautiful vista of a waterfall falling into the ocean.

The hikes are Pt. Lobos are short and take in some great scenery.

At Yosemite, do the short walks to the base of Bridalveil Falls, lower Yosemite Falls and hike up the viewpoint of Nevada Falls. There are great picture spots to take in the dramatic scene of Yosemite Valley, but I can't recall their names. I think one is called Tunnel View.

Muir Woods is not far from SF and there is a beautiful redwood grove there. My boys aren't much into hiking, but they enjoyed walking around here.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:00 AM

I agree with a lot that J Correa says. I actually did a trip very simular a few years back. We love the scenery and don't mind driving and like you are not big hikers.I would use San Francisco as a base, staying four nights. I would do day trips up to Point Reyes one day, making a stop at Muir Woods (for the redwoods). If it's not too late when you are coming back, you might want to ride through the Golden Gate National Recreational Area. It will be right before you get to the Golden Gate Bridge. You will get some really beautiful views of the city from there. Another day trip could be up through the wine country. I personally feel that the drive through Big Sur is really spectacular, and agree with both parks mentioned by above posters (a couple of days for that should be fine). Carmel is a nice liite shopping town where you could possibly shop a little and maybe have lunch. The 17 mile drive is another thing you might really enjoy. Two days for Yosemite should probably be enough for you since you are not hikers and parts of the park (Tioga Pass Rd.) still will probably not be open yet. Have a great time!!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. You inspired me to kick this thing into high gear! We booked our plane tickets last night and decided to go in and out of Oakland. We're going to stay with friends in San Fran for the first two nights, drive down and stay at Costanoa in Pescadero (the website looked really nice, anyone ever heard of it?) then go to Big Sur and either stay there or Carmel like you suggested. Then off to Yosemite and stay there for three nights. We're thinking about staying at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, it looks pretty nice. If anyone has any other suggestions it would be apprecited. We'd love to stay somewhere with an outdoor hot tub (we're from NYC and don't get such things!) at either Yosemite or Big Sur just to literally soak in the scenery. Then we will spend our last night in Napa and enjoy a nice meal and wine (suggestions?). Then back to Oakland to return home on the redeye the next day. I am excited take all of your suggestions into consideration, I still have a lot of planning to do! So far this has been a great help. I know we'll be driving a lot still with the plan as is, but there is just so much we want to see I guess it is inevitable.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Have your tried making reservations at the Yosemite Lodge yet? They usually book up well in advance, but they do have a 15 day cancellation policy, I think (?) and getting in on a cancellation is a possibility. Try to stay in the valley if you can.

I'd bag Costanoa and just drive down the coast to the Carmel/Monterey area for that night. Costanoa get mixed reviews at best on tripadviosr.It is a gorgeous stretch of coast, but you can do it justice without staying the night. Stopping at Pescadero for a bowl of artichoke soup and ollalieberry pie would be fun though.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Forgot to mention that the soup and pie is at Duarte's in Pescadero.

-Bill
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:27 AM
mjs

Oops! Don is right and Tioga pass will be closed in April. I also would not stop in Pescadaro but would push on to Monterey/Carmel. I would pick Carmel or Pacific Grove as a place to stay if it were me. Consider a B&B such as the Gosby house or Seven Gables Inn or Martine Inn in Pacific Grove or La Playa or Mission Ranch in Carmel. Would lean towards Carmel. If you want to splurge you can try Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur. You should also remember that many hotels/inns along the coast and Napa require a two day reservation on the weekends.
Am not sure what to recommend for lodgings in Napa as we usually just stay with friends there or just do day trips. Am familiar with some of the upper end places but that is about it. My wife can recommend a B&B near St. Helena called Sunny Acres that she liked which I believe is moderate.
Where to eat in Napa really depends on your budget and whether or not you are into food. Would consider something "California" like the French Laundry at the top end if you can snag a reservation or someplace like Terra or Mustards or perhaps the Martini house.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM

A note on mjs' recommendation that you not follow through on your plan to stay in Big Sur. mjs is right that there are many more accommodations and restaurants on the Monterey Peninsula than in Big Sur and many people use it as a base.

However, if you are into nature and photography as your original post says, you may be one of us who appreciates the distinctly different, closer to nature atmosphere of Big Sur than the Peninsula. I think the difference in mood between the two places is great and when in the area I prefer not to break that mood by commuting from one to the other. There is a special spell to Big Sur (and one to the Peninsula, too, but different.)

The thing which frustrates some people about Big Sur is that there are absolutely none of the modern, mid-priced chain accommodations at which most people like to stay most of the time. There is even only one of the quaint older motel type inns of the type for which Carmel is justly famous, the Glen Oaks (www.glenoaksbigsur.com).

Other than that, it goes from world class, very expensive resorts (www.postranchinn.com, www.ventanainn.com), which I would recommend if you can afford them, direct to close to nature wooden cabins for those of us who prefer soaking in the disctinctive Big Sur atmosphere to driving away so we can have the creature comforts of a Marriott or Hyatt or equivalent place.

Of the wooden cabin-type group, my favorite is Deetjen's Big Sur Inn, www.deetjens.com, for the most uniquely Big Sur atmosphere you can get. Their extensive web site has some beautiful photography, great background info and links on Big Sur, well worth looking at even if you do not stay there. They also serve a very romantic, candlelit dinner and the best breakfast in Big Sur.

The place is, literally, a designated historical landmark run by a nonprofit foundation, so you need to keep in mind that what you are paying for is preserving a slice of Big Sur's past which would otherwise vanish. People who expect all the same modern amenities they would get at a Holiday Inn at a comparable price dislike the place.

The web site will give you an idea if it is for you, and if you think so also check out the user reviews at www.tripadvisor.com, where you'll find both lovers and haters of the place strongly expessing their views. There are enough of the lovers that you should reserve as far in advance as you can. They rent specific cabins/rooms, so have an idea which ones you might want from the descriptions of each one on the web site.

Less expensive, and though less distinctively Big Sur than Deetjen's, I've still found the rustic cains at Ripplewood Resort very charming and well worth recommending, especially the ones on the banks of the Big Sur River (www.ripplewoodresort.com) The Big Sur Campground and Cabins (831-667-2322)has some pleasant cabins set at the edge of their campground, particularly a few larger and more luxurious A-frames. The Pfeiffer-Big Sur State Park (a different park from the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, where the highly recommended walk to the waterfall view is) has the largest number of cabins.

The two places I would caution you against booking in Big Sur are the River Inn and Fernwood. These are older but not particularly distinctive or charming motel type units, grossly overpriced in my opinion, right on the highway and next to the two bars in the area most likely to have loud late evening entertainment. My warning does not extend to the River Inn's delightful restaurant, just its accommodations.

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:35 AM

I have heard mixed reviews about Costanoa from people I know too. I would just head down to the Monterey area without a night in between - it really isn't that far. Definitely take Hwy 1 down if you have the time though - this is one of my favorite stretches of coastline. It is much different than Big Sur, which is kind of cool since they are geographically so close. Half Moon Bay is a nice town to stop in and Duarte's in Pescadero is great. And there are plenty of beaches along the way for some beachcombing. If the weather is nice, you might even want to put your feet in the water

In Big Sur, if you are looking for an outdoors experience without roughing it, try Treebone's resort - these are yurts overlooking the ocean. I believe they have an outdoor hot tub too. I haven't been there yet, but it is on my list for a weekend trip - just waiting for better weather. I believe that anything else in that area with a hot tub is going to be pretty pricey.

In Yosemite, definitely stay at the Lodge if you can. The accomodation is basic, but the location can't be beat. There is more luxurious accomodation at the Ahwannee (sp?), but again, it is pricey. There is a resort outside the park called Tenaya Lodge, which is nicer than Yosemite Lodge - it's got a couple pools, hot tub, spa services, etc - but it is a 45 minute drive into the valley. It is a trade off - more luxury or better location. I would choose location every time because there is nothing like waking up in Yosemite, walking outside and seeing those waterfalls.

On the way from Big Sur area to Yosemite, there is a town called San Juan Bautista - off Hwy 156 - which makes a nice stop. There is a mission, a rebuilt/restored old town square, and a nice little main street. It is a good place to learn a little California history. There are some restaurants there, which makes it a good lunch stop too.

Another good stop is Casa de Fruta just past the Hwy 156/152 junction - a kischy place that is practically a California institution. They have a fruit stand, a candy and ice cream shop, coffee shop, wine and cheese deli, and a little train ride. And, nice bathrooms We always stop there at least to stretch our legs and use the facilities - even if we aren't particularly tired, we stop anyway because it is tradition

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I have a lot of planning to do. I will look into all of your wonderfully kind suggestions. I just called Yosemite Lodge and its booked! Bummer. I will try Tenaya or maybe a cabin within the park. Gotta keep looking...
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

anyone know evergreen lodge at yosemite?
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

... compared to curry village (cabin with bath?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -