Rome to Florence Road Trip, Vineyard Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I depart for our first international trip next week. It's a delayed honeymoon of about three years. We are traveling to Italy. Fortunately, I recently started a new job. Unfortunately, I have had no time to research or plan the trip and I'm stressing about my lack of preparation.

We are staying in Rome for 2.5 days and then want to rent a car to road trip through the countryside, eventually landing in Florence. We have two nights to spend in the country.

Any suggestions on driving routes, hilltop towns and vineyards to visit?
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 06:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Two nights between Rome and Florence isn't much time, and there are countless towns that could be recommended depending on which way you go. It would help if you did even a little bit of research to see if particular towns or areas appeal to you more than others.

Since I dislike one-night stays, I'd head to the Val d'Orcia area (Montepulciano, San Quirico, Pienza, Montalcino) and spend both nights in one place. I would stick to smaller, secondary roads (generally SR2) which will make for slower driving but for seeing nicer views and little towns. It would be tempting to stop for a few hours in Orvieto on the way north, but I'd rather have more time in the Val d'Orcia. It would also be tempting to stop in Siena before Florence, but I'd rather spend the time driving through the heart of Chianti on SR222 (Castellina, Radda, Panzano, Greve).

Where you would fit in wineries/vineyards, I have no idea. In any event, most require reservations, so you'd have to research that after you decide your route. There are tasting rooms in some towns (i.e., Montepulciano, Montalcino) and maybe that will suffice.

Just about every town prohibits driving into the historical center. Google "zona traffico limitato". So, you drive to the outer edge of the town, park and walk in and out. Sometimes directional signage to parking is good; sometimes it isn't. Don't drive into Florence without very good (and I mean VERY good) instructions for reaching the car rental office or hotel. Fines are steep if you drive into the zone, even by mistake. Or you can return the car at the airport which has the added bonus of being open later than the in-city offices.
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't just drop into a winery for a tasting. That's not the custom in Italy. Some wineries do not welcome visitors. Others require a reservation.

Montalcino, famed for the wine Brunello di Montalcino, has a cantina for sampling the local wines in its fortress. And, IIRC, you can go to dinner in some of the nearby wineries. Get your hotel to make a reservation.