Road Trip timing Sacramento CA to Portland OR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of a summer trip to see family/celebrate an anniversary, we will be driving from Sacramento, CA up to Portland, OR along portions of Hwy. 101. We planned our trip so that we can have a taste of the California coast without taking too long, as we're doing this as an overnight (but with two full days of driving/sightseeing time). A friend has suggested the following route: 5 North out of Sacramento until Williams, where we pick up 20 West to 101 North. We follow that and then hit 199 to get back to 5.

My question is this: if we want to stop and see the redwoods, where is a good place to spend the night? Since the trip is in early August, do we need a hotel reservation or can we just drive and stop whenever we feel like it? I'd appreciate any thoughts as well as restaurant suggestions for a nice dinner for two. I'm really not sure where the halfway point would even be. We do NOT plan to stop on day 2 as we have relatives to meet on the 6th in Portland, and will spend the rest of our time exploring Oregon.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, comments, etc....
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 12:40 PM

From past experience I know 20 from Williams to Ukiah can be pretty slow, in particular the stretch from the junction with 16 to beyond Upper Lake and the junction with 29. I've used 80 to 12 and then 116 over to the 101 in Petaluma, can also be kinda slow, but personal preference. Also depends on time of day esp on 80.
IMO, Eureka or Crescent City would make good stopping points. More hotel choices in Eureka. Halfway would seem to be about Crescent City, but Eureka is only about 70 miles south. In Eureka you might get away without a hotel reservation, but if you shoot for Crescent City I'd look at advance reservations.
Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka offers pretty good meals as does the Avalon Restaurant & Bar.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I appreciate this...will probably aim for Eureka since this trip is rapidly approaching!