Road Trip in my New Forester.

Old Oct 5th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Road Trip in my New Forester.

You all may remember I got a new, 2019 Subaru Forester Limited in February this year. I love it. So much that my daughter and I are driving from San Diego to St Charles, MO to spend the Christmas and New Year holiday period with my son, dear DIL, and the two adorable grandchildren I don't see very often. We are all very excited. I know it would be better weather-wise to go in summer and we did originally think of going for July 4th, but other commitments here, followed by college for my daughter, nixed that idea. We are driving rather than flying, which would cost a lot less overall, for several reasons. One, we have to take our Maltese who is 12 yrs old and would not do well in a kennel and there's nobody we could leave her with. Next, my daughter has never driven across the country, something I think everyone should do at least once. How else do you get to appreciate the vastness of the US? We will stop at various sights, like the Grand Canyon which she has never seen. Going to St Charles we have a time constraint because we can't leave here until Dec.17 because her last final is on Dec 16th. And we do want to get there before Christmas! Coming home, we can take as much time as we want, so most of our detours will probably happen then. Obviously, we won't know for sure what the weather will be until we're ready to go and that will control some of what we do.

So, my big question is, do those of you who have Subarus ever carry tire chains and do you ever have to use them? I've read the manual and I know what type one has to use and to only put them on the front wheels. If you do, what make/model would you recommend? I have driven in snow, although not recently, but here in San Diego there's not much need for chains! I know people who drive to Mammoth to ski with no problem.

Any other advice is welcome. And thank you!

I just realised that calling this thread a "road trip" might not have been the best idea! Oops! Dear mods, please don't move it!

Last edited by Barbara; Oct 5th, 2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The chains thing...that's a tough one. If I went over the mountain in winter, more than I do, I would have them even with having a Subaru. Sometimes it's chains mandatory and if you are in the middle of it. you'd have to stop until the control was lifted. I don't know about the highways from CA to MO but I do know chains are useless, on ice and well your four wheel drive and tires are too.

Chains are not the easiest to put on but they have new ones that are easier to handle than the old chain link. IF you get chains of any kind be sure to put them on your tires a few times before you leave so you are at ease with them. Honestly, I'm not sure they will be all that helpful. IF you get a bad storm, for ME, your best best would be find a motel and sit tight till it's over. We all have seen those 40 car pile ups and they usually happen when non one should reallyi be on the road.

Take water, blankets, extra washer fluid, flash light and extra batteries. non-perishable snacks.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:23 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by crefloors View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure they will be all that helpful. IF you get a bad storm, for ME, your best best would be find a motel and sit tight till it's over. We all have seen those 40 car pile ups and they usually happen when non one should reallyi be on the road.
This.
If I needed chains, I'd not be driving on the road.
Do you have mud & snow tires on the car? If so, that should be enough.

Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:28 AM

We drive Subarus, we have a Gorester and a Legacy.
Were about to drive from MA to Tucson in the legacy.

Here in New England we run 4 studded snow tires on both cars in winter. Get some. Or at least regular snow tires if you don’t want studs.
You have no business driving where you’d need chains without considerable snow driving experience.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:30 AM

Do you have all weather tyres - with a snow flake on them? If so you will probably be OK, but carrying chains and knowing how to fit them is probably still a good thing.
If you have summer only tyres see if you can rent a set of winter tyres.
Colorado now requires them for a stretch of interstate and they will make a difference even with 4wd.

It sounds like a wonderful trip regardless of the time of year. Have fun but know your limits.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:43 AM

All weather tires are niot nearly as useful as actual snow tires.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:50 AM

Here's an article about the best winter tires for Subaru -
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/7-be...orester-wrxsti
Note in the photos the "M+S" for "mud and snow" and the snowflake icon.
Talk to someone at the dealership or a tire store. I'd buy winter tires for your winter road trip.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

I have all weather tires and the dealer told me they would be fine. I also found this video and this Forester has the same controls as mine:

I will not be buying snow tires. I'm not planning to drive on forest roads or any road that isn't a main road, but every now and then, even on freeways, there will be signs requiring chains on all vehicles. Obviously, ice would be a bigger problem. I simply want to be as prepared as possible.

Jubi, I grew up in and lived in Scotland until I was 26. I drove in snow and ice a lot. I have driven in snow in Chicago here.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:01 PM

Don’t bother. The only “mountain”’part of that trip is climbing from Phoenix to Flagstaff. I did the drive from Chicago to Palm Springs this past January and May in an all wheel drive convertible without any issues. I think you will enjoy the drive. I did.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
Don’t bother. The only “mountain”’part of that trip is climbing from Phoenix to Flagstaff. I did the drive from Chicago to Palm Springs this past January and May in an all wheel drive convertible without any issues. I think you will enjoy the drive. I did.

Thanks. It's the area around Flagstaff and from Flagstaff to Albuquerque on I-40 that is of most concern to me.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:33 PM

I figured the worst case scenario was to hole up if necessary which didn’t happen. The drive from Flagstaff to ABQ is relatively flat and you should be fine. I am doing it again in January. Worst part is across Texas and Oklahoma. Dullsville.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
I figured the worst case scenario was to hole up if necessary which didn’t happen. The drive from Flagstaff to ABQ is relatively flat and you should be fine. I am doing it again in January. Worst part is across Texas and Oklahoma. Dullsville.

Talking about "Dullsville", I'm trying to avoid having to go on I-10 to I-20 across a lot of Texas. Been there, done that a couple of times. Don't ever want to do it again.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:45 PM

Last February Flag had 4 ft of snow in February, but it didnt last more than a few days, so if youre willing to just wait until the roads are clear it should be fine.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Amarillo by morning...
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jubilada View Post
Last February Flag had 4 ft of snow in February, but it didnt last more than a few days, so if youre willing to just wait until the roads are clear it should be fine.

I'm pretty sure the freeway wasn't closed for four days. On the plus side, we'll be safely home by February!
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I'm pretty sure the freeway wasn't closed for four days. On the plus side, we'll be safely home by February!
it wasnt closed for 4 days but it was dicey for a few, according to friends in Flag.
have a great trip!
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jubilada View Post

it wasnt closed for 4 days but it was dicey for a few, according to friends in Flag.
have a great trip!
Fortunately, we're close enough that I would know ahead of time about any huge storm like that and then I would have to go via !-10. I'll be watching the weather very carefully!
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 01:10 PM

I was going to say just divert to 10 if necessary. And you could stay in Williams instead of Flagstaff.

​​​​

Last edited by mlgb; Oct 5th, 2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 01:20 PM

Have a list of hotels or motels along your route that you could use in a bad weather scenario. A "stuck in bad weather" kit as a just in case with a small shovel, fleece or rescue blankets, snacks, water, flashlight, whistle, hand warmer sachets.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 01:51 PM

This thread is reminding me that we should have a bad weather kit for our cross country road trip although its starting in 10 days. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -