Road trip in May from NJ to Florida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning on driving down to Florida this year for the annual Mother's Day trip to see my mom who lives in Naples. My wife has family who lives in Lehigh Acres so we'll get to see them as well. We are driving to save money on airfare and auto rental. Our plan was to have the whole trip be 11 days: 3 days to drive down, 5 days with the family in FL, and 3 days to drive back. The reason we are doing 3 days down and 3 days back is we want to spend a day in both Georgia & South Carolina. We were thinking of Savannah one day and Charleston another. Any advice on the whole road trip plan and also if there are other towns to consider in both Georgia & South Carolina? Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM

<b>"Any advice on the whole road trip plan and also if there are other towns to consider in both Georgia & South Carolina?"</b>

As for the road trip plan, do you have AAA? Their TripTiks are wonderful. If not, you could try http://www.randmcnally.com

Don't miss St. Augustine! Go down I-95 about 45 minutes south of Jacksonville and exit at SR 207. From St. Augustine, you could continue down I-95 to I-4 and then take it all the way to I-75 and then south.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 02:02 PM

check out Roanoke Island In NC...really gorgeous gardens & the beach should be good around that time
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM

One of my favorite stops in Florida was St Augustine. I had such a great time. The view is wonderful, shopping, eating and just alot to do. If the weather is nice it is one of the better stops to make.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 08:20 AM

One way to go would be to take the Garden State to Cape May and then down the Delmarva to Chincoteague,visit the ponies, then down and over the Bay Bridge. Maybe a stop at Williamsburg, or a night at Virginia Beach, out 58 to 95 or wander south on 13 or 17 a while through the NC countryside.

A stop in Charleston or Savannah in addition to St Augustine would also make for a nice trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

We are actually planning to take two days to drive down now but are looking into places to stay overnight to break up the trip. We want to drive as much as possible on day one, stay overnight somewhere, and finish driving on day two. We were thinking somewhere in either Georgia or South Carolina. On the way home, we are still thinking of doing Savannah for a day. Any advice for an overnight stay on the way down? Thanks again.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 06:32 AM

We've done a similar trip several times (NJ to Sarasota, FL and vice versa.) If you want to keep it to 2 days (which is what we've done) then you should just take I 95 and stay overnight around Florence S.C. or perhaps a bit further south. It's nothing but a midway stop but you won't be doing much backtracking to get to the Interstate. Your trip to Naples should add about 2 hours to the nearly 20 hours of driving that we have.

Coming back enjoy Savannah!