Road Trip from New Jersey to California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a Road Trip to California from New Jersey w this girl this Summer. She is 21 and I am 20. Idk who cares about age, so I'm just putting it out there. How much money will we need to make this trip happen? I have all summer, so time isn't an issue. What kind of car do you think would handle this many miles in around 3 months? I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has traveled across this wonderful country.
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 05:52 AM

Fuel cost is going to be the major cost, and the most volatile, depending on world events between now and then.

You can do the math yourself. A 6000 mile round trip in a car that gets 20 mpg with gas costing $2 per gallon will cost $600 in gas. Add in hotels and food and extras.

Most well maintained cars will handle 6000 miles in three months.
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 06:08 AM

How much money you need to make the trip will depend on so many variables it's impossible for anyone here to give you precise answer. I can tell you a 30 month road trip is going to be expensive.

Your basics costs are going to include lodgings, food (meals, snacks, drinks, etc.), gas, tolls, entry fees for points of interest you may want to visit, laundry. The best way to figure out how much you'll need is to figure out how much the two of you would spend supporting yourselves (without outside help from friends & relatives) each week where you now live. Multiply that number by 12 and then add about 50% (one almost always spends a lot more when traveling than they do at home). The result will give you a workable budget for your trip. If you plan on doing lots of specialized activities during your trip you'll need even more money.

You do realize that 3 months (90 days) is a long time. Let's say that each day you spend $60 for a basic motel room, $10 for breakfast, $15 for lunch and $25 for dinner (you won't be eating anything fancy) and $30 for gas. That comes to $140/day. Multiply that by 90 and you've already spent $12,600 and you haven't done anything but drive, eat and sleep. You have not even considered extraneous costs, entry and activity fees, contingency and emergency costs. Even if you were to camp out along the way - rather than stay in hotels - (which will reduce your lodging costs down to say $30/day) you are still looking at a minimum trip cost of around $10,000.

As for the the type of car, since you'll be spending a lot of time on the road you'll need a decent size car (so something mid-size or above) in good mechanical condition that's gets good gas mileage. An old "clunker" that's prone to breaking down isn't something you'd want to take on a cross country trip so I'd suggest you choose a late model or even new vehicle. I'm guessing that you don't have a car. Purchasing a decent used car will set you back quite a lot of money (perhaps $5,000 to $10,000) and renting a newer car will probably run you $300 to $400/week.

Again, I'm guessing that you are asking these questions because you don't have a lot of disposal income. If that's true than you might want to think of doing something that is a little less ambitious. Perhaps, just staying closer to home or going away for a long weekend or maybe a week or two. That will be much easier on your wallet.
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 12:28 PM

I can't think of too many motels in the LA area that go for $60 a night, even the Motel 6 that I used to pass on the freeway over in east Torrance area was charging $69.95 plus tax for a single, double would be a bit more (Motel 6 charges a separate price for single rooms, almost all others charge per room). That area is not all that desirable and far from most attractions. Our gas has been running about $2.65-2.99 per gallon, but California gas always costs more.
Your gf may have to check you in to many motels, as some will not rent to under 21. Prepare to pay with a credit card or leave a hefty cash deposit.