Road Trip from Detroit, MI to Bar Harbor, Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip from the Detroit, Michigan area to the Bar Harbor area of Maine. The length of the trip is open, but I anticipate it will be somewhere around 10 to 20 some days. The length depends on what I learn in answers to my questions. A couple questions to start:

1. Should we use the airlines to get near our destination and spend the time there or are there enough places to see along the way to make a car trip worthwhile? How long do you estimate the travel time would be by car seeing the things you might suggest?

2. Do you know of a trip someone made in this forum or another forum similar to this trip that I could use as an outline?

3. What is the best time of year to make a trip to Maine? Being retired, I would like to take advantage of times when everyone else is not on vacation also.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For Bar Harbor, the tourists invade late June until Labor Day, and the first two weeks of October can be busy, too. I would look at maybe the 2nd week of June if you're driving, because you'll have to keep an eye on the weather. June can be iffy. Another problem with June is that hotels and restaurants are just starting to train their summer staff (college kids and foreign students)....so service can be challenging .
Second week of September is probably your best bet, weather is usually good and tourists are thinning out, but everything is still up and running.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM

My husband and I just did this trip. Left Ann Arbor on 9/11 and returned home on 9/25. We drove the whole way. I think it is about 14 hours to our first stop which was Ogunquit where we spent 1 night (had dinner with a friend who lives nearby). We drive to Cape Cod every summer so did our usual thing which is to drive 8 hours to Syracuse and stay there, then drive the 6 hours out to the Cape. The drive to Ogunquit felt about the same time. We spent 2 nights in Portland, then drove stratight to Mt Desert and Acadia. We stayed in SW Harbor. Found Bar Harbor to be very, very busy during the day with day trippers from the cruise ships. Some days there were as many as 3 ships in the harbor. This caused some congestion in the park as well due to the number of tour busses. SW Harbor was indeed quiet. We then spent 2 nights on Deer Isle, 2 nights on Isle au Haut (a real treat), and finished up with 2 nights in Camden. Have been meaning to do a trip report but have not done so yet. But this is an overview of our trip. The weather was indeed wonderful. And no bugs. Hope this helps.
Kay
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Kay,

Thanks so much for your information. I am going to review your itinerary which looks like a great trip outline!!
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Kay,

By the way...

We will ALSO be leaving from Ann Arbor. We live on the Northeast side in Foxfire.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM

e - we are on the Southeast side near Arborland. Small world.

kay
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 01:38 PM

went to Maine 3 years ago in 2nd week Sept--wanted to avoind the fall color rush,and after the schools were back in. Weather was great.We flew into Providence and stayed in Newport 1st 2 nights--man thats a real nice place,lots of flashbacks to golden era of Vanderbilts etc. Then hit all the spots up thru Bar Harbor, stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn.SW Harbor is much less crowded,and some decent B&Bs,and food.If you have time hit Pimiquit Peninsula Light House.For me, theres so much to do on the coast id fly into Providnece,rent a car, and perhaps fly back from Portland Me===have a great trip