Notices

Road Trip CT to Chicago

Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Trip CT to Chicago

Were delivering my daughter to college in Chicago end of August, I have 10 days before returning home. Any suggestions on sites or things to do on the way home, places to visit etc. either in Chicago or on the way home. We have no definitive route planned at this time.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are the Amish areas in Indiana and Ohio, The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Football Hall of Fame, Cleveland Indians games, Auburn Cord Dusenburg Museum, Lake Michigan resorts, Cedar Point and Put in Bay/Port Clinton. In Chicago there's the Frank Lloyd Wright District, White Sox games, Cubs games, shopping, architecture tours, theatre, The Field Museum, Museum of Science & Industry, Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, concerts and Grant Park/lake activities.

Who's traveling? What are your interests? How far off the direct route do you want to stray? If you provide a bit of info, I'm sure you'll get suggestions that will suit you better.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you mean you'll have 10 days to spend before starting the return trip or a total of 10 days including the drive to CT? You can/should spend a few days in Chicago to see the lakefront, take a boat cruise, see the fireworks at Navy Pier, ride the Ferris Wheel, see the Lincoln Park Zoo, multiple museums, art institute, Millenium Park, etc. I would also recommend a possible overnight in harbor country - maybe New Buffalo, Saugatuk, etc. Drive over, stay the night and leave the next afternoon. You'll get some beach time, plenty of shops and galleries. Along I-80, as mentioned above, is the erie lake shore with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cedar Point, etc. If you want to venture north to detroit, the Henry Ford museum is also very good. Where is your daughter going to college? You may be able to find hotel downtown after you drop her off yet be able to spend some time with her.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband and I are going, I have ten days from Chicago to get home. My daughter is going to Columbia College in the South Loop. I do want to spend a few days in Chicago. Your ideas are great ones, I have no problem wandering from the interstate an hour or two to take in some excursions and/or sights. We will take in the aquarium, boat cruise, Navy Pier. Not that into sports, but will entertain other ideas. You guys have been very helpful.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 06:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll have plenty of hotel options near Columbia. Another idea is a segway tour of the lakefront. Its gotten great reviews from folks who took it a few weeks ago. If you detour into southwest michigan, there is a very good wine trail with small wineries, tasting rooms, restaurants, etc all within a few minutes of I-94.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much. You definately steered me in the right direction.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
JJ5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to go the Northern path and don't mind going beyond the "right off the expressway" category- look at Mendon MI (Southern part of the state). It used to be the 1/2 way point between Detroit and Chicago in the olden horsedrawn wagon days and was the major inn and is restored. You can stay for reasonable amount. Many presidents, Elvis, celebs etc. have visited in the past. (Mendon Country Inn)

It is so unusual and includes a breakfast that is unbelieveable. I think of it more as a spa place- in view of the St. Joe River and so 1871'ish. Love, love it. Rooftop with games going on- wonderful drawing room with baby grand playing during breakfast etc. Showers small like 1880 people were.

If you are taking 80-90 across the top of IN- Plymouth (Plymouth's big festival is Labor Day weekend) and Shipshewanna may be of interest. There are places all along that portion that are Amish and worth a meal and visit. Mendon is surrounded by Amish.

Tons to do in Chicago- 3 days for the minimum- 5 if you like Art or Museums. Lots of threads here with details and links.
But some of them you may want to do in other than August weather and tourist height- especially if you visit your daughter during the year.

Look into the tollway unit to put upon your windshield (prepay). It's difficult waiting in all those lines to pay tolls. If you can't get it before, get it while you are here at the Jewel Food Stores, if nowhere else.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make a stop at Ed Devic's to eat. Prepare to be entertained!!
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TYPO.. Debevic's
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all, I am going to incorporate quite a bit into our trip...Mendon, MI sounds great as does the festival. The tollway unit for the car, does anyone know what it is called? I currently have EZ Pass which is good for the Northeast and would like to see if it is compatible, otherwise I need to obtain one quickly. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your EZ Pass will work in PA, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. Michigan doesn't have any toll roads.