Reload this Page >

Need road trip suggestions: Denver- Baltimore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM
MaureenB

We have to move our car from Denver to Baltimore in early August. We are serious wimps when it comes to spending long hours in the car. We can barely make it 2 hours in our car to our mountain get-away without melting down!
So, we need a suggested itinerary for places to stop and spend the night, best route to take, etc. It will probably be just two drivers.
Anyone been there, done that and can make recomendations?? Or does anyone know of a way to ship a car and not have to drive it at all (not with others driving, either, but actually shipping it)?
Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, there are car shipping services. Not that expensive after you factor in your hotel and fuel cost. I don't have any recommendations, but do a search here or Google it.

Denver to Baltimore is 1,700 miles. You can stay on I-70, but I think there will be less traffic (and no toll) using I-64/79/68 after St. Louis. It can be very reasonably done in 3 days with 2 drivers. First night you should stay somewhere just past Kansas City, MO. Just over 600 miles from Denver.

Second night, Lexington, KY. Under 600 miles. Last day, just over 500 miles.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:57 AM
MaureenB

rkkwan, thanks for your reply. I just called a shipping service, and it's at least $1250 to ship the car, so I am sure we'll be driving it instead.
Luckily, we have family in St. Louis, so I'm thinking we might stay somewhere in eastern Colorado the first night, then on to St. Louis, then to Lexington could be a good idea. That would be three nights on the road, so not too long in the car each day. Maybe we'll even do four nights. I'd rather spring for a motel room than be exhausted behind the wheel.
I am pretty sure of the drive from Denver to St. Louis, as we have done that over the years a few times, but your recommendation is helpful from St. Louis on. Looking at the map, I was thinking of Kentucky, mostly because we've never been there and we like horses, so we might find some an interesting side-trip there for an hour or so.
I wonder if we'd need hotel/motel reservations in early to mid-August along that route, or if we could just drive till we want to stop and then find a place. We wouldn't need the Ritz, obviously!

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:26 PM

We drove around St Louis/Ky in July and just used vistor center coupons for hotels, no true reservations.Some even called ahead for us) But I would suggest you get further than eastern Colo for the first day - it can be done in a few hrs. We can usually make it to Lincoln the first day - and not really pushing it but we lose an hour. (We live in Denver)I don't envy your trip - summertime driving is the pits!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM
MaureenB

Daryleann, thanks. And what are visitor center coupons?

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM

MaureenB -

You should find it very easy to get to St. Louis in 2 days. Probably stay the first night in Topeka or Lawrence, KS. You can get to your family's mid-afternoon 2nd day. 3rd night Lexington or Charleston, WV.

Usually I don't recommend people doing roadtrips to book hotel in advance, as I don't like being "pressured" to get to some place. Some days I may want to go further if I feel fine, some days I want to stop earlier if I feel tired.

But with such a casual schedule of no more than 8 hours of driving a day you're doing, you can book hotels in advance. You can even use Priceline to get something nicer in a city rather than a regular motel, usually for less. Most 2.5* properties will not cost more than say $35-40 on PL.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Visitor center coupons are booklets that are available at the rest stops (and sometimes McDonald's, etc) that are reductions for hotel/motels. [Check out Check out http://www.roomsaver.com/ for an example. It is one of the companies altho there are several.for an example. It is one of the companies altho there are several.] Usually for the chains, and usually near the exits, so it is worth it to stop. We have occasionally been told 'no' (they only sell a limited # at the rate) but then we go to the next. If it is a manned rest stop, the person can call ahead for you. The prices are varied - sometimes 20% off the normal, and all different 'brands.'
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:55 PM
MaureenB

Thank you again. Good to know.