Search

Colorado Road Trip -begining stages- which route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado Road Trip -begining stages- which route

Hi All,
3 women aged 40's/50 from Boston, are doing another road trip. Last one was CA, and your help was tremendous, so, here I go again, looking for insight and advise.
The 2 spots we want to see is Steamboat and Durango (we have a place to stay in steamboat relatives house)
We have never been to CO before, and typically like to travel a 10 day trip, 9 nights, lodging at 3 or 4 destinations, and doing day trips to sights with a home base.
So: Do i travel into:
#1 ALB to Durango / Gunnison? Leadville /Steamboat /Denver = a straight line , 15 hours and 785 miles
or
#2 Denver/ Colorado springs/Durango, then above again, leave Denver = a circle, 18 hours, 950 miles.

-- We did do a road trip to ALB balloon festival 2 years ago, so we have see ALB already--

Which route and, what places are good to stay (towns or hotels with character) -

Any suggestions are appreciated. ( we shop, spa, hot springs, sight see, fun tours, )
We will be traveling September 2011 - labor day weekend'ish
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 04:20 AM

Denver, Rocky Mountain National Park, Steamboat, Silverthorne (outlet malls, in addition to being on I70), Vail, Aspen, Gunnison, Durango.
It's been a while since we did it, but if you are going to Steamboat (it's the outlier in this in my opinion, as is Durango!!) you can go through RMNP and get to Steamboat very easily. Then drop down to I70 and go west.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

The route is chosen:
fly into coloprado springs 9/1-thursday-
manitou springs 4 nights
glenwood springs 3 nights
steamboat springs 2 nights
fly home out of denver - 9 pm flight saturday
any input / ideas / do's / don't are appreciated
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM

I recommend:
3 nights in Steamboat, not 2 nights (unless that's all the availability you have at friend's)
3 nights in Aspen, not Glenwood Springs (you can day-trip to Glenwood from Aspen)

I don't know Manitou Springs, but 4 nights sounds too many. Maybe only 2?

Add the other 2 or 3 nights wherever. Maybe come to Denver to spend the last night?
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM

That's a lot of Manitou Springs. You have totally missed RMNP--it is just beautiful. why miss it. You can at least drive through it from Steamboat. Maybe stay in Estes Park the last night IF you don't go into Denver.
Denver is a fun town too. Agree about Aspen over Glenwood--easy drive. Don't miss the Glenwood Canyon drive on I70.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 01:39 PM

What happened to Durango? And aren't you interested in Mesa Verde? And the RR up to Silverton?
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Mesa verde would be a whole 'nother trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 03:09 PM

As a prior repeat visitor (not a resident) I don't think 4 days in Manitou Springs is too much if they are planning on it for a base for all the activities around Colorado Springs.

It's a good location in my opinion for such things as the Pike's Peak railway, a run over to Garden of the Gods, a run up to Woodland and beyond to Florissant and a great state park with lots of trails where the name escapes me at the moment.

There used to be lots of fun shopping in MS and Old Colorado City and lots of restaurants. It's a quick leap from there to the Dave of the Winds and what's the place, Seven Falls?

So just a FWIW from a visitor type.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 05:05 PM

I agree with emalloy. Mesa Verde and the train are great. I'm curious as what you plan to do at the destinations you mention.
To me the trip you describe isn't really seeing any of Colorado that I would think people would normally see on their first trip.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 05:12 AM

I also think 4 nights in Manitou Springs sounds like a lot. I think 2 to 3 seeing the places Toucan2 mentions should be enough. (BTW, you have probably figured out it is Cave, not Dave of the Winds) We liked the Adams Mountain Cafe in the old spa building in Manitou Springs. There is also a good wine store in the same complex

If you go west then north from Manitou Springs on Route 24, you will see some beautiful scenery including the Collegiate Peaks.

I agree with other posters who say it seems a shame to miss Rocky Mountain National Park on your trip since you could easily add it on your way to Denver airport from Steamboat Springs.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM

I agree that 4 nights in Manitou Springs is probably too much, but if you think there is enough there to keep you occupied that long, then do it.

Glenwood Springs is a great base of operations. Make Aspen a day-trip. On another day you can head up the Crystal River valley to visit the eclectic little towns of Redstone and Marble. Just outside of Marble is one of Colorados most photographed scenes:
http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/crystal.htms

I'd suggest taking the back roads from Glenwood to Steamboat. Start off heading east on I-70 up through Glenwood Canyon. Get off I-70 at exit 133 (Dotsero) and take Eagle county road 301 (aka The Colorado River Road) for a scenic 35 mile journey along the banks, small canyons, and overlooking mesas of the Colorado River to Colorado State Highway 131, then north on 131 to Steamboat. County Road 301 starts off in Dotsero as a paved 2 lane road. After about 16 miles it will turn into a well maintained dirt road for the rest of the way that is easily passable in a regular passenger car. Plan on it taking about 1 hour to get from Dotsero to Hwy 131 (not including stops) as the average speed is about 35-40 mph. National Forest campgrounds along here offer potty stops at about 4, 6, 19, and 27 miles into the drive. It's a much more scenic route than taking I-70 all the way from Glenwood to Hwy 131 at Wolcott. Hwy 131 is a 2-lane state highway that runs through the scenic back door into Steamboat.

In Steamboat be sure to take some time soaking in the riverside hot springs at Strawberry Park (http://www.strawberryhotsprings.com/2005/).

I would also suggest getting back to Denver by traveling through Rocky Mountain National Park.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:05 AM

OK.... http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/crystal.htms doesn't work.

Try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Mill
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 11:03 AM

LOL I just saw my Dave of the Winds. Whoops! But it has a certain ring...
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

WoW..thank you all for this insightful information.

... 1 friend did not want to do hotels every 2 nights, nor be on the road all the time, so that is why we are based for 4/3/2 nights.
The plan is to use the locations as base, and do many day trip activities. that is why durango is out...which i am bummed about...but this same friend will be providing free housing with relatives in steamboat.
we are booked in a big 2 bedroom at glenwood springs resort, with that natural big pool-
and The Avenue B and B, they have a separate house that has 3 bedrooms and is right in Manitou Springs.
Sine the 3 of us live alone...we like the ability to go shopping, for a walk etc.. and feel safe, get away from eachother..some space if needed..
We want to see the area and take in as much as we can, will likely be out and about from 7 AM to 8PM daily..doing all we can..hot springs, ghost towns, caves, bridges, towns, parks, are all things we want to do, and shop and eats.
the info you have provided is great, and much appreciated!
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

I will look into Aspen over Glenwood, see if anyplace catches my eye, GLWD Springs was booked Sunday night, so we are there mon,tues,wed..
but, i can look into sun/mon/tues vail, then steamboat 3 nights, or 2 and then towards denver.
Thanks!!!
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM

Glenwood Springs is a town. Aspen is a "happening". You will really enjoy it a lot more. You can go to the Marroon Bells (and you can from glennwood also). Aspen is a lot more fun, in my thinking for you as a vacation.
Don't miss going back to Denver via the RMNP. You could even spend the night in Estes Park and go directly to DIA. I think that has been mentioned but DON"t overlook this.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM

I would suggest staying in Boulder the night or two before you head to DIA. ALOT closer than Estes Park and if you like shopping,outdoor restaurants, etc, staying near the Pearl St. Mall (outdoor pedestrian mall) is a must. You can drive thru RMNP, thru Estes Park (stopping for Salt Water Taffy, of course) and then into Boulder. The St. Julien Hotel is gorgeous (with a great spa!). An hour from there to the airport. Another really cool place to stay is the Redstone Inn - between Aspen and Glenwood Springs. Last I was there, they were putting in a spa and had a great outdoor pool. Gorgeous setting!