Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

10 day road trip - Charlottown to Halifax - route suggestions?

Notices

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Judi

We're flying to Charlottetown PEI and out of Halifax 10 days later (July). We're renting a car. Any recommendations for the route to take between the two so that we see the interesting sites? Also - any accomodation and restaurant suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Judi, you have TONS of time so it's going to be a piece of cake to take in plenty of sites. I have a travel journal on Halifax posted on www.igougo.com and you can access it by just entering my name in the search box next to guide in the lower-right of the home page. You're going to have wonderful time -- the area is lovely, laid-back and very affordable.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 09:14 PM
jj

Judi, we drove this route last fall. PEI is wonderful for driving with many rural areas and restful seaside views. We expecially enjoyed Dalvay-by-the-Sea in PEI National Park and the Malpeque Bay area. We had a nice B&B called the Barachois Inn in North Rustico. Take the ferry from Wood Islands to Nova Scotia and spend your time on Cape Breton Island. The Cabot Trail is wonderful to drive with green mountains and beautiful water views. Baddeck is a good jumping off point. Don't spend too much time on the lower NS peninsula; not a lot to see. Have fun!

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Jim

Judi: See ALL of PEI first -from lighthouse to lighthouse -even stay in one. I heartily agree that you see Cape Breton. THE most beeeeutiful part of Nova Scotia. Margaree Valley has it all! Been five times -from Alabama. That's really loving it to drive that far that many times. Have a great time. Jim

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 07:58 PM
judi

Thank you all for your suggestions. Any particular recommendations for accomodation/restaurants?

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Jan

I stayed at the hotel connected to the Halifax train station. I forget the name. But worth the splurge.

If you are looking for French-speaking areas, I recommend the Evangeline trail. It's a quiet part of the world, but one of my favorites.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Gina

I believe the hotel attached to the train station is the Hilton. It used to be called the "Nova Scotian" so it may be the "Hilton Nova Scotian" or the "Four Seasons Nova Scotian" now.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 08:51 AM
lisa

We stayed at the Waverley Inn in Halifax and loved it. Great value for the money, walking distance to everything, free breakfast and parking, friendly helpful staff, etc. Check out www.waverleyinn.com. Don't miss the public gardens -- they are lovely. We had a fantastic meal at Salty's on the waterfront -- a memorable seafood pie served with garlic mashed potatoes. Also, there is a nice old microbrewery/bar just down the street from the Waverley but can't remember the name. We stayed two nights in Halifax and then took the ferry to PEI (stopped at Truro Falls on the way which was pretty and a nice leg-stretcher). We loved the scenery all over PEI. Stayed at a small B&B in Charlottetown that was fine but nothing special. The charms of PEI are in the rural areas, not in Charlottetown, in my opinion. Have a great time.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Tanya

Don't drive through Pictou County after departing the ferry from PEI to Nova Scotia. Take time and visit historic Pictou Town. A lovely beach called Melmerby is close by as well. You can drive PEI in one day but lots to see! If you want instead of the ferry take the longest bridge from PEI to New Brunswick. You will depart close to the border of Nova Scotia. Take the sunrrise trail which will take you along the waterside into the Town of Pictou. The Consultate Inn in Pictou is a lovely place to stay if you can get a reservation. Try and do supper at Pictou Lodge (they have accommodations as well - beautiful spot right on Northumberland Strait). When leaving Pictou to Cape Breton, continue to take the Sunrise Trail just outside of New Glasgow. It will take you into Antigonish. The rest from there is easy to follow. Don't forget, Nova Scotia has lots to offer on our south shore with picturesque places such as Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, Yarmouth, Digby and the beautiful Annapolis Valley. As our slogan says "So much to sea"! If you forward your address to me I can send you a Nova Scotia Doer's and Dreamer's guide. Have a safe and wonderful time in our lovely province!

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:19 AM
Judi

Thanks to everyone. One last question. Anyone know anything about Silver Dart Lodge on Cape Breton, or have any good suggestions for accomodation on Cape Breton?

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 07:50 PM
judi hartlin

The Delta in Charlottetown is great and very convenient. Cavendish is a fun tourist area with long sandy beaches. New Glasgow lobster suppers in PEI is highly recommended. My advice is to play it a little by ear when you get there. Have an idea of what you might like to do and see how you feel when you get there. Although, you should book ahead for hotels. Island Preserves is fun and near the lobster suppers and Cavendish. Lots of free samples of homemade jams etc. Deep Sea Fishing from North Rustico is a great way to spend a few hours. Also, a good but very casual lobster supper here. A fun way to spend an evening is to go to a drive in movie in Brackley Beach. Bring some snacks or come in your pajamas - just like the old days! I live in Halifax NS and would highly recommend that you not spend too much time on the way from PEI to HFX and instead do more outside the HFX area. Peggy's Cove is great. Don't miss Chester, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg - all beautiful seaside towns. The Boardwalk in Easter Passage is fun. Also, don't miss the Citadel Hill, Public Gardens and Point Pleasant Park in Halifax - all lovely. The waterfront area downtown is also great. You're going to have a great time. weather so far this summer has been hot so be prepared - high 30's the last two weeks. Bring sunscreen!