COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Zip Line Canopy Tours?

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Zip Line Canopy Tours?

Are most of the canopy tour companies safe or are there certain ones we can trust more than others? I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to heights and things, but my husband would love to do it. Also, I'm kind of a "larger" chick (although I'm working on that issue). Is there any weight limits or dangers for us not-so-tiny people? Any recommendations for the best canopy tours in Montezuma, MA, or Arenal? Thanks again for everyone's advice!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 08:29 PM

The climbing gear and harnesses they use are rated to tens of thousands of pounds of static tension, and for thousands of pounds on falls, so as long as it is well maintained and used properly, there are no worries about equipment failure. There may be some discomfort because your weight is being supported on a relatively small surface area.

If you're not into the thrill ride aspects, maybe you should consider one of the bridge and trail based tours.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I plan on doing the hanging bridges in Arenal, but my husband likes the thrill thing. Maybe I'll just send him, while I get a massage or something
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:48 AM

I have a huge problem with heights. But I desperately wanted to do the canopy tour. I talked to our tour guide (who did another tour for us 2 days before our canopy tour), he reassured me, coached me ahead of time so I knew exactly how it would be, worked it out so that he could also do our canopy tour (!). In the meantime, I talked to others, and, by the time we arrived, I was ready to go. It was a great thrill and a wonderful experience! Do it! I have heard the the Original Canopy Tour company is the most regulated (and supposedly safest), and they have several locations, but there don't seem to be any problems with any of the companies (that I have heard of).
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:46 AM

We went with Sky Trek in Monteverde. It was scary, but it was a blast. They have a back up rope attached to the cable in addition to the pulley.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Shillmac;if you read this..which canopy ride did you do??
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 03:51 PM

We also did a canopy tour with/at Golfido north of Puntarenas. Very scenic. Did 11 platforms. They also offer 22. Had to climb up a bit to get to the next platform sometimes. Couple of minutes. Had extra gear for safety. Also rapelled down about 20-30 ft. I too was hesitant along with others in our group. Everyone loved it. The guides were great.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:10 PM

We did the one that is at Buena Vista Lodge in the Rincon de la Vieja. It was part of a package that included an all day tour, beginning with the canopy lines, then including lunch and the mud baths and springs. We had our 3 older kids with us and we also paid $15 per person for a ride down the mountain on the huge water slide. . .this was quite a rush! The entire day was a lot of fun!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:49 PM

shillmac, please tell me more about your tour at Rincon de la Vieja. We are trying to construct our own day trip to this area where we'd drive ourselves instead of arriving with a tour. It was my understand, however, that the canopy tour there was based at Hacienda Guachipelin. I had never heard of Buena Vista Lodge.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Deb
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:57 AM
maletas

Ok, I dont mean to be contrary but... here it goes. I was talked into doing one of those canopy tours. I hate heights and I hated the experience. I couldnt wait for it to be over. Don't let anyone talk you into doing it if you don't like heights because once you start the tour you cant go back. There were also a few nervous people on my tour which didnt help. I couldnt get past the height thing and although its mind over matter and probably safe, to me it sucked and I hated every second of it!!!! Let your husband do it and you go shopping or whatever else you like but dont let him or anyone else talk you into it if you really dont want to. It was really scary!!!

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 09:30 AM

I prefer to keep my feet on the ground and even have trouble on some of the hanging bridges. I actually black out on the second story of a mall if I walk too close to the edge where you can look down. Those little planes down there are a real treat for me.
As far as safety, the Origional Canopy tour does regulate itself according to world standards. I suspect that other companies like sky trek do the same.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I am pretty sure that Buena Vista Lodge was the property where we had lunch and enjoyed the mud baths and springs nearby. Check it out online. Perhaps it depends on whether you book a tour or not. I remember there was a slight distance between where we did the canopy and the mud baths and springs. But I can tell you that the two tours we took of the Rincon de la Vieja were both unforgettable. It is very much an underrated area. And a delightful area. We did a horseback riding tour up to Los Inocentes near the Nicaraguan border. Our tour guide and another guide from the property saddled up with us and we rode about 2 hours through the tropical dry forest. Saw all kinds of animals. We had a great lunch afterward. We were with our grown kids, had never done anything like that before, and had a great time. The thing about having a guide and being on a tour is that you gain so much information especially if you plan to ride or walk through the forest. They see everything! And then the other tour was our day "at the spa" and on the ziplines. As to the last e-mail from "maletas", you will know, I think, whether this is something you can tolerate or not. Although I have a lot of difficulty with heights (would NEVER parasail, for example!), I am also one to force myself to get out of the old comfort zone occasionally. If you think you can tolerate a little bit, you would probably enjoy this. Please remember, and this is important, that with the trees below you, you don't really experience a feeling of being all that far from the ground, so you have at least the illusion of nearness (which seemed to help me). I was very glad that I went ahead with it. The only horror story I've ever heard was of a lady who became so panicked when she allowed herself to stop in the middle of a line (you just have to hand over hand pull yourself in), she couldn't listen or think or reason or anything. She eventually simply undid her own hook up and fell before they could get someone out to bring her in. Someone who is so extremely frightened should, of course, not attempt the ziplines!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Thank you shillmac. We intend to do the guided tours one we reach Rincon de la Vieja. It costs twice as much, however, to have someone drive us there rather than us driving and making the arrangements ourselves. I'm looking forward to the visit!

Deb
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:57 PM

Actually, on the Sky Trek one in the Monteverde area you could go back on walking trails. After zipping down the lines 7 times, one woman chickened out when we got to the top of the mountain. She hiked back down to the station at the bottom in like 20 minutes.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:14 PM

In Quepos, we went through Canape Safari. Great folks! I'm a guy over 220 lbs, with experience on zip lines and rappelling and felt very safe. My bride was a first timer and, after an accident a few years ago where she was severely injured in a balcony collapse, she was not at all sure that she could hold up. The Canape Safari team walked, teased, joked, and helped her through a most enjoyable couple of hours. She'd go again in a heartbeat. The pictures (on CD ROM) were also great and well worth the price. One warning -- the climb up into the woods is a sweetheart -- the team stopped a couple of time to explain about plants and for us to catch our breath. Don't expect to see any animals -- the laughing and screaming scares them away...
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:59 PM

We did Sky Trek near Monteverde. It was all very safe--strong steel cables, backup lines, platforms on secure foundations, and excellent procedures by the staff. It was a blast. Some of the zip lines are unbelievably high but for me and many on the trip the scariest parts were a couple of climbs up spiral staircases. Just something about the nature of vertigo I guess. I would highly recommend it for anyone who doesn't have a severe fear of heights. One of the nice things about Sky Trek is that they also have a Sky Walk where you walk across suspension bridges. This is less scary and gives you more time to observe the canopy, but not as adrenaline-filled. Each was a different experience, both worthwhile.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:26 PM

Would recommend the newer Selventura Zip lines at Monteverde. $35 - 19 platforms, 2 1/2 hours of Adventure. They also have hanging bridges. They will pick you up and deliver back to your hotel, included in that price.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:46 AM

Is it possible to have two people go at once? I am travelling with a 7 year old, who would be fine with me, but dont know if he would be too scared by himself
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:32 AM

ellene--at Selventura (and I imagine other zip line sites) children can go on the zip lines with one of the guides.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:58 PM

When I did Canopy Safari out of Quepos, the guides let some of us do the last zip line hooked up to our significant others, just for fun. I bet they'd let you go with your son, and then maybe after a zip line or two he'd be confident enough to try it on his own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO