Reload this Page >

Zihuatanejo...advice on accomodations please

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 1999, 07:22 AM
Sandy

Has anyone stayed at a smaller hotel called "Villas Mexicana" in Zihuatanejo? It's apparently beachfront on Playa de la Ropa. Am wondering if it's within walking distance of shops,restaurants, etc.If anyone has any comments on this place (good or bad) I'd appreciate hearing them. Thank you.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 01:27 PM
Peggy

We stayed at Villa Del Sol on La Ropa beach last October. Don't recall a Villas Mexicana though. Is it beachfront or up the hill a ways by Casa Que Canta? We loved our stay there. There are lots of restaurants on the beach you can walk to for lunch or dinner. The shops are in town though, a short taxi ride away. There was no vendors to speak of on the beach because they do have one small area that they gather for a marketplace near the north end of the beach. We had wonderful meals; in town at Coconuts and Casa Elvira & on the beach at La Dolce Vita, La Gaviota & Elviras. Our hotel restaurant was the most expensive; the food was beautiful but unimaginative. Just be careful to order well cooked food & nothing you may be unsure of. My husband ordered some shrimp wrapped in bacon. I'm sure it was the undercooked bacon that got him & he was sick for two days. At the same restaurant I had the best meal we had there! They do flambe banana & coffee desserts right at your table on the beach under a tiki torch. Quite romantic (if no one gets sick!) We loved the town much better than over Americanized Ixtapa. The hotel served breakfasts & lunches for you on the beach by setting up a table with tablecloth, flowers etc., whenever you wanted. Very good service. <BR>Have fun, you'll enjoy the place.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 10:36 AM
michele

Peggy, <BR> <BR>Was the beach at Villa del Sol a good swimming beach? Did you spend much time in town? What is there to see and do other than swimming ( cultural activites??) Thanks. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 05:18 PM
Peggy

Michele, <BR>If you are a good swimmer, than it is a good swimming beach. I suppose the surf changes season to season but yes lots of people were swimming there. Town had alot of interesting shops & we happened upon a Saturday night service at the Catholic church in town that was interesting & on Sunday nights the whole town gathers at the basketball court (town center) for local dancing & tanlent contest & local food. It was interesting to see the young girls dressed up & escourted by their parents to dance with the young men. There was a good museum also. I think as with most towns the more you seek & read prior to going the more you find when you are there. We met retired Americans & Germans & Italians running restaurants in town & on Playa La Ropas that were fascinating to gather info about the area with. We also witnessed a sea turtle come up on the beach to lay eggs & everyone guarded her until she returned to the sea. I would recommend Villa del Sol on La Ropas beach. Great service but as with all Mexican hotels they tack an additional service charge on to your bill when checking out so overtip on a day-to-day basis. We visited Casa Que Canta but it just felt a little stuffy. Just my impression. Plus it had a really steep hike down to the beach. We had a suite with plunge pool for about $260.00US at VDS. It was a relaxing vacation & we would go back.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 05:24 PM
Peggy

Michele, <BR>I meant to say "Don't overtip on a day to day basis." You will pay an additional 10% on your total bill at checkout (that is on top of tips you charged to your room)