Notices

Yet another Bosque del Cabo cabina question

Old Apr 4th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yet another Bosque del Cabo cabina question

We visited BdC in 2008 and had to split our stay between Mariposa and La Palma. We loved the former, but did not care for the latter as much. The shower wasn't as private and the patio furniture was uncomfortable. We were a family of three at that point, and now are a family of 4 with our younger daughter being 5 years old, and we are planning to return to BdC in July. I am trying to choose between Pizote and Tucan. I heard Pizote has been renovated since we were there. Does anyone know of any pictures online of how it looks now? Can you recommend one over the other? One of our favorite things was lying down in the lounge chairs on Mariposa's patio. Are there lounge chairs at both of these cabinas, and do both have a secondary deck or patio? Also, if you have visited in July, how was the weather, and what part of the month were you there? I know I have a lot of questions, but please help. Thanks in advance, Fodorites!
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stayed in Tucan, and it was awesome. It had a nice outdoor bathtub which most of the cabins do not have, although I believe Mariposa has one too. Tucan had two big cushy lounge chairs out front when we were there. Lots of monkey visits too - we had big troops of capuchins, spider monkeys, and howlers come by because there was some fruit that they liked in the tree next to the cabin. It also has a loft with two beds upstairs, so it would be good for a family of 4. We've been in July and expected rain but did not get any. It was hot and humid as expected.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, volcanogirl. When in July were you there?
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 11:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've stayed 3 times in Pizote (since it was re-done) and 3 times in Tucan. I love both but I would probably lean toward Tucan just because the deck at Pizote and your 5 year old. The sides you'd hit ground but the front there's only a couple of feet and then it drops off. Both have patios, whereas Pizote has the deck and Tucan has a separate stone circle patio very similar to Mariposa. Both have lounge chairs. For July expect some rain, maybe later afternoon or evenings. Maybe you will get lucky and be there in "little summer", a brief respite from the rain.

Here are some pics (1st pic is Pizote, I also stayed in Aracari which is the other interior one you see) https://plus.google.com/photos/11286...Pr7i7L_nIGvqQE

More Pizote - https://plus.google.com/photos/11286...On80pjd0K3LrAE

Pizote & Tucan - https://plus.google.com/photos/11286...CNuBmd3v6PLoRw
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, tully. The pictures definitely help. Based on what both of you have said, I think we will go with Tucan. By the way, what is that structure with the spiral staircase in the first set of pics? Is that for all guests to use? I've heard about veranillo or little summer, but I don't whether there is a better chance of that in the beginning, or end of July.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We went towards the beginning of July; the little summer is about two weeks long, but I don't know the exact dates. We were there over the 4th of July, and they had an American style cookout for us with burgers, etc. There were some Brits staying there that teased us that we'd made a huge mistake staging a revolution against them - lol. We were thrilled not to have any rain. Felt very lucky.

Great pics, tully! The area out in front of Tucan was one of the things we loved about it, such a nice big extended area, and we spent a lot of time chilling in those big cushy lounge chairs. It's fun to take a bath with monkeys swinging over your head too.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks vg & wander.

The structure with the circular staircase is in the botanical garden. It's a big round structure near the Golfo Dulce trail entry. It was 2 stories but a couple years ago they added an extension of the staircase so it goes to a very small view area. Anyone can go up there. Little summer varies year from year, just depending on the climate, there aren't any set dates. Tucan is a great choice, think you will be happy there.