Yandup Island vs. Dad Ibe Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Panama and am looking into 2 night trip to San Blas. I want to appreciate the natural beauty but I need some degree of comfort, which makes it difficult to decide. Does anyone have any strong opinions about either of these 2 places to stay? I've read comments here and other boards and I'm torn.

Also, can anyone post a link to a good map of San Blas islands?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:46 AM

When are you going? We leave for Panama in < 3 weeks and have planned 2 nights at Yandup. I've read several reviews on Tripadvisor, but most of them seemed more positive than negative. I'm really looking forward to it and will try to post a report after we get back.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM

I stayed one night at Dad Ibe & it was definitely an amazing experience but I would rate it very low on a degree of comfort scale. I had a pretty good idea of what to expect but even so I wasn't completely comfortable there. After watching the crabs run across our floor during the day made it very difficult to fall asleep. If we kept the windows closed it was too hot but if we opened them I was afraid of what might come in. (no screens)My son was sick with a fever so I was very aware of how far away we were from any medical help if needed. There were also a lot of bees flying around very close to the ground. They seemed to move away as we walked but I kept envisioning one of us getting stung & having a reaction. I had thought we would be able to swim right off the island and although the water is beautiful, there is a lot of sharp coral which prevented us from doing so. If you like camping and roughing it then you would probably be fine but don't go with the expectations of any sort of luxury. On the positive side it was the quietest, darkest night I've ever experienced and I woke to a spectacular sunrise. I also thought our host Sam was wonderful. Here's a link to some of my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/petite111706/SanBlasPanama#
If I had it to do over I would choose a place with just a little more of a comfort level. I hope this helps & if you have any other questions just let me know.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Susan - I will probably be there the last week of Feb.

petite - Thanks for that info. It is definitely the kind of stuff I want to know about before I decide.

I always say I can sleep anywhere challenging for a night, so two nights shouldn't be any harder, (gulp) right?
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM

My wife and I stayed at Yandulup Island for 1 day.
1 day was a little silly, you could easily fill three days with enough to do while budgeting some great time for doing nothing.
For comforts, large private cabin, large canopy bed, surround walkway over the water, nearby restaurant, running water, and real toilet.
I don't remember there being hot water, but I could be wrong.
I've lived in Panama for some time and am over the whole hot water thing.

I agree about the night. Its truly amazing NOT to see any lights.

Here are a few photos from san blas on my wifes blog.

http://panamamio.com/category/tags/san-blas

Link to the lodge.
http://www.yandupisland.com/yeng/index_eng.htm
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 07:09 PM

just see this place and then say what you think about it
www.sanblaslodge.com
www.uaguinega.com