Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Will we see monkeys with this itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! Thanks to all who have posted here. I have planned my entire trip soley on the info that I have obtained from this forum. My family will be taking our first trip to Costa Rica in July. Our itinerary is basically Arenal area, Monteverde area and Pacuare River. I think we will get to do everything we want to do with this itinerary, but my kids are having a fit because we aren't sure about monkey sightings in these places. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:06 AM

We did our first trip in Dec03 and started out in Arenal -> Monteverde, saw monkeys from day one on. At Montana de Fuego hotel we woke to the sound of howler monkeys in the trees and hiked around the hotel grounds and found them easily. We did a Cano Negro tour from here and saw monkeys in abundance - howlers, white-face, and spider monkeys. Have a great trip, we're planning our next trip this November, watch out Costa Rica gets into your blood...you'll be planning your next visit as soon as you return! Ruth in Maine.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:55 AM

I did not see any monkeys in Arenal or Monteverde.

I did see many monkeys in Manuel Antonio.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:05 PM

You should see more than enough. Very active early in the morning starting around 5-5:30 am(Don't worry, you will naturally wake up early anyway. Sun comes up early since you are so close to the equator) and then again the jungle come alive around dusk. You'll see them during the day, just depends on where you are. I have seen along the Paquare during the quiet "float" portion of the whitewater trip. Rest of the time you are a little busy handling the rapids. Arenal they are abundent as long as your hotel sits close to some jungle.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:30 AM

We just returned from Arenal and Monteverde and I to really wanted to see monkeys.We took a guided tour of hanging bridges in Arenal and saw howler and another kind the first day.The next morning we were awaken by the howlers right outside our room at Tabacon.Then we went to Montonverde Lodge and saw a different type playing right outside our hotel window.It was all very cool.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM

I think just like your kids! I am planning a trip in August and was going to post a thread to this forum specifically about the need to see monkeys!! It is a must for my husband and I who are total monkey fanatics!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM

When I was in Manuel Antonio Park, one of the monkeys went up to a kid and swiped his bag of popcorn. I was able to get a few photo shots of the monkey waving the bag of popcorn after he climbed up a tree. Funny as hell.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:55 PM

Drake Bay. Osa penisnsula. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a monkey. White faced are abundant, howlers you hear, but might not see, and titis (squirrels) are around. They use the natural tree bridge between Lapa Rios and the oceon to cross the road. There has been talk about cutting these trees to clear the overhead for vehicles. Let us know if their passage has been impeded by "prosperity" if you visit the area.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM

We were lucky enough to see all four breeds of monkeys's while visiting Costa Rica. We woke to the howlers every morning in Arenal and Manual Antonio! A tip...anytime you see a tour bus stopped on the side of the road-stop too. Chances are the guide on their bus has spotted something!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:57 PM

We saw howler monkeys last summer in Arenal ant dusk. they are high in the trees.

Manuel Antonio, Specifically the Tulemar Bungalows. Monkeys jumped on our roof morning, noon and night. we saw them so much that we started recognizing their faces. The white face monkey troop travelled up and down the canyon outside our window. The little titi monkeys ate bananas out of our hands. The hotel staff called us and told us the titis were outsdie the restaurant and we got to run up and have them touch us! Thrilling!

In MA park the white face monkeys are bold! They stole a banana out of a ladies bag and my 7 year old had one come down a tree right next to him for a picture. The 12 foot Boa and all the iquanas were also entertaining! There were the loud howlers there as well.