Search

Will we need a 4x4 in CR???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will we need a 4x4 in CR???

We are planning to visit the following locations in CR in July. If we rent a vehicle, will we really need a 4x4 or will a regular car work? There is a big price difference.

Alajuela > Montezuma > Manuel Antonio > Arenal > Puerto Viejo (side trip to Bocas w/o car) > La Paz (including Poás) > San Jose

Thanks for all your help!!
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Dear LA FadeAway,
My boyfriend and I live in Costa Rica, and we own an old ('91) Hyundai Excel and it takes us everywhere! We love it, and we basically never have problems. I am not sure about the roads now to Montezuma, that is the only location that I am worried about, but all the other locations, you can easily do with a regular car, without a problem, all year long. It's a really good way to save money, and when not absolutely necessary, I always recommend my friends and family to rent a regular car.
Feel free to write me more directly.
Pura Vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Neta,
Thank you so much for all your help. Montezuma is also my biggest concern for driving. Anyone have any experience with driving there in the green season?
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:24 PM

You're going in July? We were in Montezuma in July with a 4 x 4, but could've done without it. They are just nice to have should you encounter rougher than usual roads. There are areas where you couldn't manage without one in July, but I don't think you have any of those on your itinerary. I'll bet you can do just as well with a Nissan Sentra or something comparable. You do have the option of renting one of the small 4 wheel drives. . like the Suzuki Ignius. . .they are less than, for example, a Toyota 4Runner. Check with Tri Color Rentals. . .we got quite a deal with them. We have always been very pleased with Dollar, but they beat Dollar's prices considerably.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info!!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac,
How was your experience with TriColor, other than the rate? I saw a post on the LP board about them being rude and trying to charge someone for a scratch that was already there. But...they are offering us the best price right now.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:15 PM

I answered your other post. Is that what you heard on the board. . .charging for something already there? When we go, we will make sure to go over the vehicle very closely with them and make note of anything we see. Thanks for that info. As I said, I really trust Juan Carlos at the Hotel Don Carlos so I am hoping that is an isolated incident!