Why does Cancun have such a bad rap?

Feb 9th, 2001, 04:33 PM
brandon

Why does Cancun have such a bad rap?

My family and have been thinking about going to Cancun for quite some time and have been discouraged every step of the way. We're not seasoned travelers but have been to Vegas, Frisco, LA & the Orange Coast, the Texas Gulf Coast, and Reno/Tahoe. We're looking for a beach vacation that'll keep us busy, is Cancun that beach?
Thanks for any info.

Feb 9th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Cancun Cutie

If walls of skyscraping hotels, hideous prices, timeshare vultures, prostitutes, drugs and escalating crime appeal then Cancun is for you.
As to " a beach vacation that'll keep us busy" that's an oxymoron right up there with 'Military Intelligence'.
Why not go for a week if you don't like it you never have to go back if you do you can surrender to a timeshare vulture.

Feb 9th, 2001, 06:54 PM
d motl

We have stayed in Cancun a lot. It is not our favorite place but does have its points. It is a beach place that can keep you busy shopping and touring if you are not in to beaches. If you really want to swim and goof around in the water than stay on the Isla Mujeres Bay side (not the Carribean which is often too rough to swim but great to look at and listen to.)

Feb 9th, 2001, 07:35 PM
dan woodlief

I am one of those who is not a big fan of Cancun itself for some of the reasons mentioned. I think a lot of people feel that if you are going to go to another country, it should at least seem like another country. I much prefer Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres in that area. All that said, we did spend 1 1/2 weeks in Cancun. However, we used it as a base to see everything (well, not literally everything) from Cozumel to Uxmal. If you don't spend all your time in Cancun, it doesn't have to be as bad as some make it sound. Then, of course, Cancun is just right for many people.

Feb 10th, 2001, 09:46 AM
texasgirl

Like Dan above, i'm not a fan of cancun That is mainly because of its chain restaurants, built-up atmosphere, and general feeling that you're in miami. I am assuming that is what people have been discouraging you about; please correct me if you have some other kind of reservations

That said, however, i think it's a good first-time stop for many people new to mexico. the beaches and the water are beautiful, you can find some good shopping and restaurants if you look, and if you are at all nervous about traveling in mexico, you will find plenty of things to remind you of home, if you are from canada or the us. (people speak english, there is every chain restaurant and hotel you have at home, etc) Plus, you're in a great location for exploring other parts of the yucatan peninsula. There is plenty to do in cancun, if you are speaking of watersports, cruises, trips to the ruins, shopping, nightclubs, etc. Just because it's not my choice, doesn't mean lots of other people don't love it.

Feb 11th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Roberto

Hello- I'm not sure whwre you have been getting all the bad information about Cancun but in my experience is not a dangerous place as you make it sound. Having said that Cancun is not for everybody as others have said if you like Miami (and nothing wrong with it) you'll like Cancun.

Now if you want to experience a different country the I would recomend Playa del Carmen is more Mexico like and you still have the beautiful beaches and the Caribbean. If you want to get more info I have a web page with info on Playa del Carmen (no ad just helping) www.playadelcarmenvacation.com

Good luck

Feb 12th, 2001, 06:37 AM
Erin

Hi,
My boyfriend and I just came back from our first trip to Cancun (my 3rd trip to Mexico; his first). If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, lounging at the beach/hotel pool...then Cancun is the place for you. Practically everyone speaks English, prices are quoted in dollars and they have every chain restaurant/fast food place that we have in the states (including an Outback Steakhouse). If you are looking for more hustle and bustle, more culture, more interaction with locals, then check out the cities south of Cancun like PDC.

Personally, we weren't that impressed with Cancun, so we rented a Jeep and hung out in Porto Morales, PDC, Cozumel and Tulum. We just ddn't like the sterile environment of Cancun.

Feb 12th, 2001, 12:09 PM
janice

Your vacation is what you make of it. We went to Cancun for the first time last March. My fiancee did not want to go. Now, he says we'll go back! We had a good time. We got on the bus with the locals and went! We went to "their" flea market. We didn't see too many tourists there. We stopped at small local places and didn't go to the chains. We didn't really swim so if the water was rough sitting on the beach was fine for us. Spent a day in Playa del Carmen/Couzumel. For us going in March wasn't a big deal. Yes, it was busy but we still had a great vacation.

Feb 13th, 2001, 05:28 AM
peggy

Cancun is beautiful but expensive. Do you just want to spend the time on the beach. Cancun is a great party place for those in the 18-26 age group. If you are going in the summer you will find it much more appropriate for family. We went there several times when our girls were teenagers (they are now 19 /21. It was fun - but the bartenders were serving them drinks (13/15) and we had to have a little discussion with the bartenders. My 13 year old came over to me and said she ordered a virgin pina colada and it tasted funny - well it was full of rum.
We did have a good time - so I don't know why it gets such a bad rap. It really depends upon your preference. In my book - it is probably equivalent to Miami Beach - no flavor of Mexico at all. Everything is in English - and I guess some people are more comfortable in this environment.

We have traveled all over Mexico - (my husband is Mexican and we have been looking to buy property. Last year we finally bought a condo in Playa del Carmen. The beaches are beautiful - as in Cancun. (It's about 40 minutes south) It is less expensive and more family oriented. Our girls actually travel there alone or with friends and feel very safe. There is a lot to do and you are in the middle of the corridor - so you can take the ferry to Cozumel for the day, visit the ruins at Tulum, horseback ride at Tres Rios (between Cancun and Playa), snorkel at Xcaret (10 minutes south). The town is quaint with many excellent restaurants. You could actually go to Cancun and spend a day if you so desire. One major difference in Playa is that all of beaches are public whereas in Cancun - you actually have to enter through a hotel and it is hard to find access if you are not staying there. In Playa the building codes are three stories, whereas in Cancun they are mega hotels. It is fun just to drive through the hotel area at night when they are all lit up and look at them - it is comparable to the Las Vegas strip. Quite impressive.

Anyway - don't be disheartened. If you really want to go to Cancun go for it. If you would like to consider Playa - check our web site at www.playadelcarmenvacation.com (yes we do rent our condo (sleeps five) - but I love to share infor with people).

Actually we are leaving today and will be back on Feb 22 - so if you have additional questions - feel free to emai me at [email protected] or my husband [email protected] we will be glad to help you. We do have FAQ about Playa on our site also so if you are thinking about Playa - this is a good source of information for you. If you want additional infromation about Cancun you can go to http://mytravelboard/cancun and post a message and you will get lots of information from those who love Cancun.

Let me know if I can help you further.
Peggy Hammeken

Feb 13th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Tony

My opionion is that some of you are idiots. Cancun has some of the best beaches in the world. Yes, it may be overbuilt a bit but drugs, prostitutes, unsafe? .....now that's Miami Beach. Some of you sound like "Ugly Americans". Ugly Americans are tourists from the US who do nothing but complain from the minute the plane takes off and cant live without McDonalds and KFC. I can understand someone wanting a low key vacation, so Cancun isnt for everyone. If you don't like it, please go somewhere else. I've been going to Cancun since 1974 and have seen it grow maybe more than it should have. It still offers a lot, beaches, restaurants, shopping, nightlife and lots of history within a short drive. As far as expensive, have you ever traveled anywhere else in the Carribbean and pay $5 for a coke like in Aruba or St Martin? Cancun is much easier on the wallet.

Feb 15th, 2001, 08:59 AM
lulu

My husband and I WENT TO CANCUN IN JUNE OF 99 WITHOUT OUR CHILDREN.AFTER THREE DAYS THERE I STARTED TO FELL GUILTY ABOUT NOT BRINGing THE KIDS BECAUSE WE WERE HAVING SUCH A GOOD TIME.Now as far as money goes,we found it to be very reasonable.In fact when my son who is in tenth grade graduates were taking all the kids.

Feb 17th, 2001, 08:08 AM
d motl

Cancun hotel have an 80% + year round occupancy rate. The highest of any major tourist destination in the world. This says volumes about what people think. People from US and Canada are easily outnumbered by persons from Europe, So America and Asian countries.
So the place also has international appeal.

Search this Thread