Search

Which Mayan ruin?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:00 AM
pcw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Mayan ruin?

If you have never visited a Mayan ruin anywhere in the Yucatan and had the opportunity to see one in Belize, which would you pick. Which is most visually impressive?

Thanks in advance

pcw
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:16 AM

I've been to most the ruins in Mexico and Guat. Only been to Lamanai in Belize but that was the one I wanted to go to. It has one of the tallest temples in meso-america and the site is beautiful. You have to take an hour boat ride down the river to get to it, which was great, too. So if you are in the area, I would go to Lamanai.
Sally
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:19 PM
pcw
Original Poster

Thanks Sally. That is the one that I thought looked most spectacular from my research. Just needed to hear it from someone who's actually been there.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Lamanai is great for its close enough proximity to Belize City and a few well visited islands, the jungle setting, wildlife and the site itself, which was one of the last to be occupied by the Maya. but the most imnpressive is Caracol, deep in the junglem, accssible from San Ignacio, Cayuo district. And numerous others I appreicate for different reasons. No lack of sites here in Belize.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:36 PM

I agree with Katie. It's no question that Caracol is the # 1 ruin in Belize. Lamanai is second in general appeal, then probably Xunantunich. Altun Ha is the most-visited ruin, mainly because it gets a lot of cruise ship and San Pedro traffic.

Of course Tikal, only an hour and a half from the western Belize border, is the most amazing ruin in the region.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com