Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where's the best Belize dive and Beach resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 03:09 PM
John Schnauck

My Wife and I are planning a trip to Belize. We are bringing our year and half old son and my 65 year old mother (who will do some babysitting while we dive!). My mom is happy to sit on a beach with a book and all of us are looking for something a bit off the beaten track. We would like to be able to make dive trips without leaving mom for too many hours at once. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 04:29 AM
Lan Sluder

If you are serious divers and all you want to do is dive (and eat and sleep), then you may want to go to one of the dive lodges on a remote caye -- for example, Manta, Lighthouse Reef Resort, Turneffe Flats, etc. But these spots having NOTHING but diving (and fishing and other water sports) -- no shops, no restaurants except at the lodge. <BR> <BR>If you want more of Caribbean resort island atmosphere, but laid-back and low key, look at Ambergris Caye. Diving around the island is good but not great, but there's lots to do for all ages. There are many very nice beach resorts -- traveling with extended family you might look at at condotel such as Villas at Banyan Bay, Sunset Beach or The Palms, or a suites hotel such as Blue Tang Inn, Fountain Blue or Caribbean Villas. <BR> <BR>Another option is Placencia or Hopkins. Most people consider the diving in this area superior to that around Ambergris, but the reef is a long way out. In Hopkins, I highly recommend Hamanasi, a new spot with beautiful rooms and suites, a fantastic pool and an overall dive orientation. In Placencia, the best place by far is Inn at Robert's Grove. <BR> <BR>--Lan Sluder <BR>Belize First Magazine

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 08:23 AM
dan

Hola Senor Lan! <BR> <BR>Do you have a website on Belize or for the magazine???????????? <BR> <BR>adios! <BR> <BR>dan

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Lan Sluder

http://www.belizefirst.com

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Katie Valk

If you base on San pedro, you'll find a nice selection of beachfront condos with pools, cable tv and full kitchens, which might work best for the youngest and oldest ion your family. Easy to arrange one tank local reef dives starting at 45 mins/35.00pp per tank. The reef is less than a mile from shore and doesn't take alot of time getting to and from dive sites. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Katie Valk <BR>Belize

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Marsh

John, <BR>I've recently discovered a new website, www.travelgavel.com. There's a 5-night package listed there for Banyan Bay Resort with starting bids at only $199!!!! Since it's new, there's not alot of bidding yet...the savings on this may help you make your decision!

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Jim

The only place in Belize worth going to is Ambergris Caye (pernounced Key)n unless you are there to see Mayan ruins. I staryed at Journey's End. It is a nice hotel with great diving.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Lan Sluder

&gt;&gt;the only place in Belize worth going to is Ambergris Caye&lt;&lt; <BR> <BR>Wow! That's great to know! Glad to have someone lay it out so clearly, so definitely, so .... <BR> <BR>I've spent more than 10 years banging around Belize, visited nearly every corner and out-of-the-way place, and I'm still discovering amazing new things, interesting new places and fascinating new people. <BR> <BR>But now I know I have been wasting my time, and that the only place I need to visit is Ambergris Caye. <BR> <BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Angie

This too will be my first trip to Belize. I will go in January with 2 girlfriends. Any thoughts as to where to stay? I want to dive everyday and my friends do not dive. I don't want to travel 1/2 a day from the airport either (like my last trip to Jamaica). We are looking for someplace that has plenty to do as well as great diving, but not too pricey. A travel agent recommended Mata Rocks or Journey's End. Any thoughts??? Thanks, I am completely lost on my search, there are just too many options, where do I start? <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Lan Sluder

Angie, <BR> <BR>I think in your case, with two non-diver friends and you a diver, Ambergris Caye does make the most sense. There's lots to do on the island, day trips you can make, and you can dive every day if you wish (and if the weather cooperates). <BR> <BR>Mata Rocks is a good mid-level choice. Next Banana Beach is a great choice, and a great value, and the units are all one-bedroom suites. Toward town a few hundred feet is another great choice, though more expensive -- Villas at Banyan Bay which is all two-bedroom units. Coconuts, run by the same people who run Banana Beach, is one of the very best values on the island. A new hotel, Fountain Blue, at the north end of town, is very nice, though the in-season rates look a bit pricey. Lots of other great places -- Mayan Princess, The Palms, Sunset Beach, Belize Reef Suites, Paradise Villas, Holiday Hotel, among them. <BR> <BR>Staying at Journey's End (the biggest resort on the island) would be okay, but it's on North Ambergris and to get back and forth to town or to most restaurants you need to take a water taxi. Since you're looking for plenty to do, staying in town or south of town is probably the way to go. <BR> <BR>Another alternative is Caye Caulker, but it's smaller with much less to do, though it has a nice small village feel and most of the lodging is budget or moderate level. <BR> <BR>--Lan Sluder <BR>Belize First Magazine <BR>(and I updated the latest Fodor's)

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Gaz

Hi John<BR><BR>We have a great spot and seems like it would fit in well with what you have planned.<BR><BR>2 bedroom Lux Condo right on the beach over 1200 sq ft in size <BR><BR>All our divesites are located within 10 minutes of our resort and we return to the resort between dives depart 9am return 10.30 surface interval 10.30-11.30 for refreshments, this would allow you to check on the kids then its off for the second dive of the day and usually completed by Lunchtime.<BR><BR>We have a Great beach for the kids and for Grandmother to read and we are located on a nice area 10 minutes North of Ambergris Caye.<BR><BR>Check out our website and feel free to ask any questions <BR><BR>Gaz Cooper<BR>Playa Blanca Beach Resort

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Gaz

Hi John<BR><BR>We have a great spot and seems like it would fit in well with what you have planned.<BR><BR>2 bedroom Lux Condo right on the beach over 1200 sq ft in size <BR><BR>All our divesites are located within 10 minutes of our resort and we return to the resort between dives depart 9am return 10.30 surface interval 10.30-11.30 for refreshments, this would allow you to check on the kids then its off for the second dive of the day and usually completed by Lunchtime.<BR><BR>We have a Great beach for the kids and for Grandmother to read and we are located on a nice area 10 minutes North of Ambergris Caye.<BR><BR>Check out our website and feel free to ask any questions <BR><BR>Gaz Cooper<BR>Playa Blanca Beach Resort<BR>www.playablancabelize.com