Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to go with decent beach in Belize?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking at going to Belize for our anniversary next year, but could use some advice as to where to go. Does anyone have any suggestions for someplace that has good beaches with good sand where we can swim. We don't dive, but would be interested in snorkeling. I've read conflicting posts about Caye Caulker and Ambergris (?) Caye having not very nice beaches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Ambergris have a few areas with good beach. Placencia has the best beaches in Belize
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Katie, do you have any suggestions for hotels in/or around Placencia? We would prefer something very nice, not too big, not too resort-y, and cost is not really an issue. Thanks
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Would like to preface this by saying I am a beach freak. Was in Ambergris and Placencia in February and here is the real scoop. Forget the beaches in Ambergris for swimming. Shallow water with no wave action and lots of unappetizing seagrass. There are some sandy beaches, but the water is not appealing. Great place to snorkel since the reef is very close, maybe 1/2 mile from shore.

Stayed in Placencia just north of SAKS and Turtle Inn, but the water there was really murky and even less appealing. We walked down to Turtle Inn where the water was nicer. If price is not a factor, this might be the place for you. Actually the closer you got to town, the nicer the beach was but the accomodations were not as nice. The reef is much further offshore from Placencia so snorkel trips take much longer to get to the reef. If you are really looking for a "beach vacation", I don't think Belize is the place to go.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 08:35 PM

I agree with Jamamac. The beaches in Belize simply are not good. We stayed in Ambergris Caye and Placencia and found neither places very good. The beaches at Placencia were very murky, lots of sea grass and jelly fish. We took a snorkel trip to another atol which was much better. Also the beaches in Belize are dirty, lots of debri.I couldn't belive the stuff that was washed up on the beaches. Very unappealing.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think we have decided on Ambergris Caye. The beaches look nice enough (bright blue water, white sand, etc.) in pictures, and while I said we wanted to swim, I would be happy to have clean water in which we could our get our feet wet. Katy, do you have any agents you could suggest for VH?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 06:59 AM
z

White sand? You must be kidding. Agree with others. Belize in interesting destination but beaches are terrible. Katie is a travel agent and this is how she gets many of her clients by posting on this board.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 09:20 AM

I'm not a travel agent, but, I do love Belize. It certainly is true that you won't find the stunning beaches that I've seen in Cancun and Tulum.

But, there are some stretches of white sand on Ambergris Caye. The swimming isn't very good right off shore because of the sea grass, but there is some fairly decent snorkeling off many of the docks. And the water is blue and clear.

Anyone wants to see pictures e-mail me at: [email protected]