Search

Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go?

Hello all - I'd greatly appreciate some help in making a destination decision.

I plan to go with the whole family (6 of us, the youngest being 19, a 23 year old and 2x25 year olds, so no young'uns) to either Central America, Caribbean or Mexico. We would like to have a beach vacation at an all inclusive but have at least a couple of days off of the resort seeing nature. Rainforests, rivers, animals, birds - that type of stuff. We're looking for a fairly luxurious resort, but not over the top...ie: 4 star is good. We will be going for 1 week only, and will be going at the end of December - leaving anywhere between December 26th and January 1st.

I've heard about Costa Rica, Honduras (Roatan), Nicaragua for Central America, and I'm not that familiar with Mexico. 7 days on the beach would be too boring for us as the family likes adventure, but we would also like to have some downtime at a beautiful beach.

Thoughts??

Thanks!
Suzy
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 07:41 PM

I just want to point out that you are traveling in the very highest of the high seasons in the Caribbean and anywhere on the coast of Mexico, esp the Caribbean coast. The high Christmas season extends from about Dec. 20 until Jan. 10. Rates will be at their highest of the entire year at that time. Just want to point that out in case you didn't understand that. Rates can be 50%, 75%, to 100% higher than any other time of year (aside from Semaana Santa) then.

I am not at all familiar with Central America, but hopefully rates do not jump as high there as they do in Caribbean and Caribbean of MX then.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 06:23 AM

You do not mention ancient sites so perhaps The Yucatan is not for you.
In any event if you are staying at AI it does not really matter all that much which beach you choose IMO.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 06:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Have you thought about Belize? There are a number of AIs on Ambergris Caye. Although the beaches have sea grass, the snorkeling and fishing are great. Many offer day excursions to Mayan ruins in the rain forest, birdwatching, cave exploring, river trips, etc.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 03:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Your descriptions sound a lot like Costa Rica. But I'm not sure about the availability of "all inclusives" there?
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 04:57 PM

ֿCancun/ Playa Del Carmen in Mexico is nice. There isn't really that much animal stuff there from what I know of, but there is a lot to do there. (From Water Stuff to ATVs, Ziplines, horseback riding. There is also ancient sites. ruins there that sound good but haven't been.) The beaches are also nice. I know that Playa Del Carmen is in the Caribbean, but not sure about Cancun. Also as all inclusive, there are A LOT there!! Playa Del Carmen is good because it is close to some of the wilderness/ forest type activities, has a nice beach, and is close to the airport. (Cancun Airport) In Cancun, there is an area called the Hotel Zone, with a bunch of hotels. I've bean to Cancun a bunch of times and it is nice. Another is is Cabo San Lucas of Mexico but haven't been there. There aren't as many hotels, though. I don't know much about The Caribbean, but I've bean to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic before and there is nice beaches, a lot to do (not as much as Cancun), nice beaches, and lots of hotels. (Like Cancun/Playa Del Carmen, a lot All Inclusive.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 05:11 PM

ֿCancun/ Playa Del Carmen in Mexico is nice. There isn't really that much animal stuff there from what I know of, but there is a lot to do there. (From Water Stuff to ATVs, Ziplines, horseback riding. There is also ancient sites. ruins there that sound good but haven't been.) The beaches are also nice. I know that Playa Del Carmen is in the Caribbean, but not sure about Cancun. Also as all inclusive, there are A LOT there!! Playa Del Carmen is good because it is close to some of the wilderness/ forest type activities, has a nice beach, and is close to the airport. (Cancun Airport) In Cancun, there is an area called the Hotel Zone, with a bunch of hotels. I've bean to Cancun a bunch of times and it is nice. Another is is Cabo San Lucas of Mexico but haven't been there. There aren't as many hotels, though. I don't know much about The Caribbean, but I've bean to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic before and there is nice beaches, a lot to do (not as much as Cancun), nice beaches, and lots of hotels. (Like Cancun/Playa Del Carmen, a lot All Inclusive.