Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What would be the most logical order for this itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, guys! We're thinking of rafting the Pacuare, spending time in Arenal, and also doing two nights in Tortuguero. What order makes the most sense for this trip? Do we need to be in San Jose to be picked up for Tortuguero and for the rafting? We just want a daytrip rafting, not overnight. What do you think?
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM
RAC

You may want to email the folks at exploradores outdoors or rios tropicales about a package deal--both run rafting trips in the Pacuare and the Arenal areas, and they do overnight packages for Tortuguero. They could probably arrange your transfers between all three places.

In terms of the order, it would probably depend if you're planning on having your own vehicle at any point, and how you're planning to/from Tortuguero.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi, RAC - we're not going to rent a vehicle. We were thinking of using Costa Rica Expeditions.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM

vgirl -- The company I'm going with to Tortugero will pick me up at Hotel Villa Bonita, so I'm staying there my first night as I don't get in until 8:40pm. However, other companies I talked with wanted to pick up only in San Jose...money talks though. ;-) I think CR Expeditions runs the Pacuare too, don't they? Seems like I remember them having a tent camp. Anyway, if you're just doing the day trip it seems like time in Arenal in between Tort and rafting would be nice.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM

Sounds like a great trip! You'll also want to consider if you're going to take the boat both to and from Tortuguero. We did the boat in and flew back to save a full day - after the boat ride there and all the boating while in Tortuguero, another 3 hour boat ride, plus a drive back to San Jose really wasn't necessary - by flying, we were back in San Jose before 8 am. We didn't miss out on anything that last day because those leaving by boat left basically right after breakfast. We looked at CR Expeditions, and they sounded great from the email coorespondence. They will pick up at other hotels outside San Jose for an additional fee. We ended up going with the Watsons, mainly because they were recommended and they were much less expensive - and basically the packages are all about the same. We stayed at Laguna Lodge and really liked it.

I'd think depending on when you get to San Jose, you could do the rafting on your first full day. Do your overnight after the airport at someplace like Don Carlos - then you'd get your pick up for the rafting there and you can spend the next night there for the pick up for Tortuguero, They're inexpensive and it's a nice property. They can arrange for you transportation from the airport as well. Then go from there the day after the rafting to Tortuguero for the 3 day/2 night trip. I'd personally fly back to San Jose and get picked up by your driver right at the air strip to go to Arenal for the end of the trip. We flew on Nature Air from Tortuguero and were able to get their discounted flights when we booked last year.

When are you going?
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys; we haven't picked any dates yet. I'd like to go during turtle time. Shell, that's a great idea to fly back from Tortuguero. I think going in by boat would be fun, but you're right that we don't need to do it back as well if we'll be spending time on the canals. I'm trying to limit all the time in San Jose and was thinking we might raft out of Arenal instead, but not sure if that could in any way live up to the Pacuare. hip, I also like your idea of doing Arenal in between Tortuguero and rafting. Argh, too many decisions, but it's a good problem to have!
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM

I'm flying back from Tort as well. From what I've read more of the packages are offering this now, and the boat ride back seems to be more of a speedy delivery than a sightseeing trip anyway. The Nature Air locos fares are great but taxes are high on top of the published fares, as any airline are I suppose.

Happy planning!