Search

SPANISH SCHOOLS IN PANAMA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPANISH SCHOOLS IN PANAMA?

I'm researching Spanish school options for a Spanish language trip to Panama. Has any one experienced or heard anything about these schools in Boquete?

Habla Ya www.hablayapanama.com
Spanish by the River www.spanishbythesea.com/schoolboquete.html

I've pretty much ruled out Bocas del Toro which I think would be a poor immersion environment for Spanish study (though I'll spend time there before or after the weeks of study) and am not much of a city person so 2 weeks in Panama City doesn't thrill me.

Thanks in advance for any input regarding Spanish study in Panama!
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 10:59 AM

If you're looking for a serious language program I can truly recommend ILISA Instituto de Idiomas (www.ilisa.com). They've been around for a long time and have great team of friendly and qualified teachers. Moreover, their location at the City of Knowledge in Clayton is also very nice.

I spent 2 weeks at ILISA last December. They also arrange homestays but I stayed at a small B&B in Balboa called the Balboa Inn.

Panama is great. I love it!
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, but I'm not much of a city person and the combination of city and heat while studying in July or August doesn't appeal. I'm looking forward to my first visit to Panama, summer 2010. It's seems odd to be planning so far in advance with 5-6 weeks coming up in Guatemala and Belize, but it's a long process to set up the plans for a group to travel and receive university credit - no time like the present! One of our sons was an exchange student in Panama in 04-05 so visiting his people will add a wonderful dimension to the trip. Thanks for your input on this forum.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Spanish Panama is the most popular in the city and I had solid instruction there. It's very professional but as you say it is ideal only for city-lovers as it's in the middle of the action. They can plan excursions to the country and that may be a good way to go. When i was there i drove every day to Gamboa which is very quiet and a Smithsonian nature research center so it was the best of both worlds.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing - I'll make a note for future reference.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:59 PM

My sons and I did 2 weeks of Spanish school at Habla Ya. I'd recommend them. All instruction is in Spanish and you can do individual or small group (no more than 4, we had 2, people in a group). They also can help arrange host stays, which we did (and recommend) and tours. We loved Boquete. It was small enought to walk around and get to know easily. Highly recommend.
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, Susan. I think I'll head there next summer (2010) with a group in tow.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM

I attended 4 weeks of classes at Habla Ya in Boquete. The school is modern and clean, and the staff is warm and friendly but also very professional. The last week was spent one-on-one with a professor. I had high expectations before going, but the actual experience far exceeded them. Would I go back? Absolutely!
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

More info appreciated.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM

Total immersion is the best way to learn a language...stay with a local family...attend extra-curricular activities (Spanish language movie Wed. night, salsa dance class on Sat., group discussion in Spanish of a topic). Group topic was intimidating at first, but I decided it was important to just dive in. I took classes in a.m., went to lunch with new friends, sat in the park in the afternoon to do homework and practice Spanish and ate dinner with my 'family'. The people are warm and giving and love to help with the learning process. Some good restaurants within walking distance such as A Mi Modo, Artes Cafe and Nelvis. Let me know what specific info you would like and I'll do my best to help you.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Recommendations for teachers or families? Did you participate or learn about any local volunteer opportunities?