What to do with a free day in the San Jose area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a full day to explore the area surrounding San Jose and want to make the most of it. I'd like to hear suggestions in how you would best fill your day to get the most out of it. Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:26 AM

We only had an afternoon in San Jose and we had a taxi driver give us a tour. He showed us upmarket neighborhoods, parks, historical sites and then to dinner in Old Town which was fun and safe. Very touristy...like old town San Digo. Our expectations were low so we enjoyed his local insight and tour very much.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking more of tours and adventures outside of the city. I'm torn between a day at Poas and LaPaz, a Tram Tour or a tour up to Arenal and the hot Springs. We have arranged for a driver just can't decide which way to go.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Don't recall what other areas of CR you are visiting.

My vote is for Poas/La Paz. The drive is very interesting, you will see much and it will be a nice easy day.

Arenal is a wonderful place - for a few days. Tons of things to do - but for a day trip it would make for a very long day.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:13 AM
dhuszai

Although we haven't gone yet, we have hired Percy's driver, Oscar, to take us through the Orosi Valley for our free day. We are planning to visit the Irazu Volcano, the Basilica in Cartago, Lankester Gardens and then Carchi Lake and Dam. Should make for a full final day before we have to head home.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:07 AM

dhuszai - I hope you enjoy this day as much as we did in Feb. Very memorable last day for us.

The Basilica - I just simply cannot put my feelings into words. It was a truly beautiful place, but the feeling for me at least was so very powerful.

Stop at the ruins in Cartago for a few pictures and history.

Lankester Gardens was very interesting.

The views coming down toward Orosi and the Lake are awesome.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:43 AM
dhuszai

dfarmer --

The Basilica is the reason we decided to fly from MA to SJ rather than drive. There was no other way to get to the Basilica with the schedule we had. I love churches (which is odd because I am not overly religious) and try to see as many as possible. Do you know if they allow pictures to be taken inside or if they conduct tours? The Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in DC did not allow pictures to be taken when I was there many years ago I think due to the camera flash on the great art, but the Washington National Cathedral did when I was there a couple of years ago.

Also, in Oscar's email, he suggested that we have lunch at the Sanchiri Lodge that overlooks the Valley. Are you familiar with it?

I'm also into ruins so I do think it's the perfect way to end our trip.

Four months to go......Can hardly wait.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I do recall a sign requesting you to not take pictures inside the church. When we were visiting there was quite alot of activity going on in the sanctuary, lots of people, prayers and such. I almost felt that I was intruding. It is quite beautiful as you will see.

I don't recall a tour, certainly worth asking about, but our driver just took us through and explained about the church and it's history.

Ask Oscar to point out the various churches along the way. We passed by several and stopped to visit another in Orosi (I believe).

No, I am not familiar with the lodge you mention, but I am sure it will be good. I wish I knew the name of the place we ate! Normally I take a picture of the signs for future reference, or at least write it down. I have many pictures from this restaurant but not one that includes the name.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great information!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM

I can second the motion on everything that dfarmer has said.

I know Sanchiri Lodge very well as we (Oscar and I)had an afternoon lunch there.

You will sit by a nice big window that over looks Orosi Valley and the town in the near distance.

Let Oscar order for you..just tell him you want to sample some Tico food.

I had Cerviche and this great dessert(Oscar chose this) called Tres leches...which is a cake soaked in sweet condensed milk and covered with whipping cream...Hmmm Yummy!!!

Oscar will definitely take you to a nice lookout spot where you can view the Orosi Valley.

That river you will see running through the valley is the Reventazon River which you probably have read about.

The Church dfarmer is talking about is the Franciscan church,in the town of Orosi.

The significance of this church is that it is the oldest church in Costa Rica which is still used for service.

The ruins in Cartago have a flower garden inside and is open to the air.
There are several arches, one with a bell hanging down from the arch...nice place to take a picture.

The ruins are only about 2 blocks away from this amazing church everyone talks about.
You have to see the color scheme inside...different and amazing.

There is free Holy Water to drink on the right hand side.

You may or may not see the Irazu Volcano..sometimes it is too cloudy to drive up the winding road.. but you will not know until you get there.

The Lankester Gardens are a skip and a hop away from Cartago...it only costs about $6.00 to tour these Orchid Gardens.

Say Hi to Oscar for me. He just sent me an e-mail last night.

dfarmer gave you some good points,she is always so helpful.

Percy

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Question for Percy -
I am trying to book the canopy "combo" tour in Costa Rica for next week. I have sent a couple emails to vargas (sp?) tours from the website and an email address I found in one of the threads... no response. Are they pretty reliable and if I haven't gotten it booked before we go, will it be tough to get it booked when there? Going jan. 16-21 staying at four seasons - want to do the combo (mudslide, waterfall, pools, canopy) wednesday.
Let me know your thoughts...
thanks
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM

kelluc

No problem if you get there and call Ricardo Vargas.

His wife Lupita (Lou-Peeta) handles all the bookings .

They are very reliable.

They live near Coco Beach.

When you call them at (506) 670-0790 and the cell is (506)385 4312.

When in Costa Rica..just disregard the (506) as there is NO area code in Costa Rica,so just dial away !!

Ricardo Vargas
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

This is his e-mail.

But since you are leaving on Monday, when you arrive at the Four Seasons..then call Lupita, or/and send Lupita an e-mail and tell her to call you at the Four Seasons.

Either way you two will connect.

Also ,mention my name to Lupita( she knows me well).

Tell her " Percy said you would look after my tours requirements."

She told me when I tell others about their tours for them to mention my name and she will "Bend over backwards for them" !!!

And she will.!!

Have a good time.
I did the tour you will be taking...you lucky person.

Percy

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Thanks for your quick response. I have emailed Varcas again and haven't gotten an answer but received an email back from carol at jandctours.com - she emailed me within an hour. I would like to get things all settled before going.
Do you know anything about j and c tours? Their price was $145 vs. Varcas $125 for the combo
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:31 AM

I do not know about the other tour.

I did the Vargas Tour and it was great.

Keep trying to get a hold of Lupita..call her , the phone cost is not great.

If you are in the USA then you dial like this:

670-0790

Percy
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 05:39 AM

I've been taking notes!
I am going to San Jose from Thrs. 2/23/06 to Mon. 2/27/06 (I have 4 Full days).
My husband has business here. I'm going along for the ride. I'm interested in doing a bit of day tripping myself. (There's only so much sun & pool I can do!)
Percy, How do I contact your driver? I want to see some of the wonderful things described above! I don't want to travel too far. We are staying at the Real InterContinental. Any advice?