Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between Tequila and Mezcal ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for my drinking education !
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 03:53 AM

Mezcal is a particular (not very good imho) brand of tequila.

Tequilas can be very complex, and the best are best sipped alone (no lime, salt or guzzling aloud) or accompanied only by a small glass of chilled sangrita (a peppery tomato drink).

Good tequila is a far cry from the stuff we have probably all at one time or another done shots of and ended up in a bad situation in a restroom. amp;
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:07 AM

They are produced in different regions.
The "best" tequila is 100% Agave and is very expensive: priced and savored like a good cognac.
M (SMdA, MX)
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Have a look here:

http://mezcal.drinkstraders.com/mezvsteq.html
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Well for it to be "real" Tequilla it has to come from the State of Jalisco. Most Mezcal comes from Oaxaca. The process for making Mezcal is similar, but not as refined nor taken as far. As Mikemo points out there are some pretty fancy Tequillas. On the other hand there are starting to be some higher end Mezcals that are not too bad. There is also a big industry for flavored Mezcals, herbs, insects, chicken breasts (the claim is this makes it milder) in it, you name it.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:29 AM

& mezcal has the worm as well as the not so subtle kerosene-like flavor. For medium priced, good tequila try Patron or Cabo Wabo.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:02 AM

I also like Cabo Wabo. (I thought, CABO WABO?) What does Sammy Hagar know about tequila??? (I doubt he makes it in his basement.) It's pretty good.

My favorite mid-priced is Herradura.

I also like Tres Generaciones, Reserva de La Familia and the 1800.

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Marko, you'll be in Oaxaca where they serve wonderful nieves. (Similar, I suppose, to ice cream, but nieve is 'snow' I think in Spanish.) We had a very pleasant lunch at La Biznaga in Oaxaca and we ordered the nieve with mezcal for dessert. It was wonderful, and I'm not a tequila or mezcal fan, so was the only way I had mezcal in Oaxaca.

Then we spent a week in Puerto Escondido where the owner of a lovely little restaurant gave us complementary shots after dinner. I had a coffee flavoured mezcal and it was quite pleasant. So maybe it is drinkable!

Another nieve (though non-alcoholic) in Oaxaca was leche quemada, which translates to burnt milk, I think. It's also wonderful.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM

For what its worth the majority of the Mexican folks I have talked to think Don Julio is the best Tequilla. I'm not so sure.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM

In comparative tastings (which are published) Hornitos is VG for mixing and Chinaco and El Tesoro de Don Filipe Anejos are top end.
I agree with the Hornitos choice, but I like the El Tesoro de DF Anejo much better than Chinaco.
M
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 02:54 PM
wj1

Hi Marko.

Top of the line mezcal's can be darn good. You will see a number of mezcal tasting stores in Oaxaca City but the quality didn't compare to a place that our guide took us to outside the city. The owner is an American who spends much of his time in search of the perfect village mezcals--almost like he was in search of the holy grail. This place was certainly atypical of all the other tasting places; the mezcals are all pretty high end. (The prices were less there than they are on the website.) The place does not cater to tourists but you can certainly buy the mezcals you taste. Here is the website:
http://www.mezcal.com/about.html I'm not sure how you can arrange a stop since the owner isn't always there, but I know you're pretty resourceful. Have fun. And these don't come with worms.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 03:27 PM

I'm a wino, but you really have to search and taste lots of stuff to discover the best for the buck.
M
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Comparing mezcal to tequila, and vis versa is an apples to oranges exercise.

When buying tequila look for the notation on the label: "100% de Agave." Without the notation you're getting adulterated product. And about tequila only coming from Jalisco, that's no longer true. Agave plants from four or five states are permitted to be used in tequila (long ago only agave from Jalisco was permitted).

About which brand is "best." Beauty, and taste, is in the eye (and palate) of the taster.

About mezcal and the worm: my recollection is that there's really no significance to the work except that it's used as a marketing tool - and that not all brands have the worm. I don't like the taste of mezcal, so you can eat all the worms you want - and I won't be offended!

Most tequila is sent to the USA for sale, and that's why Mexicans are having to drink adulterated product and/or mezcal - distillers are looking for the biggest buck profit.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Both Tequila and Mezcal are liquors distilled from the agave plant. For this liquor to be a Tequila, it has to be distilled from the Blue Agave variety in the state of Jalisco and some counties in the states of Nayarit, Guanajuato, Tamaulipas and Michoacan.

A true Mezcal will come from the states of Oaxaca, Guerrero, Durango, San Luis Potosi and Zacatecas. While there are some really great Mezcales, it is usually seen as a poor man's Tequila.

If you can find them, Don Julio Reposado and Reserva de la Familia are really good Tequilas.

Oh, and Mexico produces in excess of 110 million liters of Tequila per year. 60 million liters are exported.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Just looks like I will have to undertake my own research !!!! Fill the backpack with limes and salt and go from cellar door to cellar door !!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

My wife wants to know what is the best cocktail to include Mezcal ?
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:00 AM

I stole this quote from another message board:

"When life gives you lemons, ask for Tequila and salt."

20 days to go to Riviera Maya (yep, I'm going)

Marti
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Hope you are not planning on flying to Mexico. All incoming flights have been cancelled until December 14.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Where did you hear that? Not what my travel agent or UA vacations is telling us!
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Not much difference--they're both pretty bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -