Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What did you find out while in CR that you wished you'd known before?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our spring break trip to CR is exactly one month away. I'm still trying to brush up on my high school Spanish, but other than that, I'm think I'm set.

But what DON'T I know? What did you find out or discover once you got to CR that you wished you'd known in advance?
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Hi Missypie,

I think we follow you to CR. I hope you'll post any info you learn!! I noticed on your other post that you're going to Ecoterminales instead of Tabacon. I was going to reserve Tabacon. What made you decide to do Eco?
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM

eco and tabacon are SO completely different, so you have to figure out what experience you want - eco is small, has only 4 pools and has limits on capacity - we went at night and it is dimly lit and quiet - just the sound of the springs running

we did not go to the springs at tabacon, but went to the spa and you walk through the springs to get to the spa - it reminded me of a scene in miami - music, lots of people, swim up bar

going to eco was a great choice for us - perfect place to decompress and enjoy each other's company - the dinner was really good - my husband declared it to be the coolest place he had ever been
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM

things i wish i knew:

you are not guaranteed to see the volcano even though it is the dry season! i thought dry=clear volcano views - we were there for 3 nights and even on the last day when the volcano had shown about 90% of itself all day, the clouds rolled in at night and we never saw lava at night other than one cloud covered spark of it that we both still wonder if it was just our wishful imaginations playing tricks on us!!!! not knowing it is probable that yuo won't see, i had fallen in love with the idea of seeing it, and was thus left slightly broken hearted

the other thing i wish i knew was that the road to monteverde is inexplicably and unimaginably horrible and long and bumpy and exhausting and even though i knew it was "bad" we went but i had no possible way to know that i would hate life by the end of it and no way to know that i would decide that it was not worth the trip up the mountain because the getting back down was just as bad! (I know some people love monteverde/santa elena, and I say all of this in good humor and with no mal intent, but jeeze it was horrible and we agreed that we would not go back there unless we helicoptered in!!!)
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM
lvk

missypie,

I wish I knew which ATM's would work with our cards. Many others didn't. They say that most ATM's would only work with cards with 4-digit pins. However, even our card with the 4-digit PIN didn't work at some of the ATM's.

The one at the airport did - and gave colones as well as dollars.

We also had luck at the ATM's inside the Mas X Menos markets.

Have fun!
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 05:01 AM

Just a few thoughts.. some basics, some not so basics! Have a great trip! From Lisa in Manuel Antonio

Learn a bit of Spanish before you arrive and bring a good Spanish dictionary. Lonely Planet’s Costa Rica Spanish Phrasebook is great. In most restaurants the wait staff will allow you to linger over your drinks, coffee etc. You must ask for your check.. They will not automatically bring your check when they think you are finished. Learn or use your phrasebook for menu items, not all menus are in English. Don’t drive after dark. Sunset is approx. the same time all year 5:30 pm. Bugs are most active at sunrise and sunset. In most places, you can drink the water. Even though the eggs are not refrigerated, they are okay to eat. Always use a calling card to place calls to your home/office etc. or you will be charged the international rate which is astronomical. Bring a card from home or purchase a card here at the farmacia or tourist shop. Farmacias (pharmacies) are located in most villages and tourist areas. They are well equipped to handle travelers dilemmas (ie: antibiotics, bandages, Imodium etc.) and many have a nurse and/or doctor on staff. Use sunscreen even if you’re in the shade. Watch out for riptides in the Pacific regions. Pack your suitcase for your vacation and then take out half of the contents. Laundries are common and inexpensive. Pack cotton clothing vs. spandex as cotton is much cooler. Local transportation is excellent via bus and/or taxi. Don’t be intimidated to use the public transit. Bring a small flashlight. Bring extra batteries for your camera. Always lock your car. Make a copy of your passport prior to your trip (pic page). Always use the room safe for valuables, cash, passports etc. Go easy on the perfume and/or scented body lotions (if at all). You will smell nice but the bugs will love you also! If you must try the local Guaro, do so… but in moderation. If you bring US dollars, make sure the bills are in excellent condition, no rips. Don’t wait til the end of a weekend to use the ATM, they might be empty/out of money. Travelers checks are best exchanged at a bank and you’ll need your passport to do it(original not the copy). Banks are a mad house on Monday morning. HAVE FUN!
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Lisa's tips are great. I especially find the one about packing your luggage then taking out half the contents to be useful. I pack lighter and lighter every time, but I'm still bringing too much. Two of my traveling companions in Jan. did it right. They bought super lightweight, quick-drying clothes from REI, including a waterproof pants & jacket combo, and wore the same thing almost every day. They washed things out and put them on the beach to dry and everything fit into one bag. I've also found that duffle bags seem to work much better in CR than those big, heavy wheeled suitcases. A lot of hotels tend to be up long, curvy hills, maybe paved w/ stones or lots of steps, and you have to pick up your suitcase anyway because they won't roll. My wheeled bag weighs 15 lbs. empty. A duffle bag is almost weightless and you can get a lot of stuff in them. You can kind of kick the bags through the airport lines with your foot so you don't have to hold them.

Also, bring an empty duffle bag so you can fill it up w/ coffee or other souvenirs on the way home.

Sandy
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Greetings! About the ATMs that work and those that don't, I believe what we figured out about that was that Banco Nacional ATMs do not work (and they're everywhere). The ATM from almost every other bank (which are not national but INTERnational banks) DID accept my ATM card. Exchange was accurate, easy and safe. I loved using ATMs once I was able to see the pattern and know which ones would work. My 12 and 13 yr old kids and I spent a month traveling around CR in June-July 2004 on public transportation (bus). We took way too much but will do better next time...this summer maybe.

Happy travels,

Julie
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

So I guess the "Learn Spanish" CD's I bought won't be wasted. It is amazing how little I remember of the three years of Spanish I took...(maybe becuase it was 30 years ago!)
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:00 PM

No -- listen to your CDs and try out your Spanish every chance you get -- even if they speak English. By the end of my vacations I get all confused and often realize that I've had a whole conversation where the other person is speaking English and I'm speaking Spanish w/o realizing it!

Sandy
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:34 PM

Hi Julie,
How have you been? It would be great to meet up in CR this summer. We're hoping to get there in July, fingers are crossed. . .we barely missed each other at Vida Tropical in 2004, I think! Stay in touch. .
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:19 PM

If you're driving yourself, carry a compass...Invaluable with the minimal signage and windy roads.

Ditto on the flashlight suggestion..power outages are common and restaurants can be dark at night.

Bugs aren't a problem if you are faithful with your DEET...and I found the 30% to be just fine.

Travel light and use the hotel laundries.

Enjoy! It's a beautiful country filled with friendly people
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Things we're learning: this time in Panama we took a "special" ATM card. Our regular one never worked in Costa Rica and never worked in Paris (at least to withdraw cash). Always worked in Mexico though . . . Never able to figure out why. This time our credit union told us that the machines in many international places were not able to read the strip on our regular cards. They offered us a special ATM card (no charge or anything) to be used solely for the trip. At last we had some kind of explanation that seemed reasonable. We got the special card and it worked fine in Panama this go round.

Packing light. On our first trip to CR we packed under 25 lbs in order to meet the requirement for Sansa flight to Osa. We appreciated traveling with less luggage. On our second trip to CR we went with more luggage and came back with none at all - black humor about the ease of traveling with NO luggage (all stolen in Cartago, but aren't we all tired of that story?). So this trip to Panama we had a similar 25 lb limit for domestic travel within Panama. So I just want to tout the great $59 bag I bought on ebags.com. It's a convertible carryon. Packed a ton of stuff in there but still less than 25 lbs. It's a nice soft side bag with lots of compartments. And in those small planes and airports it was great to carry on and quickly off. Also great not to have to check luggage with the big boys. What WASN'T great was to carry it and my healthy back bag the 4 miles from gate to customs in Miami and the 4 miles BACK from customs to the same plane!!! ARRGGGHHHH. All the while running to make connection. Live and learn - allow 2 hours for Miami connection (to SAME PLANE). Or fly out of Dulles so customs can be accomplished on DC end (no Customs at Reagan/National).

Each trip provides a new piece of valuable experience doesn't it?
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:46 PM

missypie, I wish I'd known I would fall hopelessly and eternally in love with the verdant green and primordial Monteverde Cloud Forest, as I wish I had taken it home with me. I miss it and plan to return one day. Do you think I can grow a cloud forest in my back yard at home?

I wish I had known I would find the Manual Antonio National Park too impacted by man...I would have skipped it and spent the time elsewhere. Or maybe I would have done Manuel Antonio first, so I wouldn't have anything to compare it to. I wish I had found a hotel on a lovely private beach instead of bothering to go to Manuel Antonio, which in general was too touristy for us, although I confess I loved the Hotel Si Como No, it is a fun place and feels Costa Rican.

I wish I had known that zip-off pants can get the zippers ruined in the wash, which happened to mine. Be careful how you put them in the washer and dryer. My zippers broke permanently! Now I have shorts with legs that won't zip back on...I'm not sure how I could have protected them better. Maybe it would have been better to have the legs zipped all the way on...I think I threw the shorts and the unzipped legs into the wash, separately, or else they were half-zipped.

We didn't get very many mosquito bites, but for the ones we had, there's a rub-on stick sold at sporting good stores which you rub on a bite immediately after you get bitten...it mostly prevents them from itching when used right away. We had one stick, but wished we had one for each person!

Have a great trip, missypie. I think you are well-prepared.

I wish I had known that roads aren't well-marked, so you should try to get a good map, and you will need to get directions from somebody at the hotel who speaks very good English, which might be the owner or manager. More than once we had trouble finding a poorly marked road. But in general we got around fine, just sometimes took the long way. It helps to know some places or land-marks along your route, so if the road isn't marked, you will know what to look for up ahead of you.

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM
dhuszai

glover -- can you tell me exactly which carry on you bought. I visited the site you marked, but there are so many there, and my limit is going to be 25 pounds as well. Thanks.

diane

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Diane, it's the ebags Weekender Convertible for $53.99 ($5 LESS than I paid last month!) http://www.ebags.com/ebags/weekender...?modelid=15026
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:25 PM
byr

glover: you are usually allowed two pieces of carry-on luggage, a small luggage on wheels and a hand carry. My son usually carries his back-back and a carry-on luggage on wheels. My question is: can the Weekender substitute for his back pack so that he can still bring his suitcase on wheels with him in the cabin. thanks.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Several of the flights we've been on in the last year we've seen people forced to check bags they thought they could carry on because they basically had 2 carry-ons instead of 1 carry-on and 1 "personal item" like a daypack, camera bag, purse, or laptop. Your son might not get away with both.

Glover's bag looks like a good choice for my in-laws who are taking a first-ever-out-of-North America trip to Spain and France this spring - thanks for sharing the link. Great price and I like the organizer section. Though I prefer a pack with a hip belt, I don't think they'll be shouldering the bag often enough to care.

Personally, I don't like my small bags to have wheels. They're great for airports if you don't mind the noise, but I like to get away from airports and paved sidewalks as fast as I can and don't like to carry the extra weight of the wheel mechanisms or lose the packing space. My bag (with detachable daypack) weighed a little over 15 pounds on my last trip.

I have never been to CR so maybe I shouldn't be contributing to this thread, but I think PACKING LIGHT is the thing I've learned that has contributed the most to fabulous trips to CA in recent years. As Rick Steves says, you never hear experienced travelers say how they pack more and more on each trip.

Here are 2 websites with tips on packing light:

http://ricksteves.com/plan/tips/tips_menu.htm
http://www.onebag.com/home.html

plus a link to my packing list which is #15 on FAQ thread here:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...mp;STARTPAGE=1

Happy trails...
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:36 PM

Yeah, I'd have to agree with hopefulist that if you consider your son's rollaboard the "carry on," ain't no way the weekender (even if hoisted on back) could qualify as the personal item - unless they were being lax. .. Cause the weekender is pretty much the max carryon dimensions I believe.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:51 AM

Costa Rican men are beautiful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -