What are the best road maps and travel guides for Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving for Costa Rica in a few weeks w/ my family. Arriving in San Jose then driving to Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio. What are the best road maps and guide books to purchase? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:11 AM

I bought the National Geographic map, which is supposed to be one of the best. The problem is that the map gives actual highway numbers, which are by and large missing from the actual highways. (Even entering the Pam-American Highway from San Ramon there was no identifying sign.) On whatever map you buy, highlight or circle the towns on the way...the road signs point toward towns, not highway markers.

For getting from San Jose to Arenal, go to the Lost Iguana Hotel's web site and print out their driving directions - it doesn't matter if you are staying there. They are easy to follow into La Fortuna and include a shortcut that really works.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi missypie, we are staying at Lost Iguana Resort so those directions are great - thank you so much for your help.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Missypie, what did you think of Lost Iguana Resort??? I am staying there w/ hubby & 2 teenage sons - also staying at Buena Vista Villas which is party of Tulemar Bungalows in Manuel Antonio
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:39 AM

The Lost Iguana is beautiful. We really enjoyed it. HOWEVER: We had a car. If I had had to trek up and down the steep hills every time I wanted to go to breakfast or the pool, I would not have been so fond of it. As it was, we loved it.

I think you'll enjoy the villas in MA. I think they are pretty far away from the Tulemar Bungalows construction.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:54 AM

Berndtson & Bernddtson makes a good easy to read laminated map. We purchased ours in CR, but Barnes & Noble also carries it.

As to guidebooks - well everyone has their own personal favorite. I own 4 different ones for CR alone! Guidebook addicted! Lonely Planet still is my favorite for information. I suggest to every traveler to purchase a good guidebook in the early stages of planning. Either go to your library or to a bookstore, browse through them all and find the one that suits you personally. And yes I also like my Fodor's book!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:28 PM

We also recently purchased the National Geographic map for CR and found it to be much more useful than all our other maps. In terms of a reliable guide book, I would suggest Christopher Baker's Handbook to Costa Rica. It is a comprehensive review of just about everything we have ever wanted to see or do in CR. We also like the Lonely Planet book, but find the Fodor superficial. Sorry, Fodor!
Carol
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:13 PM

International Travel Maps
Mapas Internacionales de Viaje
ITMB Publishing
530 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC, Canada, V5Z 1E9
Phone (604)879-3621-Fax (604)879-4521
http://www.itmb.com

These maps come highly recommended
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

missypie and carroll, is the map that your purchased from National Geographic called "The Costa Rica Adventure Map"? Just want to make sure that I am ordering the correct one - thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:47 AM

janiekins:
Yes, our Geographic map is titled "Adventure Map". It is made of a thicker, more durable material than most paper maps. It is also larger, but can be folded pretty easily.
Carol