Search

backpacking in peru

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:02 PM
crazeepixee

backpacking in peru

I want to backpack in Peru in February. I want to stay at a jungle lodge near Iquitos, visit Manchu Pichu (by train - no hike) and hit a beach on the south coast on the way back to Lima for the flight out. That is the bear bones of my trip so far. I know my flight will arrive at 6:30am in Lima. I also want to stay in hostels along the way.
This is my first backpacking trip and I am not one to just arrive and fly by the seat of my pants. I think I'd rather have all hostels and exursions booked ahead of time unless it's cheaper to book when I'm there.
My questions
1. I really want to stay at the Tahuayo Lodge, but not for the reccommended 8 days, maybe 5d/4n. I read in a travel guide to wait until Iquitos to book jungle tours and they can be half the price as booking on line. Does anyone know if I can book Tahuayo from Iquitos, is it cheaper, and should I take chances? I would be ok taking the chance, losing out and going to another lodge.
2. If I fly in to Lima at 6:30am should I try to fly to Iquitos on the 7:50 plane I'm not really interested in staying in the big city. Can I just buy tickets to Iquitos at the airport or should I book that flight in advance? If I book in advance and miss my flight would they honor it for another flight?
3. Ok, another question on Manchu Pichu. It has been recommended to stay in the Sacred Valley to acclimatize. I want to stay in Ollantaytambo. Do you fly to Cusco then bus to town in one day? I'm thinking day 1 arrive in Cusco bus(?) to Ollantaytambo and stay overnight. Day 2 afternoon train to Aguas Calientes spend the night. Day 3 tour Manchu Pichu and spend another night at Aguas Calientes. Day 4 tour a bit more and head back to Cusco. So... does this sound like a good itinerary for Manch Pichu keeping in mind we may need time to get used to altitude? Should I add a day in Ollantaytambo
4. Can you suggest a town to stop at for a couple of nights after somewhere on the pacific coast. I love the ocean and beaches, but am not a surfer. I am hoping it would be reacheable by bus, stay two nights then bus or fly back up to Lima to fly home.
5. Should I just go to a travel agent or can I do all this on my own?

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try the Thorn Tree Forum on www.lonely planet.com - you might find it more helpful. The type of questions you've asked come up regularly on that site.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
crazeepixee

Thanks, I've read up to 150 from here and have gone through at least one page from lonely planet. Thanks for the direction.

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2. I think 1 hour 20 minutes is too tight of a connection in Lima. You'll have to wait for your baggage and clear customs, and then check in for your next flight. Even without checked baggage, this seems like a very tight connection since the lines for check-in for domestic flights can get long. I'd book in advance, if you can. As to whether they'd rebook you on another flight - that depends on the airline. For example, Lan Peru has different classes of tickets - some classes they will simply move you over, while other cheaper classes of tickets may not be as accomodating. Check with the airlines.

3. Exactly what are you acclimitizing for? The recommendation for acclimitization is usually for those who are doing the Inca Trail. As it is, it doesn't look like you're doing anything strenuous, so I don't see a need to do anything special for acclimitization. Cusco is at around 10,000 feet, and Aguas Caliente/Macchu Pichu and the Sacred Valley are actually lower than that. So, once you hit Cusco, you'll be pretty much as high as you're going to be. And, if you suffer altitude sickness upon arrival in Cusco, the descent in elevation to the Sacred Valley may not help much since it's only 1000-2000 feet or so lower.

So, I don't think the trip out to Ollantaytambo is justified solely for acclimitization. It's certainly worth a trip to see the Sacred Valley and tour the Inca Ruins there, but Cusco is a pretty cool city as well, and there's lots to see there. I'd suggest the following itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive Cusco, take afternoon City Tour; Overnight Cusco
Day 2: All Day Tour Sacred Valley; Overnight Cusco.
Day 3: Depart early morning train to Aguas Caliente, tour Machu Picchu afternoon, overnight Aguas Caliente.
Day 4: Tour Machu Picchu early morning (first bus leaves around 6:00am), depart for Cusco afternoon.

5. Given that it's very easy to set things up in Peru on your own, I wouldn't bother with a Travel Agent. Get a Lonely Planet or Rough Guides book for information. Check out the Andean Travel Web website for great information. It shouldn't be difficult to do on your own.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 04:31 PM
crazeepixee

thank you very much lifelist. I think that answers alot.