10 day Costa Rica Honeymoon in Sept/Oct '12

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in charge of planning the honeymoon for Sept/Oct (10 days) and after much debate we have settled on Costa Rica - likely between Papagayo and Tamarindo as it sounds like this will be our best luck for sun that time of year. We have never been to the Costa Rica, so I am trying to keep this trip as simple as possible - 2 hotels/ 1 region of the country.

My fiance is looking for an all-inclusive resort for at least half of the trip. We are pretty settled on the Westin in Playa Conchal for the all-inclusive portion of the trip, but I would like to hear some opinions on the area and other options for additional nights. We do not need (and I would prefer not to have) an all-inclusive resort for the second location. A few things to note:

- We will likely hire drivers or shuttles for any excursions/transfers, so it is helpful if the two places are reasonable in distance (say within 1.5 hours).
- It is fine if the second location is not directly on the coast, but preferable as my fiance is looking for a beach vacation.
- Plan to do some excusions in the area (also any suggestions are greatly appreciated).
- Prefer something a bit more upscale for our honeymoon.
- Somewhere that has some nightlife would be a bonus as I don't expect much of that at the Westin.
- Must trys for local food?? - one of my favorite pastimes both home and away.

Any suggestions or recent experiences are very much appreciated. Thanks to all!
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:45 PM

Hello my name is eric, l think you should go to two destinations Arenal is a good option there is a lovely and romantic hotel there Nayara is a great place to stay and a lot of nice activities and adventures activitiesyou have the option to go to Guanacaste by flight or driving you should go to Punta islita hotelthis just one option ahh should flight in to alajuela and flight out from Liberia another nice honeymoon hotel by the sea is latitud10 or lapa rios.
Have nice trip
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:29 PM

Nayara is gorgeous but as a long time resident of CR I also highly recommend Leaves & Lizards. Punta Islita is very nice and I know it personally however, I would recommend Cristal Azul a little further South. Islita is limited and people often feel closed off from the area. Or, keep heading South and check out Flor Blanca.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM

If you need a driver rec, Wilson Rojas is great ([email protected]). He's extremely knowledgeable, helpful and charming. He and his wife Elsy, also run a travel agency (http://www.coatitours.com/) and can offer all kinds of travel advice, arrange excursions and make recommendations.
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM

I think Arenal would be nice since you're already doing a beach portion of the trip; it's a great area with lots of adventure activities, natural hot springs, a beautiful waterfall, etc. Our favorite spots are Nayara and the Lost Iguana.
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:30 AM

Go to Cancun. I'm serious.