We are all set but the tiny details- Domincal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, thanks for being such prolific posters. You all practically planned my trip for me!

We are booking a week at Shelter From the Storm in December. We are most interested in Nature and wildlife and are relatively active but not hardcore fitness buffs. We are also 50 and 65.

First question- We are driving from San Jose and probably won't be underway until 3:30. This will put us on the last part of our trip in the dark. Will it be freakishly hard? I am a confident driver.

We are preparing to organize our day trips and have Hacienda Baru on the list. Is that a more than one day affair? We would probably do the self guided tour but figured that might be a zip lining location too. Any opinions?

We are not particularly beachy so a visit to the Whale's tail might be the extent of that.

MA sounds way too touristy. Are we selling it short?

We had thought about rafting through Rafiki Lodge. Is that too far away? Is there something closer?

Has anyone done a kayak tour at Marino Bellena?

Is the horseback tour to Naucaya Falls a must?

Any other suggestions?

Once again, you guys really are the best. Volcanogirl, Arenal is next trip!
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Shelter from the Storm is an amazing place. Donna and Darryl are the best! You will have a wonderful time there. I haven't driven that route in the dark so can't comment there. Good luck! ;-)

Hacienda Baru is not more than a day. We drove from SFTS after breakfast, hiked and enjoyed the beach, checked out the butterfly enclosure and left in time to go have a late lunch.

MA is definitely worth a day trip if you have time. The park and beaches there are gorgeous and it's good to take the guided hike if it's your only one, to help you spot all the things you might not on your own.

The horseback at Naucaya is something I'd do again. It was a lot of fun, a little scary at times (some rocky, muddy terrain in places) and the waterfall is great!

Don't miss Soda La Mancha for good local eats down the street and make a night of visiting Villa des las Aves and having a wonderful dinner at their restaurant, Chef's Table.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM

you didn't mention which route (the mountains or the coast) you were planning to take. we're staying there next month in a rental home and the homeowner just emailed us to say that the coastal route is now completely finished except the last 6km. she got to the airport in 3 hrs and 15 mins! just thought i'd throw that out there in case it helps you out!
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 04:29 AM

Excellent, SP - you know it's my favorite - lol. hip and tully are the Dominical experts, but I do think the park in MA is really gorgeous. The beach in the park is one of the prettiest I've seen. There are a lot of tourists there, but it isn't tacky, just a lot of restaurant choices, etc. Hope your trip is wonderful.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Hip, thanks for the info on the eats. It's my favorite part of vacation! We'll hit up MA and report back.

Sclubb, I believe the directions are for the coast road, as Darryl mentioned the new paving. He optimistically hopes it to be finished by the time we go. It certainly looks to be the long way around, but I assume the mountain road is treacherous?? The directions Darryl sent appear impeccable. The combination of 'foreign country, poorly marked roads, spotty cell service, and dark' against saving the 300 bucks on a driver...wait, since I just realized a driver would be both ways, therefor 300 bucks, I can handle the drive!

Volcanogirl, we really gave some thought to a two location vacation, but six days and one of them after a long travel day just seemed like too much of a rush. We are certain we will be just like you all and make return visits.