Water Shoes

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Shoes

I have seen in various posts throughout Fodor's people using "water shoes" for hikes through water. I will be going to the Galapagos and am curious if these shoes work well for the hikes that have a "wet landing". I am interested in anyone's experience with water shoes whether or not you have been to the Galapagos. How much cushion do these shoes have? Do they do well while hiking?

For those who are not familiar with the Galapagos, I've gathered from several posts that many hikes begin with a wet landing in which one must walk a short distance in ankle deep water to shore. The hikes are not very changeling and do not require a hiking boot. Some wear Teva style sandals. Others tennis shoes and remove them prior to walking through the water.

The water shoe seems ideal for this in that it gives you the cushion of a tennis shoe while not having to remove your shoes to walk through the water. However, if you do not wear socks, do these shoes cause blisters? If you wear socks, then do you need to remove the socks and shoes before getting into the water, which seems to defeat the purpose of the water shoe? What brands do you recommend?

Thanks for anyone's advice and comments!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Good question. I'm not certain if our definition of "water shoes" is the same, and I have never been to the Galapogos, however,I briefly considered watershoes for mucking through the rain and cloudforests of Costa Rica.

I bought a pair of Redington fishing sandles with closed toes at Orvis and love them, but am NOT bringing them to CR; I tried wearing them in wet, grainy conditions, and they became most uncomfortable. It was difficult to get the gunk out, and I don't want blisters. However, they are excellent for hiking and non-mucky water sports. Last weekend I wore them on a moderate hike and then wading in a lake.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:10 PM
peg

Trying to get my previous post to show up.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:10 PM
peg

I have a pair of Teva water shoes, not to be confused with my Teva sandals. I took them to the Galapagos, but did not wear them. I was going to use them for the same purpose that you are, but opted for my sandals instead. The reason being all of our wet landings were up to the beach so it was sandy, so I just kept my sandals off until I got on the beach and then put them back on, even though they were water proof.

My shoes do not have much cushion since they are made for water and have rubber soles and mesh on the top. I could have hiked in them, and not been uncomfortable, they do have a good grip on them for going over rocks, etc. Mine have never caused me blisters, but they fit very snug with the mesh tretching, so that is a plus.

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Molly and Peg!

My definition of "water shoes" is a shoe similar to a running shoe except that the top and/or sides are made of mesh instead of rubber, leather, or some other material. This mesh allows the water to easily flow out of the shoe.

Hi Peg,
I've read in some reviews and books about the Galapagos that some wet landings might have you treking over rocks and lava. Is this really the case?

My main concern is stepping on a sharp rock or something without shoes on and cutting my foot or stubbing my toe. Should this be a concern?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:35 PM

sbj0115
Eddie bauer has water shoes that I think specify your needs. Check out the website and run a search on "water shoes."
There's also water socks that you can get at sporting goods stores, but this is more for snorkeling.
HTH
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM
peg

sbj0115

Those are the exact shoes I have. You can view them on the Teva website to get an idea, but I wouldn't spend the money on Teva's if you only plan to use them this one trip, I dive so they come in handy for me.

We did hike over rocks and lava, but that was after we got off the beach area. We toured the southern islands and all of our wet lands were just off the beach in the sand. Most everyone took off their shoes and put them back on when they reached the beach.

I will e-mail Percy and have him check this post out. He may be able to help you with the Northern Islands, and if there were any wet landings there.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Hi Peg
Got your e-mail...Thanks

As I posted before, I wore a water proof Sandal called River Rapids.
I bought them at Wal*Mart for about $15 to $19.00 ( they were on sale).
I tried on the Tevas and I just could not wear them because for some reason they pinched my foot..so I was forced to take them back.

I still have my River Rapids now and really like them.
To all the Islands I visited whether it was a dry landing or a wet landing ,I did not take off my Sandals..some people did however.
The deepest water I had to step into when I got off the Panga was about2-4 inches above the ankle.
At other wet landings, they managed to get the panga right onto the wet sand of the beach and we just stepped off.

Were my sandals wet when we started the walking tour ?...Yes!, but you do not notice it or dwell on it because you are seeing so many birds and animals, that wet sandals is the last thing on your mind.
Also within an hour in the above 80 degree temperature, they dry very quickly.
Yes you will be walking over lava rack and rocky terrian.
One Island was total lava rock walking.

You walk in a small scattered group so everyone keeps up, it is a slow pace to walk ,look and see.
On many Islands you could not walk fast if you wanted to because there are inguanas everywhere and you have to look where you step!!!

On our tour there were people from age 14 to age 78.
Two ladies in their late sixties/early seventies ,had hip replacement surgery six months prior, they outpaced a lot fo the younger ones !!!

If I had to go back tomorrow ,I would take my last year's River Rapids and that is all.!
Please do not go spending a lot of money on sandals that you might only use once !!
You need a good support sandal, no doubt about that.
There were 36 of us on our Yacht and there were 36 different pairs of footwear..
No one at the end had sore feet or blisters.
Also, once you get back to the yacht from a tour ,you can switch to a lighter sandal while you are on board.

Peg had Tevas before she went to the Galapagos.
Also Peg dives and snorkels.
Also Peg has taken her sandals to belize , Thailand etc....so you see one pair of good sandals can last you a long time.

One final comment:
Walking the Islands is not a walk in the park.!!!!
There is climbing and stepping over objects , when walking over lava you are almost always looking down to see where your next step is.

But so is everyone else, you giggle , laugh,talk and walk and rest.!!

sjb0115 have a good time,will look forward to your report.

Bye for now Peg

Percy

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:08 AM
TC

I love my Chaco water shoes. Web site at: www.chacousa.com. The "Performance Sandals" are great for water and really, really comfortable for walking. Because of the unique adjustable straps, they fit any foot size and width perfectly.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:21 AM

sjb0115,
I had considered bringing my water shoes for the same reasons that you stated but chose to bring sandals instead. I think the soles would have been fine for the wet landing hikes (ours were not over difficult terrain). However, the problem with water shoes is that they tend to trap sand inside (all of our wet landings were on the beach) which is hard to dislodge, unlike sandals. I'm glad I didn't end up bringing them as I don't think I would have used them at all. For the most part, I just kept my sandals on for the wet landings.