Villa Caletas or La Punta Islita?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:19 PM
angela

Villa Caletas or La Punta Islita?

Will be in Costa Rica for a Nov. honeymoon and am looking for a romantic resort to spend the latter half of my trip. Is La Punta Islita worth the high prices? Has the construction ended at Villa Caletas? Any comments, opinions appreciated--thanks!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Ally

I've not been to Punta Islita personally, but I have a friend who lives in Costa Rica and he says it's worth the money! I won a package to Villa Caletas, but sold it to a friend who will be getting married there in Oct.
Something to consider: Punta Islita, while lovely, is somewhat isolated. There will not be any tourist around, except at the resort. The nearest town of Samara is a fairly small fishing village so not much to do there. In short, if you want less crowds around and fantastic scenery, go to Punta Islita.
Villa Caletas is also stunning and is only about 20 minutes from Jaco and an hour or so from Manuel Antonio, so if you wanted to get out for more options to try other restaurants, bars, etc., then stick with Villa Caletas! Can't go wrong with either though!

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 03:08 PM
casey

Very, very tough question. If money's the issue...neither of these is really more affordable than the other...they're both ridiculous. However, I've stayed and both and know that if I had the cash and it was my honeymoon, it's definitely worth it.

Villas Caletas is closer to San Jose, so you won't need to spend $70 each way on flights (don't try to drive to Punta Islita) and you could spend a night in Manuel Antonio, which isn't more than 2 hours from there. If you have the time, I'd suggest that you do the latter to get to see a little more of Costa Rica than your hotel room.

Regards,

Casey

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 05:22 PM
angela

Thank you for your responses. It is difficult to decide! We are also looking at some places in the Osa Penninsula/Drake Bay area, such as La Paloma or Lapa Rios. We plan to spend a couple of days inland (Central Valley, Monteverde?) and then head to the coast. It is our honeymoon, so we would like to stay somewhere special. We are interested in hiking, beaches, wildlife, rafting, good food...any additional comments on accommodations or recommended activities are welcome.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 07:00 PM
Jillian

We're going to CR in a few weeks for our Honeymoon.
We're spending 2 nights at Tabacon Springs in Arenal, 4 nights at Makanda in Manuel Antonio and 3 nights at Lapa Rios.
We will overnight at Xandari outside San Jose.
I can't Wait!!!
I'll let you know how it goes!!!

Heard Good Things about both Villa Caletas and Punta Islita!!