valpariso or vina del mar in january?

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valpariso or vina del mar in january?

we will be in santiago and would like to drive to one or the other to relax by the water for a few days. which place would you recommend?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Let me tell you that when you are in Valpariso, then you might as well be in Vina del Mar...because...

They are almost fused with each other as they stretch along the large curved beachline.

You will be hard pressed to tellwhere Valpariso ends and where Vina del Mar begins.
I was there 3 months ago.

Have a good time

Percy

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Hi bodhijack!
Viña del Mar and Valparaiso are one hour ride from Santiago and are next to each other... so you won't have to make a choice.

Both cities are very touristic and January is high season for us (I live in Santiago), so you should consider to make reservations in advance. Viña del Mar is a very popular beach in Chile and might be full of Argentinians and Chileans for January.

If you go to Valparaiso (World Heritage Site by UNESCO) I would recommend you to visit "La Sebastiana", one of Neruda's three houses, it's very interesting and it's localted on the top of a hill with a beautiful bay view.

Also you shouldn't miss the elevators, kind of funiculars that go up and down on Valparaíso`s hills. There are fifteen elevators operating, taking the inhabitants of the city to their neighborhoods. All elevators have an extense path and a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM

I agree... going to one is almost the same as going to the other as they are right next to each other. That being said, you should stay in Vina if you are looking for seaside relaxation. Valpraiso is a larger and more industrial city... Vina is more of a "vacation" location.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

thank you, all! hello again helenoftroy. looks like we'll "do" vina. any easy access to the mountains from santiago? any suggestions for other scenic day-trips or overnights (with a car)?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:23 PM

I second the recommendation on Pablo Neruda's house. I loved it. You can stop by the Veramonte vineyard on the way from Santiago.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:13 AM

Hello bodhijack:

We visited Chile/Argentina and our local agent in Bs. As. suggested Vina del Mar when we mentioned Valpariso.

We had a day tour out of Santiago to Valpariso but stayed in Vina del Mar for several nights at San Martin hotel.

This hotel was rated lower [number of stars] than I would rate it. We had an ocean view and it was great. A park next door offered a pleasant walk with lots of people viewing and picture taking that I very much enjoyed.

See Valpariso but stay in Vina del Mar. Good restaurants, pleasant walks and in general very enjoyable while Valpariso was interesting but more slum and industry.

Hope you have a good one.

Woodie