tulum or isla mujeres?

Jan 11th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

tulum or isla mujeres?

i'm sure this has been posted before but its a toss up between these two for our honeymoon. we are staying at the royal hideaway in playa but can't decide if we want to do tulum before or isla after. 3 stops is too much. are the beaches on isla crowded? we don't want the crowds. i just posted something on crime in tulum - that's our main hesitation there. we are getting married in akumal.
Jan 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jan 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Hi Bambii, congrats on your wedding.

Crime in Tulum?? Haven't heard that. We go there every couple of years if not more. Never had a problem but then we use the same common sense you should use anywhere -- don't leave things in the car, especially in view. We've never had a problem.

Tulum or Isla? Hmm, I like them both. For charm and solitude we love Tulum. The beaches there are quiet compared to Isla. Don't get me wrong, Isla is quiet in a way, its all relative. Its not Miami crowded but there are always people on the beach. Still a very fun, quirky place. Lots of fun.

Have you made a search yet on these two locales? If not, I would do that and read others experiences and hopefully that will help you make your decision. There was a thread recently for places to stay in Tulum so you may check that out.

Also, check out Locogringo.com if you haven't done that yet. Lots of pictures and information there for you.

When is your trip?
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

we are heading there in may. the solitude of tulum appeals to me especially after a wedding, constant planning and all that (all good stuff of course just think peace and quiet). the royal hideaway makes me a little nervous bc of the number of rooms and more crowded beaches but everyone says get the pampering on your honeymoon! we thought tulum or isla would balance that out.
Jan 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Hands down for your honeymoon-
if you are staying in playa/party town first - go to Tulum, but make sure you stay somewhere south of Zamas for the best part of the beach.
Go to Isla another time and spend a few days or even a week exploring the whole place-it is nice, but it is also party town. Tulum is for romance.
Have a great time
Jan 13th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Iīm on Isla now, was in tulum this past September. I havenīt been on Isla for about three years, much more a party town now than it was then. Still laid back compared to Cancun, but, in all honesty, seems to be a smaller version of Playa del Carmen, at least on the surface.

Be aware that many places in Tulum donīt have much for electricity. Makes for great romance, but not so much for hair dryers and such....