Search

Tulum or Coba

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tulum or Coba

I am taking my family on a Princess Cruise next Dec. we are stopping in Cozumel. They want to see some Ruins. The ship offers shore excursion to either Tulum or Coba.
Personally i have seen all the greats the Yucatan has to offer, Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Palenque.... but I have never seen these 2 and want it to be a good experience for everyone else. We are looking for the best ruins and the fact that Tulum is in a great location doesn't really matter to us. Please share your comparisons of the 2. Thankyou.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 05:21 AM

The two are totally different from one another.

In Tulum's case, it IS mostly the location that makes it. It's also a good "starter" ruin or good for folks with easily-bored people along. You can see pretty much all of it in 2 hours, and it does not require much walking as it is compact.

The view from the bluff is amazing, and there's a gorgeous beach right below and outside the ruins. For fun and for "wow" factor, this is my choice, although some "purists" on this board sneer at Tulum ruins, I find them compelling and beautiful.

Coba is TOTALLY different. It is hidden back in the middle of the jungle, and much of it has not even been excavated. It is very spread out, and seeing most of the buildings requires quite a bit of walking. The Castillo there is huge and amazing though, and some of the stile are very well-preserved.

There's also a minor but interesting ruin - San Gervasio - on Cozumel. But then again, you could see that on your own, and Princess would not make any $$$! The thing about these ruins on Coz that I find interesting is that it is the site of the monument and pilgrimage that women made in homage to the fertility goddess Ixchel. People used to come over from the mainland in canoes. (I can't imagine THAT journey.)

Also there is a small system of underground caves where the people used to cool down and to store things that needed refrigeration. It was neat to go down there and imagine the ancient people sitting in the semi-darkness and socializing.

I would check to see how much time you spend getting to the ruins and how much time you are actually there. You may spend the entire time getting there from Coz and have only a short time at the ruins. No fun imho...
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 06:55 AM

I was going to tell you to do both - which you can in one day. But from a cruise ship in Coz, there's probably no way to do both.

Coba may be the most interesting to you since you've seen the other biggies in the area. It's easiest to get around Coba by renting a bike and cruising from site to site.

Find Coba and Tulum on this list...and see if that helps you decide.

http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/index.html

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM

I was staying on Cozumel last week and took the ferry over to Playa and rented a car to visit both of them on Friday.

Tulum and Coba are easy to do in one day. For that matter, you have to drive past Tulum to get to Coba. If you can time the ferry correctly, you can do it. More time would be nice, but if you leave Cozumel on the 9AM ferry, you should be back before 7PM. If you planed carefully and pushed, you could be back earlier.

And they nicely compliment each other, it isn't like you are doing the same thing twice.

Tulum is not just a more beautiful location, I think the ruins them self are more beautiful. Coba's site is much more rugged, there is a feeling that you might even discover something previously unknown.

Keith
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

wow. those are excellent reports.
i will print this out and present it to the other vacationers. to me it doesn't matter which we do. also, we are from miami so beaches are no concern to us. but i am sure that the view is awesome and would be appreciated.
thank you.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Keith,
How is cozumal after the hurricane. I"ll be staying in Akumal and was wondeirng if taking the Ferry out to Cozumal would be worth it. I love to snorkel (am expert) but can't dive because I've had ear surgery. So I'd go for the snorkeling...which used to be fabulous but I understand may not be after the hurricane.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 07:21 PM

My understanding is that the snorkling is significantly impacted, particulary at those places that can be reached from shore. If you go out on a boat with small group, you should still be able to have a good time.

I still saw a lot of people going out from shore.

The only diving I did during the trip was in the Atlantis submarine. I enjoyed it and thought it was a good value, but not a "must not miss" activity.

On shore, San Miguel and the area north of it looked pretty good. Going south from San Miguel, there is still a lot of work to do.

Other than the cruise ship docks, and many of the ocean side hotels south, most places are open.

The only place that I intended to go that was closed, was Punta Sur, which should open in another month.

The crowds are down and prices are more reasonable.

Keith
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Keith-
you said <<Other than the cruise ship docks, and many of the ocean side hotels south, most places are open.>>

So are the Docks not open ??
i am taking a cruise to Cozumel in December. Any clue on if they will be up by then. My friend just took one a few months ago and they diverted the cruise North.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:24 AM

The docks I saw didn't look like they will open very soon, but the cruise ships are still coming. They shuttle the passengers to shore with smaller boats.

There were 5 cruise ships sitting off shore when my flight landed last Thursday afternoon.

Keith
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:19 AM

We have been to both Tulum (several times) and Coba and enjoyed visiting both. I agree they are very different. Tulum is the only Mayan city on the coast. Coba was never found by the Spanish, so is pretty much intact.

On every cruise we have taken to this area (some years ago) the ships first stop at Playa del Carmen and those passengers wishing to go ashore are taken in tenders. The ship then proceeds to Cozumel. Passengers must take ferrys to Cozumel to return to the ship.

If that's the case now, you could disembark in Playa, rent a car (as Keith suggested) and visit both sites. Of course this all depends on the time you will have in port and the ferry schedules.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM

The ships stop in Cozumel.

One of the cruise ship piers was badly damaged, and it remains closed. (Punta Langosta.)

The other is open.

Passengers on ships anchoring offshore will tender in.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Go to Coba

Tulum is a dump of a ruin and WAY over-touristy.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Tulum is NOT a Dump of a ruin. Coba has the tall castille which I think you can climb up, but most of Coba is still a pile of stone. Tulum is very open, Coba is still enclosed in a jungle setting. If you are taking a cruise charted from the cruise lines, you'll probably be able to see both and both are worthwhile. If you have to rent a car it's a different story because it takes time to get the car in PDC and return it. If you are only in Cozumel for one day I also recommend San Gervasio in the middle of Cozumel. Rent a car on the island and go as far as you can around the Island. Choose the most convenient site for you time wise because there is something special about all three.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Hertz and (I think) Budget have offices right next to the ferry dock. If you sign up for Hertz #1 Club, you be out of town very quickly.

Returning rental cars at these small offices takes 2-3 minutes.

Keith
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Paleque is heaven

Uxmal is near-heaven

Tulum is a post-Classic dumpola.

Once you have seen the first two, Tulum will come in to focus.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Poppa, you and I have had this conversation before - I thought you were going to "play nice."

Just because Tulum is not (in your opinion) as important a site as Palenque or Uxmal does not a "dump" make it.

I would think it would be better to encourage someone who may not have the time or wherewithal to visit the other ruins to see Tulum so as to maybe awaken in them an interest in returning to do so as opposed to giving them the impression of Tulum being a waste of time.

Perhaps you could phrase your impressions of the ruins at Tulum just a bit more diplomatically?

Many people - myself included - who have also seen the more comprehensive and well-known ruins found Tulum to be very beautiful and far from a dump.

I understand you did not like it, and I respect your opinion on that, as you have every right to it, but maybe explain WHY you did not enjoy it as opposed to just labeling it a "dumpola. " (Kind of funny btw, that term. )
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Post-Classic usually means "built-in-haste," generally as a rude fortification rather than an extended and developed cermonial center.

Tulum is unlucky in that it's a bus ride away from the "Riviera" and a perfect spot to slam a few thousand people in to each day.

To be sure, the siting is nice but what is one tourist's "gorgeous view" is probably a Maya architect's device for spotting invaders before they got too close.

I wish I could go along with the "developing a taste for more" theories but I wonder if I trust that. Stumbling around shabby little Tulum and then elbowing my way through
t-shirt stands might put me off Maya ruins altogether.

Oh, yes, in addition to Coba there is jow Ek Balam just north of Valladolid.
Pretty, pretty little site and lots of tours now go there, too, but it still isn't swamped with suburned babes from Parsipanny.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM

Not related to your choice of ruins, but be aware that the time on Cozumel is 1 hour earlier than ship time. We bought ferry tickets and couldn't figure out why no one was getting on board. We were an hour early!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM

Be careful as I mentioned about time and the car rentals. YES the offices of Dollar and Hertz are right by the ferry, HOWEVER, you have to wait for a person from their company to come and get you and drive you to the highway where the cars are kept. THEN you wait and sign paperwork. I just did this last September. It took them 40 minutes to get us to the car and off the lot. I suppose sometimes they may be faster, but remember "it's Mexico time."
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:17 PM

Tulum may not be important historically, but for me its up there with the Bavarian Alps in terms of beauty....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -