Notices

Trip to Quepos & Montezuma???

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 01:13 PM
John & Stacy

Trip to Quepos & Montezuma???

We will be traveling to CR for the 1st time in March for 2 weeks. We are looking at going to Quepos for about 4days then bus and ferry to Montezuma for 7 days then 3days at ????? before returning to San Jose. What do any of you think about this itinery? We won't be driving either. Sound good for the 1st time? Thanks for your input.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:20 PM
David Cook

Sounds good! I would add the Arenal area on the end before going back to SJ. Check out the volcano, hot springs, and waterfall; the centrally located town of Fortuna has budget hotels while several high-end resorts dot the area. From Montezuma probably take a bus to Puntarenas, then Fortuna. Allow plenty of time for busses, they're slower, but it's a neat way to go, you really get to know the people. Some Spanish helps, but if you don't know a lot, you will by the end of the trip!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Scott

I live in Manuel Antonio (Quepos) right now and have been to Montezuma and think that you are picking two of the best places to visit. I agree with the previous poster about gong to Arenal (or Monteverde) for your last few days.

Scott
Hotel California

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:49 PM
John & Stacy

Thank you David ans Scott for your replies. Since youre from Manuel Antonio, Scott, what do you think of the La Colina Hotel? We have heard good things about it and are considering staying there. Sounds loke a nice place for the value. How does it compare with the Hotel California? Also, any suggestions for accomadations while in Montezuma? Thanks for your help.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Terri

John & Stacy: Sounds like a good plan, but 7 days in Montezuma, in my humble opinion, is too much. We were there 3 nights this past June and while we loved the area, we had no desire to extend our stay beyond 3 nights. Granted, in March it will be much more lively. We stayed at the Amor de Mar (www.amordemar.com) and absolutely loved it. It's 1 km just south of town -- easy walking distance.

We actually went to Montezuma first and then Quepos. We caught a boat taxi from Montezuma to just north of Jaco, then flagged down a shuttle bus to Quepos. It was more expensive than the bus ($35 for the boat and $10 for the shuttle versus less than $10 for the ferry and bus), but it was really fun and it took less than 3 hours. I'm not sure you can do it in the reverse. In any event, the ferry ride to Paquera was wonderful too.

Like you, we did not rent a car. Instead, we traveled by public bus, shuttle bus, taxi, boat taxi, and ferry. It was easy, cheap and a wonderful way to experience Tico life up close. You won't be sorry! Just be sure to keep a close eye on your bags. We had absolutely no problems.

Have you checked out Villas Nicolas in Manuel Antonio? We loved our condo there. It had a wonderful ocean and jungle view balcony. It also had a full kitchen which was really nice for a change and saved us some bucks on restaurant meals. Their website is www.villasnicolas.com.

Have a wonderful trip! I'm going back in May and I can't wait.