Trip Report - Nicuesa Lodge / Golfito

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report - Nicuesa Lodge / Golfito

I just took a yoga group to CR for a week, and the highlight of the trip was our time at Nicuesa Lodge. I've been there before but this was the first time bringing a group. It's a wonderful location -- very private and secluded. You have to fly to Golfito or Puerto Jimenez and take a boat to the lodge. There are no roads, no cars, but everything is right there. Beach out front and jungle all around. The rooms are nice -- natural hardwoods -- not rough and worn down like some you see -- and there's lots of open air flowing in and the showers are open air also. The food is delicious -- some of the best I've ever had. They catch the fish out front and go cook it. We even had sushi right after it was caught.

There's kayaking and lots of good hiking on the property, and the owners and staff are very gracious and helpful. There's wildlife galore because it's so quiet there -- no big crowds ever. (There are only 8 rooms.) Toucans, troops of white face & spider monkeys, scarlet macaws, pecarries, lizards, owls -- you name it, we saw it right on the property. They have solar electricity, very good water, and a candlelit dining room. It's a really special place and my group loved every minute of it. It's a natural, jungle place, so if you go you have to know that it's not the Four Seasons and you might find an anole or spider in your room and you'll be having a natural experience. But of all the natural places I've been to, this is the best.

I also have to say that Swiss Travel did a fantastic job as our tour operator. The level of service they provide is truly remarkable. The guides and drivers are great, the buses clean and in good condition, they had a secure place to stow our excess luggage for our Nature Air flights, and when I lost my passport they had people all over it until they found it. They even have people to call and warn the driver about washed out bridges so he can take another route. They always amaze me and I highly recommend them.

Sandy
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the report on Nicuesa. I have reservations for the first week in May. So any ideas on how hot and miserable I am going to be? I stayed at a similar type of place in Belize a couple of years ago (same time of year) and was fine....but I have a feeling I'm going to roast at Nicuesa. Do the fans in the rooms really help? I have had mixed experiences in the past.

Anything else that I should know about Nicuesa? I'm glad to hear that the staff and food were great.

Also we are going to tack on a couple (3-4) extra nights to our trip. I was planning on staying elsewhere after Nicuesa but with flights, it seems like it would be easier to do so before hand. Any suggestions?

thanks----and I'm glad you had a great time!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi Lost,

It's hot there, but I was not miserable at all. When you first get there it hits you, but there's lots of shade around and you acclimate quickly. It's very comfortable in the lodge and in the rooms. It's not nearly as hot as it gets in Guanacaste. At night I even turned off my fan and asked for an extra blanket (they thought I was crazy, but...)

You can only bring 30lbs of luggage on the flights (Nature Air anyway), so pack light. You can wash out your clothes and dry them on the beach. Definitely bring Keens or Tevas or some type of water shoe that stays on your feet, because there are rocks in the water. Nice sandy beach, but then rocks when you step in. They do a waterfall hike too where you'll need to change to water shoes. They have water shoes if you forget, but wearing other people's shoes can be kind of icky. For hiking, you definitely need hiking boots. The loop trail is steep and slick and you need traction and ankle support.

Depending on your package, the use of the guides may or may not be included. You really need them for some of the hikes and they are so knowledgeable about the birds that it's nice to have them. Carlos and Steve were there and both were great guides. They suggest leaving a $10-$20 a day tip to be split among the whole staff. They'll take good care of you.

The next time I go to Nicuesa, I'm going to go to Xandari afterward. It will be a perfect treat for after--getting cleaned up after the jungle-- but I don't know about before. For before there are lots of hotels that I like: Rio Perlas in Orosi or Villa Blanca in San Ramone come to mind. From Rio Perlas you can visit Tapanti Rainforest and the Irazu volcano, and from San Ramone you can do all the exciting canopy/canyoning tours in San Lorenzo or visit Arenal. Both are also nice places just to hang out. Rio Perlas has a nice hot spring pool and both have good spas.

Have fun, and at Nicuesa tell Mike & Donna & Carlos that Sandy said "HI."

Sandy
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Sandy,
Thanks for the report. Is this an acceptable place for "kids"? We have daughters 15 & 12 and are thinking about CR for Spring-break. I was in CR 18 years ago. I've read on just how much it has changed w/ tourism now. That is fine but I'd like for them to experience a more remote feel also.
TIA,
Pete
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi Pete,

I think my 16-yr. old would love it. If they like animals, kayaking, snorkeling (not the best view), hiking, fishing, swimming, etc., they won't get bored. There's no night life except whatever you make, but we all found ourselves exhausted and ready for bed early because we were so busy during the day. It's a really cool place. You can stand still and see macaws, toucans, etc. Star-gazing is amazing here. Our guide brought a scope and we could see every crater on the moon and the rings around Saturn. The staff tries really hard to make sure everyone has a good time. They can be as busy as they want to be or just chill out in a hammock.

Sandy
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the reply and ideas on other places to stay. One more question. How much do drinks cost at Nicuesa?

Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi Lost,

I had two rum and cokes and a fancy special of the day drink during my stay and the bill came to $11. I have no idea what beer costs. The juices and coffee served w/ meals is included.

Sandy
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Well Sandy, another report on a lodge that isn't mentioned often.! Nicuesa is many times asked about, but simply does not get much mention here.

Again thanks for the great detail and info on this location.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Another great little hideaway from you. Getting harder and harder to find them in Costa Rica.

Great report thanks!
Sue
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

I know -- I almost hate to tell anyone about it!!

Sandy