Search

Trip Report, Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report, Buenos Aires

I am posting a report to thank all those on Fodor's who helped us plan our trip to Buenos Aires and perhaps give ideas to others. I would like to especially thank drdawggy.

We booked everything but our oversees flight through Cintia at WowArgentina.
www.wowargentina.com.ar which made our trip delightful.
Day 1 Matias, (Cintia's husband and a driver met us at the airport with our name typed and took us on a four hour tour ending at our hotel. During our tour, we were given a 15 page spirol notebook with specific information about BA and a cell number to call in case we needed anything. My husband asked about the Yacht Club and Matias faxed us this additional information the first day. We enjoyed meeting Matias who spoke English fluently and was very organize. We stayed at the LoiSuites in the Recolata area. Our room looked out at the cemetary and included a small refrigerator, a marble bathroom was ok sized. We had a great dinner at Sirop.

Day 2
We left our luggage at the hotel and flew to the Iguazzu Falls with just an overnight bag. We took a taxi to the Sheraton. Our room overlooked the Falls. The hotel is just so so. We requested to stay there because we were only there one night. Not so clean and not so friendly. Pool small and not inviting. Location great. We were going to have dinner there but decided to take a taxi to the Iguazu Hotel and Gambling Resort. The driver waited for us and we had a marvelous dinner in a beautiful hotel. Our table looked out at a multi-tiered pool with spectacular lighting. The casina was small but ok. We are not gamblers anyway. Even though this hotel was about 20-25 minutes away, I would stay there next time.
We walked many of the paths, took the tram to the path that has a spectaculaar view of the falls. We did not have time for the boat or safari ride because the airlines changed our flight time the following day. We were called and informed of the change whcih I credit Cintia.

Day 3:
Flew back to BA and checked in again at the same hotel. Breakfast was good. Toured all day and went to the Alvear Palace for dinner. Excellent food in a very beautiful hotel a couple blocks from our location.

Day 4:
Went to Florida street and shopped at Silia Y Mario for Tailor made leather coats. On the side street by the Marriott Plaza at the start of the Florida street. (A friend had recommended this store. I do not know of others but we had a very good experience with quality and goods. My husband and I purchased four jackets which were ready in two days.

Day 5
Touring, checked on our coats to be sure everything was communicated correctly. A good idea. Taxis were easy and inexpensive. Tango show arranged through wowargintina. We choice to do this touristy show and were glad we did. We were picked up in a clean nice van and seated with others in our group. The show was fun and the dinner included wine, and good not great food.

Day 6 Tour, market day. My husband liked the market but I rested a bit. Dinner and walking in the Puerto Madero area.

Day 7
Lunch at Lola's outdoor restaurant. A three course lunch with mostly people from BA. Very good and like all dining very reasonably priced.
Taxi to the airport. We left at 5 for a 10:00 PM flight and were glad we did. There was a protest that night and the demontrators blocked up the city. Peaceful but inconvenient. We just made our flight.

We had a wonderful trip and highly recommend Cintia. We enjoyed the falls very much and were very glad others on this sight convinced us to go. We loved the nightlife in BA. Everyone was very friendly to us. The tango show was great. There are many in BA and we truly enjoyed the professonal show and dinner.

Thanks again for all of the advice. We had a memorable trip that was so easy with the help of Cintia via email.

Ideas we learned that were helpful.
1. Write done were you want to go to show the taxi drivers. Much easier to communicate.

2. Tipping is different than in the US. Dont overtip.

3. Don't wear jewelry. We had no problems but we also did not invite problems. We kept our money secured did not wear any jewelry beyon earring and simple wedding bands.

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the great report I will be in B.A. in 2 weeks. What did you learn about the Yacht Club? Which tango show did you see? Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

I believe the name of the tango show was Senior Tango. Wowargentina arranged it for us but I believe your hotel can do the same. There were two clubs listed on the fax.
Yacht Club Argentino
Viamonte and Rio de las Plata(River). Peurto Madero
Phone 4314-0505
I believe it was a Sunday when we attempted to visit. It was closed. You do need a yacht club membership card from any other club to enter.

Club Nautico Olives
Juan Bautista Olivos
Juan Bautista Alberdi and Rio do la Plata. Olovos Port
Phone: 4799-9553 This club is way from downtown. It isn't difficult to get there but the best way is by taxi. We did visit this club.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

We did not go to the second club. Sorry for the typing error.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Very useful trip report! I also used Cintia and Matthias at Wowargentina.com on my first trip to Argentina and they are now helping me plan another trip. This time I want to visit Calafete, Ushuaia, the lake district and the wine country. They are extremely knowledgeable and honest and it is a delight to work with them. Can anybody recommend a similar travel agency in Peru? I plan to travel to Macchu Picchu next winter. Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 03:14 PM

We are going to be in BA in two weeks, and I'm interested in getting a leather jacket. Can I ask how much you paid for your jackets? Were you pleased with the quality?
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 04:16 PM

I don't know about Leah6, but I paid $150 for my tailored leather jacket at Silvia Y Mario's in Nov. of 2003.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

The price of the jackets depends on the leather. My husband and I purchased four jackets, a briefcase, and a belt for approximately 1100. We are very pleased with the quality. We placed our order, went back the next day and checked in on our order which was a good thing. Our order was ready the next day.