Traveling in costa rica

Mar 14th, 2001, 03:05 AM
cathy

Traveling in costa rica

My husband and I will be going to costa rica the first week in May. We are looking to travel from San Jose to La Fortuna and stay at the Tabacon Resort for 3 days and then travel to the North pacific coast for 5 days and then return to San Jose.

What is the best way to get to these places and the cost of transportation

Also does anyone know how the Tabacon resort is. And what are some good hotels to stay at in the Tamarindo area-

thank you for any input.

cathy

Mar 14th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Iza

Cathy,
you can either rent a car and drive from San Jose to Arenal (I believe it is about 3 hours) and then on to Tamarindo (another 4 hours or so) or you can fly to both destinations from San Jose which may make more sense if you are not comfortable drving in CR. Internal flights are not expensive and both Travelair and Sansa have flights to both destinations. The flight from San Jose to Tamarindo was about $140 round trip last year. Car rental will run about $50-60 per day for a small 4x4.
We spent 6 days in Tamarindo in August of last year and stayed at two hotels there: Capitan Suizo which was excellent (nice room, excellent service, right on the beach, beautiful pool, beatiful gardens; it is on a quiet part of the beach; no nightlife though, you would have to go to town for that which is about a 15 minute walk along the beach) and Jardin del Eden which was just OK (it is not directly on the beach, and although the beach and the center of town are just a short walk away, the part of the beach that is close to the hotel is not that pretty and full of surfers).
I would highly recommend you look into staying at Capitan Suizo. We are planning another trip to CR this summer and will definitely stay at Capitan Suizo again. We are also looking into the Arenal area - we did not make it there last year. I have read very mixed reports about the Tabacon resort. We are thinking about staying at either Arenal Observatory Lodge or Montana de Fuego. And by the way, we are thinking about renting a car in San Jose and driving first to La Fortuna and then on to Tamarindo. We did some driving last year and feel fairly comfortable doing it. Just remember not to drive after dark (it gets dark around 6pm year round in CR).
Please feel free to post a reply or e-mail me if you have additional questions about Tamarindo.
Have a great trip.

Mar 18th, 2001, 02:11 PM
David

Look at: www.tamarindo.com. The authors of "The New Key to Costa Rica" wrote, "Our favorite places in Tamarindo are near the end of the road Sueno del Mar ... Villa Alegre. Both carry the triple digit price tag. La Casa Sueca is between them and Capitan Suizo, but only double digit price tag.

Jul 20th, 2001, 08:23 AM
sandy schaub

hi-we stayed at the hotel pasatiempo in march- $65.00 a night and we loved it- 5 minute walk to beach room is small, but had patio-we never spent time in room anyway-nive pool, bar and people very friendly-caption suizo is nice too-we loved the beach in tamarindo- let me know how you liked it thanks sandy

Jul 20th, 2001, 10:25 AM
lisa

Tabacon Resort is nothing special in my opinion. The hot springs are nice, but the hotel itself is very generic and without character, like any random Holiday Inn. The room was clean, but it was just nothing special. It was the only place we stayed in Costa Rica where we were disappointed. The staff at the front desk was brusque. I would go to the hot springs but stay somewhere else; it just wasn't worth the money. We liked Arenal Lodge. At least it had some character and charm. It is not that close to the hot springs though.