Tipping customs in Cancun

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Cheryl

Tipping customs in Cancun

Are the tipping customs in Cancun similar to the US? For example 15% at restaurants, $1-2 per bab for help with baggage, $1 for assistance hailing a cab? Thanks.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Dori

I was just recently there. I always tip the same as I do in the states.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Nancy

I agree with Dori. We travel to Mexico frequently, and we tip the same as in the States.
Some places add service charges on at the restaurants (which the help do not get we've been told), so keep that in mind also.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Be Generous

I would agree with the amounts and percentages given, but if you're given good service (the best I've ever received have been in Mexico), don't hesitate to give more than 15%. Be aware that in most restaurants, waiters are paid $3-5 per 8-10 hour shift and the rest of their wages are the tips. BUT, the tips are all pooled for the whole restaurant and then the total is divided up into certain percentages for all the workers, the maitre'd, waiter, asst. waiter, busboy, kitchen workers, cashier and whoever else is in their employ all receive only a percentage of the total tips. So that $5 you've tipped your waiter is going to be divided among several people. And if you've used a credit card, the employees often don't receive their portion of the tip until the next day or the end of the week.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Deo

Resorts tip the same as here. If you get off the tourist track where there are only locals they tip 10% or less. Of course, its cheap so why not tip well anyway.