Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Tickets have been bought..........Costa Rica it is (again!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after much deliberating, finally decided to go back to CR. The airfare is low right now it's hard to argue with any place else (that I want to go to!)

So here's my (loose) schedule....Any comments, suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

05/17 Tues Arrive SJO 10:33am on AA, Interbus @ 1pm to Arenal. Stay at Arenal Paraiso, superior room.

05/18 & 05/19 Wed & Thur Activities like horseback ride to Arenal, canopy tour, hanging bridges

05/20 Fri Jeep/Boat/Jeep transfer to Monteverde in the am, stay at Fonda Vela in Jr suite, maybe squeeze in Santa Elena tour in

05/21 & 05/22 Sat & Sun Activities like Monteverde tour, another canopy (?), hanging bridges

05/23 Mon Interbus transfer to Manuel Antonio, probably stay at Costa Verde again, maybe head to the park in the afternoon if I have time

05/24-27 Tues-Fri Activities like Damas tour, maybe another canopy tour, Nauyaca Waterfall tour

05/28 Sat Early am flight from Quepos back to SJO, then AA flight back to the real world.

Sound workable? No hotels or transfers reserved yet, so I'm flexible.

Anyone know of a place to go canyoning? Looks really interesting.

Also, I'm a soda addict. The Paraiso & Fonda Vela rooms say they have mini-fridges (correct?), so I'm sure there is a mini-mart or the like a taxi ride away I can grab my caffeine fix?

Mucho gracias!

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Sounds like a great trip. There are grocery stores in the Fortuna area to buy your sodas. Yes, the Paraiso does have little mini fridges.

In Santa Elena there is a very good grocery store around the corner from the main street in town. It is across from the post office. If you are coming from Fonda Vela and hit the main street of Santa Elena take a left then a right and the grocery is right there. See monteverdeinfo.com for their map, I know they have the hotels on it and I think they also have some of the stores. The grocery also had an ATM but they took it out so the bank is the only place to get money should you need to. (I still can't fathom what those bank robbers were thinking. There are only a couple of ways to get down the mountain! Even if it had just been a robbery with no casualties they would have run into the police at the bottom I am sure).

Costa Rica does spoil a person, I know. I am sure there are many of us here that understand the "again". I just feel so comfortable there and even though I am still traveling to other places I still think of it as my place to really relax and feel at home. My husband was thinking two years till early retirement but after this trip he is now talking just a little over one more year.

With gas costs going through the roof you are lucky to find a good price on a flight to take advantage of.

Have a good trip
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Tully, we had a deluxe bungalow at Arenal Paraiso and there were no mini-fridges in the room. That was December, 2003.

It all sounds good! Don't forget your ritual upon arriving! I'm still quite fond of that image! For sure, it's the way to begin pura vida time in Costa Rica! Interbus may have to wait on you a few minutes.

Do have a wonderful time! (How could you not?!)
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 03:12 AM

Boo Hoo !!! We cant go until February , torture ..... So ..... Tully , at Anaconda , go to the round table in the corner early a.m. , and please drink in the amazing view of Punta Catedral as the mist still hangs over the jungle (and think of us ) LOL , Faith ( happy for u )
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 05:28 AM

Tully: Just a quick note to remind you that the Manuel Antonio Park is closed on Monday so you might need to adjust your schedule accordingly. I also remember your arrival in CR ritual! I hate to be the one to break bad news but Tully’s Pub is gone! I envisioned a nice cold Imperial the entire plane ride from Florida to CR last December. Even told hubby I had a neat little place to take him for our fav beer before our Sansa flight. (Then we were BOTH excited about that beer!) Your pub is now the taxi payment station. I think I stood infront of that taxi station with a bummed out look on my face and colones clutched in my hand for about one minute! Darn!

Lisa in Manuel Antonio
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:18 AM
lvk

Hi Tully,

The AP does have refrigerators in the deluxe room. They also have a little gift shop near the entrance where you can buy soda & snacks.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:35 AM

just bought tickets too- AA flight for April - $252 each.

now - where to go what to do ?? considering the carib side this time but really want to see Zancudo also-

what a rough choice
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the replies! I went a bought Moon Handbooks CR book last night (more to just have something to read...I get most of my ideas here! )

Jessie thanks for the directions & knowing the 'again' feeling. Paris is my other 'again' but with euro & airfare there...

shillmac I was going to take a pic upon arrival but then read Lisa's comments that it is gone, oh no! I may just have to cancel, LOL! That is a bummer though, I wonder why they did that.

faithie I know the table & will do so! Sometimes I got so enthralled with just sitting there I had to remind myself to get a move on!

Lisa thanks for reminder about the park, I completely forgot. "Tully's Pub", love it! Do you know why they moved it? Seemed like a nice little place & was packed with people. Sigh..

Ivk thanks for the info, that'll be convenient & save me a taxi ride on a soda run.

greenfield that's a great rate. Mine was $349 (from Tampa), which is less than I paid last year & even more direct (thru Miami). Could've gone cheaper with US Air @ $263 but had to go up thru Charlotte & it didn't arrive til 1:03, so figured $80 was worth a shorter flight & early arrival!

Funny how I've been dithering about where to go for months now and now that I've decided I'm in full planning mode!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Tully: I think the reason is the reconfiguration of the arrivals area (or maybe I should say receiving area) outside the airport. Do you remember your last visit when you were approached (in mass!) by people, drivers etc when you exited the airport? They’ve stopped that by placing a large (glass/plexiglass (?) wall on the sidewalk. (Basically, it’s located where the old taxi booth was a few months ago.) I call it the “bug hassle free zone” where you can look thru the glass, identify your driver/tour group etc., and then proceed forward without the confusion the former system created. (Standing within this glass area, you DO feel a bit like a bug in a jar!) I guess the only place for the taxi booth is the former “Tully’s Pub”. I was the recipient of SO MUCH teasing and razzing (after the Imperial build-up and all!) that after we walked over to Sansa, I left my bag w/ Harry (the razzer), left the terminal, hailed a cab. I told the driver I’d give him 1000 colones for each beer (dos por favor) if he’d fetch them for me! So waiting curbside, he returned five minutes later with four very cold tall boys of Imperial (BIG smiles all around!). Walked into the Sansa terminal, gave Harry the beers (menos one for me … always like a bit of liquid encouragement before intracountry flights) and I said “ENOUGH ALREADY!” No one can say I don’t live up to a promise!

Lisa
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Lisa that is a great story. Taking the downside & turning it into an upside!

I don't know if I could handle a beer before the flight myself tho'. That first flight I took to Quepos I was muttering to myself, had a cold sweat & was gripping my grandmother's rosary so hard it left impressions on my hand!

Btw, I found a nice website on Monteverde Cloud Forest www.cct.or.cr