Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

the wondrous yerba mate in BA & elsewhere...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The local "natural" "drugstore" sent out an email on Summer Drinks, which included yerba mate. That got me thinking about my upcoming trip to Argentina in September...

I'm a (black) tea drinker; don't drink coffee. I've never had mate, but would like to try it. I've heard it's extremely caffeinated, and am wondering if it's a lot stronger than black tea?

The store email mentions that mate is from " a small tree native to the subtropical Atlantic forests." Will I get to see this tree? I'll be on Peninsula Valdes and the Iguazu Falls area, as well as BA (and Ushuaia and El Calafate, but don't think they could be termed "subtropical Atlantic forests&quot--does it grow in those areas?

Still from that email, I read that mate has a bunch of health benefits, including mental clarity (always useful!), fatigue reduction, allergy relief, and prevention of bad breath. Sounding more and more like a must try!

Where would you recommend for my first taste of mate? Do you have a preferred tea shop?

Where do all you mate drinkers go for your fix?

Cindy
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:35 PM

I hate mate, Cindy, but that's neither here nor there. Besides, I also hate tea. LOL!!!

I guess there should be mate trees in Iguazú.

Mate is normally sipped from a sort of gourd also called "mate" and a sort of metal straw called "bombilla", which also acts as a filter.

Most Argentines who drink mate most likely do so at home or among friends. The "mate" is passed from one person to another and everyone uses the same "bombilla".

Are you still sure you want to try it, Cindy? LOL!!!

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM

Mate is definitely an acquired taste. We have dear friends in Lujan, Argentina. She just has to have her fix every afternoon. I enjoy the ritual of passing the mate around (whats a little spit between friends) more so than the actual taste but do enjoy an occassional sip back in the states. I have several mate gourds and bombillas but only one that is seasoned and usable. Hmmm that mental clarity benefit could be a help next time I find myself experiencing a senior moment like I am now. I have a great little book that tells the history of the mate and describes the different styles of gourds used in different areas but I don't remember where it is LOL. Maybe wikipedia would have the info you are looking for.

Have a great trip. BA is a fun city and Iguazu is an amazing place.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:04 PM
pat

I hate the taste!
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 03:39 AM

I guess I will have to try it at least once. Not fond of tea....what, if anything, does it taste similiar to? Is it just very strong, or sour, or....?
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Cindy,
I am a mate fan, and I have my "fix" every once in a while, when I find somebody to share it with, the way AVRooster (a notable Fodor's Argentina expert) describes. But you can also drink it as a tea, and many health stores in the US, and also Trader Joe's if you have one nearby, sell mate in tea bags from a brand from Paraguay, called Guayaki. You may find the tea bag version more appealing for a beginner, and make sure to add some sugar and a splash of 1/2 & 1/2; this version of mate is called "mate cocido", and is what children get served in the schools in Argentina.
As for its taste, I find it similar to Thai tea, just a little stronger; my American wife, on the other hand, claims that it tastes like "burnt rubber".
Enjoy!
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Mate is full of caffeine and is great for those who need a pick me up after staying out really late, or for those who know they have a long night ahead of them.
With sugar, you will be zooming around with no thoughts of sleeping

Why do people think Argentine folk are so thin and stay out all night and go to work in the am ?

This is what my friends here have told me.
Also it is a big social thing where one person makes it and everyone shares it and chats..

I can't drink it, taste and all those leaves and all..
The coffee here is sufficient to keep me wired for the day

Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:06 PM

"tastes like 'burnt rubber'."

Great description! LOL!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM

if you like herbal tea you will probably like mate...especially mate cocido, which is mate in a tea bag.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 12:59 PM

That I've seen, both Paraguay and Uruguay call the cup a "guampa." It's more a horn than a gourd. Argentina doesn't use that term or that style of cup?
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Oh,now I'm not so sure about trying it... I generally dislike herbal teas--and I've never had any desire to try burnt rubber!

Really, it's served to school children? Sounds like a punishment, if what most of you are saying is true!

I thought it was a very popular drink in Argentina. Doesn't seem to be among this crowd!

I do still want to see the trees, though...

Cindy
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM

As is the case with so many things, Cindy, it's a matter of taste.

Suzie likes it and Siberia is a fan, so why don't you just try it and find out on which side you are?

Trust me, Cindy, you'll have a great time in our country, no matter whether you like "mate" or not.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM

As long as you like Malbec, you will be fine
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 02:24 AM

Mate is indeed very popular in Argentina and is a national addiction in Uruguay. It is not uncommon to notice people strolling around with a thermos of hot water, a mate and bombilla. You may not like it...or you may...but you should try it....preferably with sugar or sweetener at first...just for the cultural experience if nothing else....I prefer Malbec myself...and liquados and submarinos....