The Lost Iguana - comments

Feb 7th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

The Lost Iguana - comments

Any comments on The Lost Iguana in Arenal? I'm having trouble finding vacancies April 8 and 9th. They seem to have some available. Has anyone stayed there? Is it easily accesible and do you have views of the volcano?
Feb 7th, 2007, 04:51 AM

We stayed there last year and I'd highly recommend it. It is a bit of a ways from La Fortuna (10 or so miles?) next to the Arenal Dam and the Hanging Bridges. We hiked up to the Hanging Bridges - hotel will get you a 50% discount. Supposedly it had views of the lava flows but it rained solid the two days we were there - at best we only saw the bottom half of the mountain. THe flows do move though - if you google or search some of the threads in this sight, you'll find a website that shows where the current flows are & which hotels have views. The hotel has a nice two level pool - 1 heated, 1 not and a swim up bar. We stayed in one of the standard doubles (with two kids). You may want to splurge for one of the king end units with a huge bathroom with outdoor his and hers showers. We ate dinner there one night and it was good.
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM
2CR

We just stayed at the Lost Iguana. We liked it, the room was pretty simple but the balcony was nice. You do have a good view of the volcano from your balcony and if it is clear enough you can see the lava flow. We were fortunate and got it to see it all 3 nights we were there. We also enjoyed our dinner there and the included breakfast buffet. If you go to dinner there, I highly recommend the Chicken Poblano Soup-it was superb!
Feb 7th, 2007, 07:04 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has seen much wildlife at Lost Iguana? I'm trying to decide between there and Arenal Lodge--we'd really like to be able to see birds, animals and have some hiking trails on the hotel grounds, along with a volcano view--am I asking too much? LOL
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Lorrie, you will surely see birds and wildlife there. Hubby and I were there Feb. last year. Many hummingbirds right outside the terrace we had which were fun to watch. They are very territorial birds.

We walked the trails to the hanging bridges and there were more hummingbirds around the entrance. There were also toucans and many other types of birds as well as other wildlife.
Feb 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Lorrie -
We just spent 3 nights at Arenal Lodge. Had great views from the restaurant and from our room. But I think I'd go for Lost Iguana - We passed by there on the way to the hanging bridges and it looked much newer, nicer. The road up to the Arenal Lodge is intense, and although they advertise free shuttle service, they don't have one, and its $20-30 round trip to Tobacon or anywhere else.
We did see wildlife there, howler monkeys, macaws, a jaguarundi, birds - but I think you would see the same at Lost Iguana.
Also, if you get on of the chalets at Arenal Lodge, be prepared to hike up a very very steep hill every time you go to your room. I walked up to photograph the sunset once, and thought my legs would give out (but it was the end of a long day of walking, riding and zip-lining)
Feb 27th, 2007, 09:37 AM

I would not recommend Lost Iguana if viewing lava is your first priority. Lava does not flow in that direction and what you can see from your room, if lucky, is a streak of a flow at the far left side of the mountain compared to grand lava view along the road near Tabacon and El.

Feb 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM

We were in CR a few years ago and stayed at "tierra del Fuego" and thought it was marvelous. We sat outside of our Casita (private little house) and watched the lava flow down the side of the mountain. i hope they are still there.
Feb 28th, 2007, 02:14 AM

The direction of the lava flow can change any time according to the whims of nature. Therefore I wouldn't choose my accomodation based upon that alone.

We loved the Lost Iguana...but we were also fortunate enough to have a good view of the lava flow every night from our rooms! Every room at the Lost Iguana has a view of the volcano, assuming you can see it at all...sometimes it is hidden by clouds...

Feb 28th, 2007, 11:14 AM

We stayed there last week and loved the place. We had room # 1 which was lower level deluxe with an outdoor shower. It was about 10 miles from town but right next to hanging bridges. The rooms were very nice but we never saw the whole volcano because of rain. The patio has a direct view of the volcano but of course it depends on the lava flow direction at the time. It is easy to get to if you have a car. Email me if you would like any questions answered.