Search

The Highlands

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Highlands

Hello fellow travelers. We are leaving for Mexico on Feb 18th. We are renting a car from Mexico City and driving to Morelia. Besides the pink stars in Fodors any good advice on places to eat and things to see? We plan to go to the Parque de Mariposas to see the Butterfly migration. Our hotel has a day trip to the park. What are the best towns to hit in five days? Then fly to the Baja for kayaking and hiking. Thank you for your ideas!
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Pstzcuaro & the surrounding lake villages each with a unique craft can occupy several interesting days.
Uruapan with it's wonderful National Park & the near by ruins at Tinambato are also of great interest.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM

Be advised that Patzcuaro may be pretty cold in February because of the altitude. Wet, too. We needed a fire in our hotel room fireplace one night in August. Brrrrr

Old Feb 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Here is a link to my trip report from our Morelia/Patzcuaro trip. It was a couple years ago, but a fantastic trip. I highly recommend our tour guide.

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...rip-report.cfm
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for the great advice. We had a great trip. Stayed two nights in Morelia at Hotel de Virrey - don't buy the Fodor's suggestion to stay on the outside rooms. Noisy but great place. Saw the Mariposas; Patzcuaro had lunch on the lake and went to Santa Maria de Cobre. Had a great guide as well Miguel Angel Rubio Martinez ([email protected]). Then we were driven by Miguel to Queretero which we loved and stayed at the Casa de la Marguesa (gorgeous, roof top suite with hot tub, deck and city views - okay service), a historic inn. Awesome town center and spent three days there just having fun and catching spontaneous events and meals. Saw a national Falmenco Competition on the Plaza de los Armas etc. Just hung out as we were sick of the driving so we missed San Miguel etc but that is for next time. Flew to the Baja for five days after and stayed at La Mission which I highly recommend (see if you can get the friends and family package - lots of great discounts). Kayaked with the dolphins, snorkeled saw the sea lions and did some desert hikes. Great trip and easy to get around. Super friendly people. Had some great restaurant finds if you need them and discovered this awesome roof top garden bar restaurant in Queretaro. In Loreto we found this seafood shack called Vista al Mar on the sea with nothing around. My friend had to wait ten minutes for them to drive in a freshly caught snapper for lunch from a town just north. Happy travels! Jim
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Please share your restaurants in Morelia and Queretaro. we were recently in San Miguel and plan to go back soon to see the other cities nearby. Loved that area!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Glad you had such a great time in several of my favorite spots.