Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Thanks to all for the help in planning our second CR trip!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be returning in Feb. 2007 for our second trip and despite the fact that there is not enough time to return to Bosque del Cabo, we have a great itinerary planned!! We booked through Costa Rican Gateways to stay at Rancho Naturalista for four nights then Savegre Lodge for three nights and plan on doing plenty of birdwatching.

We contemplated adding a third location, but decided that we wanted to spend more time at each of the above lodges in order for the vacation to be more relaxing (since we usually come back more exhausted from our adventures then when we left!!)

Thanks in particular to shillmac, Jerry, Suzie2, and jczinn for answering my many questions---will post a trip report when we eventually go, already counting the days!

Melissa
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Have a wonderful journey! We also focused on birding for part of our trip to CR this year and visited Rancho Naturalista for a few nights. The birding was good, the area beautiful,good meals, and the staff pleasant. The first room we were put in though was not what we expected. Very cramped and somewhat smelly. Not at all what is shown in the web photo. Also the sound traveled through the rooms from below.The wife talked to management and we were able to move to a new section which was great. Cathedral ceiling, tile floors, window wall to the private view, outdoor sitting area, and totally quiet. If you desire a change from the assinged room I suggest rooms 10 or 11 in the new section.
Also if you ever return to the Osa, Bosque del Rio Tigre Lodge is a fantastic place for birding. We found the birds more numerous and accesible than even Rancho. The place is very basic accomodation but we were prepared for that. Happy travels.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Earthtraveler,

Thanks for the advice on the room at Rancho---would you suggest that I email Costa Rican Gateways ahead of time and ask to be put in the newer section or do they not have any control over room preference?

I know that things are already booking up for that week (President's Day week) and I expect that the lodge will be full when we get down there.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 01:28 PM

danandmelissa,
Have a great time! We are returning for a month in July and will visit Savegre again. Looking into Rancho Naturalista. If we were both avid birders, it would make sense, but my husband isn't all that interested, and I am fairly new at it. Still, RN sounds like a great place to relax for a few days. We especially like that area. Enjoy!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:20 AM

Wait until you walk out on to the balcony at Rancho your first morning [get out there at dawn.....] You will think you are in bird heaven......

And Savegre is just so beautiful.....

Jerry [envious in Toronto]
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Melissa,
I've read somewhere that CR Gateway will try to put you in a room of your preferance. The new section is up a short hill with paved walk from the main house. If you do, request room 10 in that section.
The room in the website photo is called the king and queen's room I was told by someone staying there. Nice room but it was above the kitchen, but had an entrance onto a balcony that looks over the bird feeding stations.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, Earthtraveler!!

Melissa
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:40 AM

Rancho has the most amazing wake up we have ever had. That balcony is wonderful.

We stayed in the other room with the balcony and the kitchen noises weren't a problem. Only time they would have been possibly would be in the morning but we were there to get up with the birds anyway. The rooms in the other building did look nice.

When the Erbs owned it the food was excellent. Hope they kept it up.

We had no problems with Gateway and they helped us with our whole trip that year.