teens at Bosque del Cabo

Old Sep 21st, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teens at Bosque del Cabo

These boards have been so helpful and our trip is almost planned for next july! I have an odd question... Is there enough to do for teenagers at BDC? My kids will be 13 & 15 while we're there and I just want to make sure there will be enough to do thre. I don't think there are water sports. Has anyone been there with teens that can give me some ideas?
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM

Oh my gosh yes! There's plenty. Our 14 and 19 yr old enjoyed every activity we did. The Pacific Trail was their favorite trail (not the hike itself, but once they got to the beach).I highly recommend the waterfall rapelling. The hike to the top of the waterfall is very challenging (climbing up other waterfalls) and that was the funnest part! They also loved the Dolphin watch and the Animal Sanctuary.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:47 AM

If your children love the outdoors, they will love BdC. Add to the list horseback riding, kayaking, surfing lessons. Do they play soccer? Sometimes there is a pick up game with the employees.

Don't ever feel as though you have seen every thing there is to see on a trails. We have done those trails over and over again over the years and it is always different.

I have seen kids there that were very unhappy but they just couldn't handle being away from the video games, computer, and tv.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM
fae

I would say they need to be into nature and hiking. Ours are so they love it. However, there are no stores, shopping, nightlife, TVs, internet, video games, etc. Ours though would head to the bar before dinner to have smoothies and visit with Jose and other guests.

It is truly one of the most relaxing trips we take. Since we have been to the Osa 3 times now, we don't feel a need to cram in alot of tours since we have done alot of them. I don't mean to say we sit around and do nothing, because we hike everyday and the kids surfed 3 days (beginners). However, there are plenty of activities if you want a fuller schedule.

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM
fae

agswimmer- Think I heard you son, Kyle, on the radio broadcast at halftime, of the Aggie game on Thursday. He did very well.

Can you tell me about the waterfall rapeling? I think that is new since we were there last in 2004. When we were at Lapa Rios in 2000 we went on a Wild Waterfall hike that was awesome but I believe that was on Lapa Rios' property. Did you take the Land Rover or hike to the waterfall rapeling?

We are returning in Aug. with our son's best friend's family. Their older daughter, who was a college swimmer at Trinity and also now works with Shamu and is in the Shamu show at Sea World, is going to go with us. Waterfall rapeling will be right up their alley!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM

fae--How cool for your friend that is a Shamu trainer! One of my sons friends is a swimmer at Trinity. Yes, that was my son doing the half-time interview. I just barely caught it too! I was watching the game on tv and went into the bedroom at halftime and heard him on the radio in there! I'm a proud mama!
We hiked to the waterfalls we rapelled down. 1st we hiked to a 40' falls and then after that a 100' falls. Hiking up thru smaller falls in the rain was just as much fun as rapelling down the bigger falls. As long as you are in good shape I think you or anyone would enjoy it.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM

hazelnut, we met a family that had two teen-aged boys while we were at BdC; they were having a blast. They took surfing lessons and also went deep-sea fishing. Swimming with the dolphins is also popular, as is the waterfall repelling that other people mentioned. Not to mention all the great hiking and wildlife. If your kids enjoy nature, they will love it. It wouldn't hurt to pack a few books or travel board games in case of rainy weather too. We met another young boy - looked like an older teenager that was actually staying there by himself - an avid photographer, and he was taking lots of pictures and really enjoying it.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Oh my gosh, volcano girl, you were there right before me, right? I met that kid as well. . .forget his name, Tyler perhaps? Very good birder, actually. I was impressed. He's the one who started leading those trips down to the frog pond at night that got Phillip so riled up (feeling that it infringed on his night hike). The young man left a day or two before I did. While I was there, he had been joined by friends of his family (New Jersey) and they all left together. I remember talking to them about him having been there alone for a week or two. Interesting. . . .
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM

yes, shillmac, that's him! I thought he was a pretty brave kid to be there all on his own. He was always changing lenses, carrying a camera - he spotted a poison dart frog on the path that we had completely overlooked. And you're right, he was a terrific birder - he seemed much older than his years.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM

He got a GREAT shot of one of those cat snakes eating some frog eggs one night down at the pond. And he pointed out a red capped manakin to me--my first. He was about 17. I've met several kids down there traveling alone. I find that interesting as it would be very hard for me to have sent my own at that age. It speaks volumes for the country, I think, that, given the right itinerary, a kid like that can have that independence and be perfectly safe.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 03:48 AM

Oh, that's weird....I was on flikr.com the other day and was just typing in random places in the search box....one of them was BdC and one (of the many, many, many) pic there was a shot of a snake eating a frog. Maybe the same guy? I'll have to look at when it was added if I can find again.