Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Swimming with the dolphins at Xcaret? Have you done it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2001, 03:00 AM
Tara

My 10 year old daughter and myself will be taking a mom/daughter cruise this June. We are stopping near Xcaret, so I booked a swim with the dolphins ($90 each). When I booked it though, they also had an "interactive session" with the dolphins at $65 each. Now I'm having second thoughts - does anyone know the difference between the two? Has anyone participated in one of the above? If so, did you think it was worth the money? I have already looked at the website but I wanted to hear some first-hand opinions.

Old May 6th, 2001, 06:40 AM
A Friend

We recently were going to Cozumel and my almost 9 year old daughter wanted to do the dolphin swim. I got her all the info so she could make up her own mind. After a couple of weeks of reading and talking she told me she didn't want to do it. In her own words "Dolphins were made by God like we are" What if a dolphin was caged up and it's mommy swam by and he couldn't go and kiss her?" She told me if she spent her money on something like this then that just gave people more reasons to keep them penned up. We went to Chaakaunaab to snorkle and you can see then dolpins there. She stook with her back to me and saw the holding tanks (about the size of single wide trailer). She saw one dolphin in each tank. As she turned around to me, big tears were rolling down her face. I am very proud of her decision and I am glad she could see with her own eyes the terrible way these animals are forced to live their lives. I hope you too can teach your daughter to do the "right thing" Have a great trip, maybe you can spend taht money on a great souvenier.

Old May 6th, 2001, 06:43 AM
A Friend

Sorry about all the typos in the previous post. I got so caught up in the story, I posted before I proof read myself.

Old May 6th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Anon

Praise to the previous poster. You are raising your daughter right. People cannot force their views on others but when given the info in proper perspective, most people make the right decision. It is time we understand that all creatures deserve freedom. <BR> To the original poster I hope you will also help your daughter to make the right decision and not participate in this slavery and abusement.

Old May 7th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Tasha

WWW.DOLPHINPROJECT.ORG - Learn the truth! <BR> <BR>Before you do the captive dolphin swim, please go to the website I posted above, it will give you an eye opening view of how cruel these captive dolphin swims really are to the dolphins. <BR> <BR>A few quick facts about captive swims: <BR>1. The capture: very violent, usually causing death to many of the dolphins during the capture and transportation. <BR>2. Isolation once in captivity: very mentally cruel to the dolphins, who live within their "pods" or extended family members. <BR>3. Physically: imprisoned in small pens, where their movements are extremely limited (in the wild, dolphins sometimes travel for hundreds of miles). High incidences of skin cancer, because of shallowness of pens. <BR>4. Kept hungry so that they will perform for the tourists. <BR>5. Very early death caused by stress, malnourishment (fed dead fish in captivity as opposed to live fish in the wild). Wild dolphins live to about 20, in captivity usually die within 5 years. <BR>6. High incidences of miscarriage, disease and infertity in captive dolphins. <BR> <BR>If you love dolphins, dont be a part of this money making exploitation, swim with them in the WILD instead! <BR> <BR>

Old May 7th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Christine

I swam with the dolphins at Ixcaret and they are not in small pens and not treated cruelly in any way. The people that care for the dolphins are marine biologists and you can see the loving way they care for them. The person that gave us our briefing said working with the dolphins "was the best job in the world." The environment is made to look just like their home environment and the mission at Ixcaret is one of protection of endangered species and environmental protection. They maintain an endangered tortoise breeding program and provide environmental education. I will never throw away a 6 pack ring without cutting it apart again. I wish people would take the time to investigate what they do not know and have never seen. Go swim with the dolphins and learn what they are all about.